Course open when it shouldn't

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25172

This is a topic which is of course very subjective, but how is it at your course in the winter?

Do they keep it open when you think it should be closed, or do they close to easily when you think it should be open?

Our course now is a proper mudbath. A real dream for pigs on some of the holes. I'll admit there are a few holes that do hold up better than others, but overall it's really bad imo.

I seem to be one of few amongst those that I know in my club in wanting the course to close in order for it to not be ruined for the real golf season, but speaking towards deaf ears, and it really annoys me.

I can write the script already now for how it's going to sound come May when there's big bald patches as the fairways haven't recovered, and we'll play pick and place even into the summer. :mad:

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Pyrford was totally in that metaphorical boat today. The greenkeepers came in to report to the GM on how wet it was so the GM declared no trollies. Half-a-dozen seniors in the car park immediately start bitching this was unfair as the website half an hour earlier said trolleys were allowed (I know, unreal). GM then gives in and says "trollies if you really need them". Naturally everyone takes their trolley and more churning up.

I was carrying and will be leaving next month anyway. But pretty poor behaviour all round towards the long-term upkeep of the course.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Id say my course gets it right. We're right next the the river tweed so it can flood, but also for that reason drains quite well too.

It's not often that we're closed, only had two days that it's been closed so far this year, and that's days where it has rained none stop the day before. Saturday was close to needing to be closed when we played early morning, two greens had puddles forming on them, but that was only because it rained the whole time we were out and they are right next to the fields and the water just runs down the hill onto them.

D

Deleted member 15344

We have the paid greenstaff make the decisions

If they say it’s ok then it stays open

We do go to hedgehog wheels in the winter and think at times carry only should be an option

Every club has 400plus head Greenkeeprs though and there will always be those that want it closed at the first drop of rain or those that think it’s fine as your ploughing through the mud

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
All other things being equal

...a course with a hotel where guests pay for golf breaks, only close if zombie apocalypse in progress. (and only then loses if the MD approves it)
...Proprietary courses with mostly green fee income will stay open more often when it probably shouldn't.
...Members clubs more likely to close ahead of the above.

Played Newport on Saturday . Trolleys allowed was mostly dry underfoot except for a couple of the usual spots.

Then it rained all night and it was closed on Sunday and Today. Expected reopen tomorrow. I think they try and balance play and protection... never easy.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Course is very playable but damp. Not suitable for trollies but they’re allowed which annoys me.
I carry in winter with a glass back so should everybody else. High traffic routes just look a mess at the minute and won’t recover till grass grows again.

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We are links so very very rarely ever close, the course will tend to close itself due to bad weather, otherwise it's usually open as it drains so well. We tend to have more traffic in the winter than summer as you can get 18 holes every week and our winter membership scheme is very profitable with a lot of parkland golfers joining us over the winter months and then heading back to their own courses when the season starts.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Course was a bit damp overall but 7th fairway was standing water. They can’t really close this hole without having a walk back round the 5th to rejoin the course at the 8th. They do close a loop of three that are at the lowest part of the course when it gets bad down there

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I mentioned in another thread that a lot of courses will be staying open until they absolutely have to close in order for members to not lose more golf.
It's a fine balance.
The head greenkeeper at Whipsnade told me that if they banned trolleys there would be next to nobody playing and next to nobody going in the bar.
But you have to protect your main asset.
If the course gets churned up during winter then it's going to take longer to recover come Spring. It will recover but not as quickly.
As Fragger said, this was one reason we left Whipsnade..too often the course was a quagmire yet it was open for trolleys and it was borderline whether it should have been open at all.
If water is coming over your shoes on the fairway then it can't be doing the course any good.
Fortunately, at Ellesborough, we don't have this problem.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Clay or not clay!!!!!

Links, heath, sand based courses recover quickly once the water drains and dont suffer much damage, those on Clay less so as the water gets retained and turns to mud in no times and in a lot of cases only gets worse and worse as winter continues. Not sure what the solution is apart from joining a course not based on clay, most cant afford to shut and protect the course as much as they would want/need to

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We're shortened by approx 200yds but still on grass tees & greens. They generally work on 'that the course closes it's self' ie. folk decide it's just too bad to bother.
Buggies & trolleys are on paths only so those who can, are carrying so you can walk through the roped-off areas.
Pick & place in the general-area & all bunkers GUR. Club-house closed but Half-way House offering a pretty comprehensive selection.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have changed things since to wet weather earlier this year when significant damage was done due to continued play on saturated holes.

This winter the roping to protect green surrounds went out during lockdown and they are even further from the greens. The greenstaff have added some hard paths in the worst areas and we have even rested a couple of holes which get particularly wet.

For once lessons were learned and acted on.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We never get trolley bans but do get buggy bans. Throughout the whole of winter we have posts set some distance from the greens and some of the tees and players are not allowed to take trolleys or buggies past the posts. We have a buggy route for when it is marginal.

We have two alternate greens for the wettest part of the course.

I think I have only ever been on the course a few times in years of playing with the thought it should be closed.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We were carry only today. It was very wet and muddy yesterday (with trollies) and we had a lot more rain during the and overnight. Actually surprised we weren't down to nine as the front usually drains well enough to remain open and playable. Our head GK will make a call first thing and it gets put on the website as soon as possible. It was definitely up well before the first tee time today.

I understand the issues seniors may have being unable to carry, but my rather hard line stance is tough. Protect the course for the majority and not so you can churn it up with a trolley for your Monday roll-up. If you can't carry a full set, get a pencil bag and stick a few clubs in and just have some fun.

We have roped significant areas off to protect the approaches to greens and to try and move traffic away from susceptible areas near the green which have been bare and compacted by the summer.

I have no issues with people posting the name of any club with poor drainage. Rather than that, than rock up at some places for a winter green fee and it been open but with water coming up on the side of your shoes even on the fairway and balls being lost, plugged on good shots. Blue Mountain did that to us once for a society rather than rearrange or refund and so did Sutton Green

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This is a topic which is of course very subjective, but how is it at your course in the winter?

Do they keep it open when you think it should be closed, or do they close to easily when you think it should be open?

Our course now is a proper mudbath. A real dream for pigs on some of the holes. I'll admit there are a few holes that do hold up better than others, but overall it's really bad imo.

I seem to be one of few amongst those that I know in my club in wanting the course to close in order for it to not be ruined for the real golf season, but speaking towards deaf ears, and it really annoys me.

I can write the script already now for how it's going to sound come May when there's big bald patches as the fairways haven't recovered, and we'll play pick and place even into the summer. :mad:
Ours is on clay, and should also ban trolleys more than they do. The last few winters have been pretty grim. It's not a problem that can be solved, however much money is thrown at it, so i don't get too wound up.
The only option is to cough up £25 once a week to play on a chalk course 35 mins away. So thats what we do.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
My last 2 rounds have been on courses that certainly Should’ve been closed. Maybe the threat of closing again due to covid is keeping some open