Course ratings.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Always liked guessing games :D, can I have a guess please, had a feeling it was Prestwick yesterday and think your hints fits.

Due to play it soon, please say it was top notch and I haven't wasted my money :p

Spot on.

Very very strange course.

It is a fantastic experience, I actually preferred the "quirky" holes far better than the other holes. Apart from 8 & 10 which are decent, not great, I'm struggling to think of any great golf holes. The holes that run on the "top" part of the course lose all sort of identity and links feel and wouldn't be out of place on a parkland track.

There isn't a good par 3 on the course and the 18th is crap. Design wise there is not a par four or a par five anywhere as good as what is on Dundonald.

We had a great time yesterday and we paid £70 through Scottish Golf but everyone of us would not have paid anymore than £70 and none of us would rush back. Not a patch on Western Gailes not even close in terms of quality and layout.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Spot on.

Very very strange course.

It is a fantastic experience, I actually preferred the "quirky" holes far better than the other holes. Apart from 8 & 10 which are decent, not great, I'm struggling to think of any great golf holes. The holes that run on the "top" part of the course lose all sort of identity and links feel and wouldn't be out of place on a parkland track.

There isn't a good par 3 on the course and the 18th is crap. Design wise there is not a par four or a par five anywhere as good as what is on Dundonald.

We had a great time yesterday and we paid £70 through Scottish Golf but everyone of us would not have paid anymore than £70 and none of us would rush back. Not a patch on Western Gailes not even close in terms of quality and layout.

whats the car park like?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's subjective, but think there has to be an element of golfing politics going on. It always seems like the old Tournament venues, stuffy 2 ball clubs and Links courses are artificially high on any list.
Don't know if two ball clubs are necessarily stuffy. If I was in a popular club that got a lot of visitors I wouldn't want to be held up by huge numbers of visiting four balls.
Bit of a pain if you're a three ball though.

D

Deleted member 17920

It certainly is subjective, as to have Royal Porthcrawl or Royal Liverpool or Waterville above Tralee and RCP, I think is bordering on the criminal and testers/GM should be locked up for it;):devilish::devilish:

How many courses out of the top 100 have you played LQ, must be getting really high ?
I am into the 60s now Darren.

West coast of Ireland is going to be my nemesis I reckon.

Got a few more left for this year and got plans for more for 2020 ;)

D

Deleted member 21258

I am into the 60s now Darren.

West coast of Ireland is going to be my nemesis I reckon.

Got a few more left for this year and got plans for more for 2020 ;)

Will be into the 40s within a couple of weeks;), my nemesis are the ones that wish to force other players or caddies on at the same time. Its like going ten pin bowling as a couple and being told you are going to be joined by another group of 4 on the lane at the same time, just no thanks, I rather play Lydd :D

You and Richart have done loads(y)

Whats your personal favourite course and what one would you like to join as a member(ignoring access to location) ?

D

Deleted member 17920

Will be into the 40s within a couple of weeks;), my nemesis are the ones that wish to force other players or caddies on at the same time. Its like going ten pin bowling as a couple and being told you are going to be joined by another group of 4 on the lane at the same time, just no thanks, I rather play Lydd :D

Whats your personal favourite course and what one would you like to join as a member(ignoring access to location) ?
Good question.

Personal favourite has to be Royal County Down.

Then the one club I would love to join as a member would have to be North Berwick as its the most fun enjoyable course and friendliest golf club I have ever been to.

Although I would love to have a St Andrews links ticket at some point :)

D

Deleted member 21258

Going to have to get to RCD and take the risk of being paired up, everyone is 'bigging' it up so much, you teasers:p, wonder what I will have to agree to, to get to that area and playing those courses with the wife, probably another 4 days hell at a folk festival !!

Personal favourite for me is Tralee, but memberships wise would have to be a club not over run by visitors and has a great feel to it, so somewhere like Ganton or The European Club or Woburn in that order(to pick one, would be impossible whoops I cheated!!), would never bore of any of those clubs/courses, fairly quiet in their own way and would like to join for different reasons for each of them.

Anybody else care to name their favourite and the club to join ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Going to have to get to RCD and take the risk of being paired up, everyone is 'bigging' it up so much, you teasers:p, wonder what I will have to agree to, to get to that area and playing those courses with the wife, probably another 4 days hell at a folk festival !!

Personal favourite for me is Tralee, but memberships wise would have to be a club not over run by visitors and has a great feel to it, so somewhere like Ganton or The European Club or Woburn in that order(to pick one, would be impossible whoops I cheated!!), would never bore of any of those clubs/courses, fairly quiet in their own way and would like to join for different reasons for each of them.

Anybody else name their favourite and the club to join.

if you want a club that isn’t overrun by visitors then Woburn won’t be a choice - daily Corp days , Members tee times moved to satisfy visitors and Corp days - the last thing Woburn can be is a “Members” club , even down to shutting the bar because there is only a handful of people in there.

As for favourite course - then it’s Royal County Down for me

Club I would be a member and will go with clubs within acceptable driving distance

Dream club - Sunningdale

Links - RCP but a special mention to Littlestone - a number of forum members will testify its a superb welcome and a great course

But one of the best for me is Blackmoor

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Best I've played/enjoyed is a toss up between Portrush and Dornoch. Both simply fabulous, could happily play both every day for life.

I think Trump Aberdeen needs to get an honourable mention as it's not got a weak hole on it and the design is superb. The facilities are also tremendous.

Membership wise is a tough one. I love Western Gailes but refuse to turn up in jacket shirt and tie and leave in jacket shirt and tie so couldn't abide by their rules. If I wasn't a member where I am and money wasn't an object I think it would have to be Royal Troon ( based on my location) as it's a great test with great facilities.

Loved my day at Walton Heath, really need to make an effort over the next few years to play more of the classic heathland tracks.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

My favourite course is Royal County Down, but I couldn't be a member as it would beat me up too much.

Sunningdale would be my members club, though I do like West Hill, and obviously Blackmoor. All these clubs have a really nice feel to them, where you are made to feel welcome by everyone at the club. All the courses are very playable, and even I could play to my handicap on a good day. I also liked the feel of Formby, and probably one of the few links I could imagine being a member of.

Phil is right about Littlestone, and hence why we bought a 4 ball voucher to play there in a charity auction. Just don't play it in a hurricane when you get blown off the tee.:eek: Saunton is always very friendly and two top courses to play. We also got a great reception at Portrush, and one of the members even gave us a drink from his still in his locker.:) Course had a disappointing 17th and 18th, but of course for the Open they swopped them for two holes on the Valley course.

D

Deleted member 1418

Agree with others re. Sunningdale as ideal member's club - would be very happy there.

Links - Saunton. Very friendly club with two cracking courses and good facilities. And it's an area of North Devon that I love.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
My Favorite would have to be Birkdale, with honorable mentions to Dornoch and Sunningdale (i've not played Trump turnberry and RCD).

In terms of membership , for me its a tie between Formby and Ganton, but Formby probably edges it.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yesterday I had the great pleasure of playing Luffenham Heath which is in the "next 100". The course was superb but will probably stay in that position as the car park was completely inadequate.

Do you rate the tarmacadam based on thickness, consistency or yardage coverage, or are you a hard-arse who also goes full tilt and brings colour into it?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yesterday I had the great pleasure of playing Luffenham Heath which is in the "next 100". The course was superb but will probably stay in that position as the car park was completely inadequate.
I played there a couple of months ago, agree it isn't one of the 100 best car parks in the UK&I but you do get lovely views of the 1st hole if you park at the front 😊

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

In my defence, the car park reference was related to the vibe you get as soon as drive in to a place, but also my shareholding in Tarmac!!! (clubs 100 to 120 will be in a rush to resurface! :) )