CONGU - End discrimination in golf competitions

BillJones4080

Visit site
I read with a smile that David Bernstein, David Davies, Greg Dyke, Alex Horne and David Triesman believe the FA is run by elderly white men, and that suggestions for improvement are systematically road-blocked often before discussion.

They could so easily have been describing golf.

So much for freedom of speech, equality, and removing discrimination.

Every golf club member can obtain an authorised handicap, and then compete equitably world-wide regardless of golfing prowess.

However, the rules of golf allow clubs to have competitions with a maximum allowance of say 18 for men. This means one chap who scored 4 more than his/her handicap could hand in a scorecard with say 90-16=74. Another golfer with a handicap of 28 who scores 4 better than his handicap would write 94-18=76. Guess what, the player who played worse relative to his handicap would win!!

If anyone feels the rules should be changed (for both men and women), please sign the petition to persuade CONGU to End DISCRIMINATION in golf competitions: https://www.change.org/p/congu-end-discrimination-in-golf-competitions

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Private members clubs can do what they like.... if you don't like it join another club. Our clubs medals are full handicap but the roll ups are sometimes max 18

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
Well times are changing! Slavery has been abolished, women can vote, and equality is a key part of modern society

Seriously..?

D

Deleted member 15344

:rofl:

It's way to early for April Fool

Far too funny

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
First of all Morning Bill and welcome to the forum.

To an extent I believe what you say re old doods running golf, but the same could be said of cricket, football deffo, rugby, in fact most sports within this country. It is old Skool. I have said the hcap system works well, but for me even if you win a comp under hcap score, you should be docked. Don't think it should be radically altered though.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
'No man with 2 arms and 2 legs should ever have more than one shot per hole'



Never mind, soon they will be able to get 2 shots per hole, full h/cap in knock outs and be able to enter their own scores under the USGA system.

60 points anybody?

D

Deleted Member 1156

There are valid reasons for competitions having a max handicap allowance and I agree with them, sounds to me that you may have a chip on your shoulder?

As a matter of interest, what is your handicap Bill?

Sorry but I won't be signing your petition.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
We had a 36 handicap man playing in our last club Seniors qualifier, as allowed by the latest CONGU Handicap rules. He still came nowhere near winning because he is a rubbish golfer! Doesn't stop him enjoying the game and benefitting from the walk though. :)

Last edited:

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Why? What's your reasoning apart from being elitist?

Very presumptuous of you to call me elitist when you don't know me. My reasoning is simple and has been discussed many times before I should think. 28 handicapper playing a 5 handicapper receiving 2 shots on a par 3 hole in matchplay. May as well give him the hole and move on.

I'm off 19, why shouldn't I be allowed to enter handicap comps / roll ups

I didn't say you couldn't enter. Maybe I worded it wrongly. There should be a definite divisional cut off point of 18 across the board. You are still free to enter the lower division regardless of your handicap, but you must play off 18.

Golf is for everyone

Absolutely agree, but if you are serious about winning competitions, then you will put the work in and improve. There comes a point when the handicap system starts stacking up unfairly against the golfer who has put countless hours of practice in and has achieved a low handicap, and I believe that point to be at 2 shots per hole. Just my opinions so don't count for much really, but that is how I see it.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What does it have to do with CONGU? If a club wants to limit the handicap for a competition that's up to the club and nothing to do with CONGU. Full handicaps are still used for calculating adjustments.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
There should be a definite divisional cut off point of 18 across the board. You are still free to enter the lower division regardless of your handicap, but you must play off 18.

Why 18? Seems somewhat arbitrary. Why is one shot a hole OK but 1.06 shots per hole not OK? Is there some basis to the limit you're suggesting or have you just picked that number because it makes the maths easy? What would the impact be on participation if 18 were the competitive limit?

Presumably you have a handicap yourself, do you think that those with a lower handicap resent you for not "putting the work in" but still being able to win now and again?

Club golf, on the whole, is a handicap game - it's fundamental. I presume (although I've never checked!) that there are scratch competitions out there for people who don't agree with the principal of a competition being won by anyone other than the best golfer.