Course ratings.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
In my defence, the car park reference was related to the vibe you get as soon as drive in to a place, but also my shareholding in Tarmac!!! (clubs 100 to 120 will be in a rush to resurface! :) )

Well I guess I now know why Mach Dunes isn't in the top 100 and mediocre courses with no "identity" such as the Castle Course are.

Clearly it's down to the type 2 sub base car parking facilities at Machrihanish Dunes. Such a shame the course design and condition are overlooked so heavily in favour of this. St Andrews Castle Course has a beautiful tarmac construction sweeping driveway and car park. Plus a great clubhouse which also takes it to another level. After all that's what matters?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you rate the tarmacadam based on thickness, consistency or yardage coverage, or are you a hard-arse who also goes full tilt and brings colour into it?

No. I was a bit miffed as I was forced into going up a potholed track to the visitors' overflow car park which is not very near the clubhouse. The main car park is surprisingly small for the quality of the club.

sunshine

Visit site
I like the gravel effect Tarmac, it looks classy and it is this attention to detail which elevates clubs to top 100 status. Much more important than the course.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Played Royal Aberdeen on Sunday. Would agree its possibly just about right in where I would rate it although I would certainly have it higher than Royal Liverpool and Kingsbarns. Splitting hairs, just feel its a superior layout to both with some of the best bunkering I have ever seen on a golf course. Royal Aberdeen really only has one poor hole in my opinion and even that is being harsh. Tremendous front nine is always the cry about RA but the back nine is its equal and what a challenge, just not as dramatic.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played Royal Aberdeen on Sunday. Would agree its possibly just about right in where I would rate it although I would certainly have it higher than Royal Liverpool and Kingsbarns. Splitting hairs, just feel its a superior layout to both with some of the best bunkering I have ever seen on a golf course. Royal Aberdeen really only has one poor hole in my opinion and even that is being harsh. Tremendous front nine is always the cry about RA but the back nine is its equal and what a challenge, just not as dramatic.
i would tend to agree about Kingsbarns.... to coin a phase.... over rated;) never played RL, though i did get an invite last week

i don't think Trump Aberdeen is rated highly enough.... has to be the best car park of any golf club i've visited

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
i would tend to agree about Kingsbarns.... to coin a phase.... over rated;) never played RL, though i did get an invite last week

i don't think Trump Aberdeen is rated highly enough.... has to be the best car park of any golf club i've visited

You think I should take a couple of points off Aberdeen as the car park spaces are a little tight when opening car doors?

Kingsbarns is beautiful but has so many mediocre golf holes.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
You think I should take a couple of points off Aberdeen as the car park spaces are a little tight when opening car doors?

Kingsbarns is beautiful but has so many mediocre golf holes.
i would mark RA car park down purely as someone who keeps forgetting to put the parking break on:ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Don't worry about the car park at RA, it's only a matter of time until the ladies club is fully integrated into the main club then they can knock down the ladies clubhouse and expand the car park 👍

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Don't worry about the car park at RA, it's only a matter of time until the ladies club is fully integrated into the main club then they can knock down the ladies clubhouse and expand the car park 👍

We can rest easy, here is the know it all of GM ratings and golf course design.

All hail D4S. Saviour of golf course ratings, know it all and general hero.

;)

D

Deleted Member 1156

We can rest easy, here is the know it all of GM ratings and golf course design.

All hail D4S. Saviour of golf course ratings, know it all and general hero.

;)
Better to know it than just think you know it ;)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No. I was a bit miffed as I was forced into going up a potholed track to the visitors' overflow car park which is not very near the clubhouse. The main car park is surprisingly small for the quality of the club.

We may now be in a new realm of rating the car parks, I thought it was just based on the quality, consistency and colour but now we have size vs quality of club argument. Top 20 - 150 car park spaces, top 50, 100 etc?

Should some of the old traditional clubs rip it up and start again with current sizing for SUV size vehicles not being adequate? But its like drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa some of the purists may say!!!!

The price of many top 100 course green fees may see less space needed for UK visitors though so dont need as much space - dont know which way to fall, in this debate!!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If car parks are being included in ratings can I ask for entrances and drives to also be added? I do like a sweeping driveway taking you to a course, tree lined obviously. This will hit links courses quite hard but I think the love for them will probably save them still.

D

Deleted member 3432

If car parks are being included in ratings can I ask for entrances and drives to also be added? I do like a sweeping driveway taking you to a course, tree lined obviously. This will hit links courses quite hard but I think the love for them will probably save them still.

Do we get extra marks for driving past the docks? :ROFLMAO:

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
You would rate St Georges Hill then....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do we get extra marks for driving past the docks? :ROFLMAO:
I'm afraid that is likely to take marks away, sorry.

You would rate St Georges Hill then....
I'm happy to take your word on that (y). I'll give them a Google. (edit - I've looked at the website and it looks a gorgeous place. It does not show the driveway but I can imagine it would be a cracker :D)

Best is a gated entrance, it does not need to have actual gates, just pillars. Name on the pillars goes down well. Turn in and go down a drive with manicured grass, trees, bushes etc. I personally like to see a hole or two as you drive down but I accept that is personal preference. One for judges to mull over in the bar afterwards :unsure:. The joy of an entrance like this is it builds up the anticipation, teases you with what is to come. Close House does this very well up here but they would lose points for their car park situation, separate for members and guests, guests a good distance from the clubhouse, car park surface is rough (n).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I'm happy to take your word on that (y). I'll give them a Google.

Best is a gated entrance, it does not need to have actual gates, just pillars. Name on the pillars goes down well. Turn in and go down a drive with manicured grass, trees, bushes etc. I personally like to see a hole or two as you drive down but I accept that is personal preference. One for judges to mull over in the bar afterwards :unsure:. The joy of an entrance like this is it builds up the anticipation, teases you with what is to come. Close House does this very well up here but they would lose points for their car park situation, separate for members and guests, guests a good distance from the clubhouse, car park surface is rough (n).

London club will score highly then as will the Grove

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We could drop the golf course rankings.

Best Golf Club Car Parks (LB may be best for senior judge there)

Best Golf Club Entrances and Driveways (I'm throwing my name in the hat for that job)

What is Mike's email again :LOL:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I'm happy to take your word on that (y). I'll give them a Google. (edit - I've looked at the website and it looks a gorgeous place. It does not show the driveway but I can imagine it would be a cracker :D)

If a 5-10 minute drive through some of Surrey's most expensive real estate floats your boat, this is the one for you. Security guards at the beginning of the gated community, barrier could do with a lick of paint though, and the Alsatians need upgrading. :cool: