CONGU Changes 2018

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Why should it be golf is so resistant to change. Silly really, we should be encouraging people to play in comps etc.

Some people need 54 + shots, think of the older ladies(my mum would be an example, never shot under 140 in 6 odd months of playing, but plays in comps), and tbh quite a few at our club are not 36 handicappers. Also took Joanne about 2 years to get there, which meant when she started to enter comps she was just giving money to other people with no chance of winning, not much of a comp for her at that point..

If you look at the handicap curve, the majority of women golfers fall into 36+ category, whereas peak men is around 12.

There is no need for men to get more than 28, simple brute strength means we can all get it round in a lower number than women much more easily

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you look at the handicap curve, the majority of women golfers fall into 36+ category, whereas peak men is around 12.

There is no need for men to get more than 28, simple brute strength means we can all get it round in a lower number than women much more easily

Be interested were you get figures omens HC as it's not consistent with information obtained at CONGU events.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

That's rubbish!

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Be interested were you get figures omens HC as it's not consistent with information obtained at CONGU events.

It was at a presentation three-four years ago given by the SGU/Scottish Ladies on a round the country tour. The dispersion of lady's handicaps is low among lower figures then takes a massive sweep up at 36, no not "rubbish" at all FairwayDodger.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was at a presentation three-four years ago given by the SGU/Scottish Ladies on a round the country tour. The dispersion of lady's handicaps is low among lower figures then takes a massive sweep up at 36, no not "rubbish" at all FairwayDodger.

At no club I have ever seen are the "majority" of female players off 36+. There are generally a very small number at that level only. So, yes, utter nonsense.

D

Deleted member 21258

Mens Handicap curve can be seen here(usa) :-

http://www.thegrint.com/range/2013/03/golfers-handicap-distribution-average-golf-handicap/

Hughjars post made me look at our club.

We have 55 active handicaps for ladies of which 16 out of 55 are 36 handicap(therefore 29%, fairly high - not low at this club, took me by surprise the % of 36 handicappers)

Also quite a number of 30-36 handicappers as well, but these are not relevant to getting handicaps that people can actually play to and the new rules and liverpoolphils negative post.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Mens Handicap curve can be seen here(usa) :-

http://www.thegrint.com/range/2013/03/golfers-handicap-distribution-average-golf-handicap/

Hughjars post made me look at our club.

We have 55 active handicaps for ladies of which 16 out of 55 are 36 handicap(therefore 29%, fairly high - not low at this club, took me by surprise the % of 36 handicappers)

Also quite a number of 30-36 handicappers as well, but these are not relevant to getting handicaps that people can actually play to and the new rules and liverpoolphils negative post.

TY, pretty much the curve for Men in Scotland too.

As for women, my club would be somewhat better, 43 ladies, 7 @ 36, 6 @ 30-35, 13 in the teens, and one single digit who won't be a member for 2018.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why would clubs want to introduce a HC limit for their comps, Opens maybe. Most of the players who will get handicaps higher than the current limit will be existing members who cannot play to the higher limit who will now get handicap increases.

The simplest thing to do would be to change the divisions so that the higher handicapped payers are only competing against each other. We already do this in our Seniors section with divisions being reviewed on a regular basis so that the number of players in each Division are roughly equal.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got 410, so with a few buffers thrown in and a couple of cuts when I get it up in the 30's/40's, I reckon it will probably take about 450 comps.

Challenge accepted!! 

As Old Skier says -if handicap committees are carrying out monthly handicap reviews there will be quite a few players who will get a handicap increase pretty quickly after it is implemented. I can think of several players at our club whose names appear on the list every month but do not get adjusted because the are already at Congu handicap limits.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why would clubs want to introduce a HC limit for their comps, Opens maybe. Most of the players who will get handicaps higher than the current limit will be existing members who cannot play to the higher limit who will now get handicap increases.

The simplest thing to do would be to change the divisions so that the higher handicapped payers are only competing against each other. We already do this in our Seniors section with divisions being reviewed on a regular basis so that the number of players in each Division are roughly equal.

Yep, or you could use the outdated way of barring members from comps. In the old days it was around 18 now they want to disenfranchise members not able to play to 28.

There are better more inclusive ways.