CONGU Changes 2018

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
For information
CONGU CHANGES 2018
Changes to the CONGU UHS System have recently been announced. In view of the proposed introductionof the World Handicap System (WHS) these changes have been kept to a minimum and take into accountsome of the options likely to be adopted in the WHS, principal of which is to encourage players to submitmore scores to their handicap record.
The changes, which come into effect on the 1st of January 2018, are:

• Retirement of Club & Disability Handicaps – As a result of their low impact these have been removedand replaced by a new Category 5 for Men and Category 6 for both Men and Women, providing for amaximum handicap of 54.0 for all golfers. Players will be able to maintain a Competition Handicap inall six categories. Upward adjustment for all categories will remain at 0.1 and downward adjustmentsfor Net Differentials below Buffer Zones will be 0.5 for Category 5 and 0.6 for Category 6.
    After 1st January 2018 Handicap Committees can increase handicaps above the current limits of 28.0and 36.0, and they will also increase above those limits automatically as a result of above Buffer Zonereturns in Qualifying Competitions and Supplementary Score submissions.
  • Supplementary Scores – Relaxation of the rules to allow an unlimited number of score submissions peryear and removal of the restriction of one per week. However, the restriction on Category 1 playerswill remain in place.
  • Mixed Tee Competitions – Reinforcement of the single CSS Adjustment Calculation. Having a single CSSadjustment for two or more competitions will provide a more equitable value when one of thecompetitions has a very low number of players. To overcome the technical IT implementation issues,the approach agreed will be to enter all scores into a single competition (and so a single CSS AdjustmentFactor is calculated) with a facility within the software to allow the results to be separated for eachgroup of competitors.
  • Definitions – Confirmation that cards submitted for Initial Handicap Allocation are included in thedefinition of Qualifying Scores for handicap purposes. Accordingly a player whose handicap is allocatedon the basis of such submitted scores under Clause 16 will automatically be allocated a CompetitionHandicap status.
  • 9 Hole Competitions – Introduce the option of 9-Hole Medal Competitions and 9-Hole OpenCompetitions. For handicap purposes, the 9-Hole Medal scores will be converted to Stableford and willappear as stableford on the players handicap record.
  • Handicap Adjustments – Confirmation that the adherence to Appendix M (Guidelines for HandicapReviews) is mandatory, not optional.
    There will be no new hard copy of the CONGU® Manual, but an updated online version will be available onthe CONGU® website, where a full summary of the changes will also be posted.
    This document represents the substantive changes for 2018 – other changes, which are largely forclarification purposes, will be highlighted in the online documentation

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
From my point of view the interesting point is about club handicaps, it looks like we are going to have a lot of players with handicaps of over 36 soon.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
From my point of view the interesting point is about club handicaps, it looks like we are going to have a lot of players with handicaps of over 36 soon.

Oh joy! :D

The good thing for me is a joint CSS adjustment for mixed tee comps. Would be a real plus at my club where women's comps always use the small field calculation at the moment.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Confused on the Club HC, they will be CONGU HCs, or have I completely misunderstood your post?

Currently with the club handicap system , if someone has the maximum competition handicap (for ladies 36) they cannot go higher unless they request it, with the change and the introduction of cat 6 then anyone who is on 36.0 will be subject to automatic increases if the do not buffer in a competition.

D

Deleted member 15344

It was always going to happen - as soon as they announced the club HC it was a stepping stone to Comp HC going to 36/54

upanddown

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For information
CONGU CHANGES 2018
Changes to the CONGU UHS System have recently been announced. In view of the proposed introductionof the World Handicap System (WHS) these changes have been kept to a minimum and take into accountsome of the options likely to be adopted in the WHS, principal of which is to encourage players to submitmore scores to their handicap record.
The changes, which come into effect on the 1st of January 2018, are:

• Retirement of Club & Disability Handicaps – As a result of their low impact these have been removedand replaced by a new Category 5 for Men and Category 6 for both Men and Women, providing for amaximum handicap of 54.0 for all golfers. Players will be able to maintain a Competition Handicap inall six categories. Upward adjustment for all categories will remain at 0.1 and downward adjustmentsfor Net Differentials below Buffer Zones will be 0.5 for Category 5 and 0.6 for Category 6.
    After 1st January 2018 Handicap Committees can increase handicaps above the current limits of 28.0and 36.0, and they will also increase above those limits automatically as a result of above Buffer Zonereturns in Qualifying Competitions and Supplementary Score submissions.
  • Supplementary Scores – Relaxation of the rules to allow an unlimited number of score submissions peryear and removal of the restriction of one per week. However, the restriction on Category 1 playerswill remain in place.
  • Mixed Tee Competitions – Reinforcement of the single CSS Adjustment Calculation. Having a single CSSadjustment for two or more competitions will provide a more equitable value when one of thecompetitions has a very low number of players. To overcome the technical IT implementation issues,the approach agreed will be to enter all scores into a single competition (and so a single CSS AdjustmentFactor is calculated) with a facility within the software to allow the results to be separated for eachgroup of competitors.
  • Definitions – Confirmation that cards submitted for Initial Handicap Allocation are included in thedefinition of Qualifying Scores for handicap purposes. Accordingly a player whose handicap is allocatedon the basis of such submitted scores under Clause 16 will automatically be allocated a CompetitionHandicap status.
  • 9 Hole Competitions – Introduce the option of 9-Hole Medal Competitions and 9-Hole OpenCompetitions. For handicap purposes, the 9-Hole Medal scores will be converted to Stableford and willappear as stableford on the players handicap record.
  • Handicap Adjustments – Confirmation that the adherence to Appendix M (Guidelines for HandicapReviews) is mandatory, not optional.
    There will be no new hard copy of the CONGU® Manual, but an updated online version will be available onthe CONGU® website, where a full summary of the changes will also be posted.
    This document represents the substantive changes for 2018 – other changes, which are largely forclarification purposes, will be highlighted in the online documentation

Where did you get this from?

Was on their website and can't find it. Nothing on Scottish Golf website either.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not as many as you think if the HC committe are doing their job.

I got 410, so with a few buffers thrown in and a couple of cuts when I get it up in the 30's/40's, I reckon it will probably take about 450 comps.

Challenge accepted!! 😂😂

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

After 1st January 2018 Handicap Committees can increase handicaps above the current limits of 28.0and 36.0,

"CAN" being the operative word.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Oh joy! :D

The good thing for me is a joint CSS adjustment for mixed tee comps. Would be a real plus at my club where women's comps always use the small field calculation at the moment.

You are not the only Club like that! In fact 'small field calc' was/is the norm at 4 of the 5 clubs I've been associated with over the years - in different parts of the country! And it was pretty frequent at the other too!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
After 1st January 2018 Handicap Committees can increase handicaps above the current limits of 28.0and 36.0,

The over buffer increases will be compulsory I think?

Looking forward to the day when I can give 49 shots in matchplay!!

D

Deleted member 15344

And then the bit after that said that HC will automatically increase above 28/36 after Supplementary Scores and Comps scores etc

So it’s saying that HC can now increase people above those limits ( well from 1st Jan ) and the computer system will automatically do it when Comp scores are submitted

It’s not going to get a positive reaction and suspect 99% of clubs will introduce a HC limit on their comps

D

Deleted member 21258

It’s not going to get a positive reaction and suspect 99% of clubs will introduce a HC limit on their comps

Why should it be golf is so resistant to change. Silly really, we should be encouraging people to play in comps etc.

Some people need 54 + shots, think of the older ladies(my mum would be an example, never shot under 140 in 6 odd months of playing, but plays in comps), and tbh quite a few at our club are not 36 handicappers. Also took Joanne about 2 years to get there, which meant when she started to enter comps she was just giving money to other people with no chance of winning, not much of a comp for her at that point..