CONGU - End discrimination in golf competitions

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Fair point, but have you tried half a back swing and full follow through?
The pros kind of mislead, they have fantastic timing and balance. It is understanding that your not doing this everyday and working out your strengths and weaknesses. But as others have said they are content with their handicaps. I was just trying to change the thought process and approach.

Yes I have done the half swing. I didn't post to get tips.
My problem isn't so much my full swing, it's dealing with uneven lies and my short game like many others.
My point was if you think hitting the ball consistently with a 3 hybrid 150 yards is the answer for a 28 handicapper to suddenly start playing to an 18 handicap you will be very disappointed.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I have done the half swing. I didn't post to get tips.
My problem isn't so much my full swing, it's dealing with uneven lies and my short game like many others.
My point was if you think hitting the ball consistently with a 3 hybrid 150 yards is the answer for a 28 handicapper to suddenly start playing to an 18 handicap you will be very disappointed.

Don't worry I won't be disappointed, as long as you enjoy your game that's what counts. The point was to think differently. It worked for me and still works for me I have tailored my game around my yardages. You will find most of the pros and low singles play to favoured yardages, they minimise risk when required.
They find consistency and build a game around it. But the handicap system is there for us all to compete against one another.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is like the cyclist v the motorist argument you will never get an agreement as everyone has an opinion based on their own ability.
But it would seem to me that divisional comps do make sense as I would always rather play someone close to my own hcap rather than giving or receiving lots of shots.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it is ok with you, i will post on whichever part of the thread I want, i was not aware that we had to have our posts approved by you first.

Spot on!!

However, in youre thread on opening a golf store in NI you suggest otherwise :rofl: :rofl:

Loads of times... :D

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am 100% behind any initiative to make golf more inclusive, more open and more accessible.

This however achieves none of those, it does nothing to end discrimination.

Competitive golf has to run alongside accessible golf. No signature from me either...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I looked at the petition but even as a high handicap player I couldn’t dream of signing it

Several reasons
• Just the reference to things like slavery, votes for all etc says to me the issue isn’t being looked at in the correct context
• There are plenty of comps with divisions or where max handicap are allowed, to bother getting worked up over the minority of comps that have a max cap
• It’s not even close to discrimination to set a max handicap, it’s just a condition of entry of that particular competition (or even a condition of membership to some clubs/courses)

Whether an issue even exists is down to the real reason why the comp organizers set an 18 limit. It boils down to this:
1. They do it to better ensure a quality of play(er) within the field - then it’s all good for me
2. They do it simply to prevent a 28 handicap standard of player winning their comp – then it’s still good for me (just be honest about it)
3. They do it because they think no one should get more than a shot a hole – then it’s not good for me

I’d still consider giving the field a 3 stroke head start to enter comps 1 & 2 (especially if they are fundraisers etc) but comp 3 can go take a jump for my cash

golfcitydweller

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
no other sport equals out the skill level apart from golf ..top tennis players don`t give the lesser talented players a 1 set head start !..the lesser player have to improve there skill if they want to win .. and having gone to 90% in 4 ball and full diff in singles some not all higher h`cap players don`t feel the need to improve as there getting more shots than before ..only in golf eh ...wouldn`t say that`s equality !!

golfcitydweller

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
craigg surely if you played a 26 h`cap in singles you give him full diffrence yea .. 26 playing a 11 is diff of 15 !! not 22 as you have stated ...think you need to sharpen up on your subtraction ..

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
no other sport equals out the skill level apart from golf ..top tennis players don`t give the lesser talented players a 1 set head start !..the lesser player have to improve there skill if they want to win .. and having gone to 90% in 4 ball and full diff in singles some not all higher h`cap players don`t feel the need to improve as there getting more shots than before ..only in golf eh ...wouldn`t say that`s equality !!

If you're playing at your local club and any prizes are up for grabs then handicaps MUST be used. How many 28, 18 or even 10 handicappers are gonna enter if they know there's someone of 2 playing. They'd have no chance.

Id imagine most people have started with high handicappers and not offered to play with no shots when against a better player. Strikes me as people trying to protect their chances of winning once they've had the advantage ALL beginners are afforded.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I read with a smile that David Bernstein, David Davies, Greg Dyke, Alex Horne and David Triesman believe the FA is run by elderly white men, and that suggestions for improvement are systematically road-blocked often before discussion.

They could so easily have been describing golf.

So much for freedom of speech, equality, and removing discrimination.

Every golf club member can obtain an authorised handicap, and then compete equitably world-wide regardless of golfing prowess.

However, the rules of golf allow clubs to have competitions with a maximum allowance of say 18 for men. This means one chap who scored 4 more than his/her handicap could hand in a scorecard with say 90-16=74. Another golfer with a handicap of 28 who scores 4 better than his handicap would write 94-18=76. Guess what, the player who played worse relative to his handicap would win!!

If anyone feels the rules should be changed (for both men and women), please sign the petition to persuade CONGU to End DISCRIMINATION in golf competitions: https://www.change.org/p/congu-end-discrimination-in-golf-competitions

Still only the 1 post from this guy!

So not particularly inclined to support the petition!

However, I do support the concept that comps should be played off proper handicaps!

If there IS to be any limit of handicaps in comps, they should simply be restricted to the particular value deemed appropriate - e.g. 18 as per the 'maximum allowance' stated. That said, I have a feeling that the issue has crept into these comps because higher handicapped players have wanted to participate - I know that was the case in one run in one of my old clubs!

So it's a non-issue really!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Actually, many tennis clubs do operate a handicap system.

I am firmly of the belief that the best golfer on the day should win and that doesn't happen very often with handicap golf. That said, if there wasn't a handicap system, club golf as we know it would die and I don't think anyone wants to see that happen.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

A handicap system has been an absolutely fundamental part of what makes the game so great - right from the earliest recorded records! Even the abuse of whatever system is in place is 'useful' (would you actually want to do business with a 'bandit'?)!

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
craigg surely if you played a 26 h`cap in singles you give him full diffrence yea .. 26 playing a 11 is diff of 15 !! not 22 as you have stated ...think you need to sharpen up on your subtraction ..

So where did I state any of that nonsense smart arse? Think you need to sharpen up on your reading skills. Maybe start with 'Janet And John' books. Please get your facts correct before making a fool of yourself.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
When I was into competitive tennis Volkeswagon initiated a handicap system where lesser ability players had, say, a 30 love start in each game - it never really worked though as a good server/player would only lose if he double faulted or hit out if court

D

Deleted member 16999

Actually, many tennis clubs do operate a handicap system.

I am firmly of the belief that the best golfer on the day should win and that doesn't happen very often with handicap golf. That said, if there wasn't a handicap system, club golf as we know it would die and I don't think anyone wants to see that happen.
Surely though, there's no Sport in the world were the best Golfer/Player/Team wins every time on the day, there are always exceptions, upsets etc. Even scratch comps only give the best score on the day not necessarily the best Golfer, imo the confusion is caused by the word best and how we define it.