Competitions over multiple days

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
(I'm posting this on behalf of my wife, who has been press-ganged onto the ladies section's competition committee at our club).

Here is her query:

A request has been made that rather than play our weekday/weekend medals and stablefords on a specific day that:

• At the weekend the round could be played on either Sat or Sun
  • In the week, the round could be played on either Tues or Thurs
The purpose of this would be to allow more people to enter each club competition.

Note: Currently there are a maximum of around 12 entrants to either the weekday or the weekend competition.

Questions:
a) is this allowed under Congu rules and, if so
b) does anyone know how it could be set up using Club Systems software?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes its allowed, but by Congu rules you are supposed to set each day up separately and calculate a separate CSS for each day.

If you "choose" not to do this then the easiest cheat to the system is just to set the comp up for the last date that it can be played on and then calculate just the 1 CSS, albeit you wont be popular with the purists

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been a while since I had a play with the ladies system but I thought they had an alternate day option under their comp set up for just this kind of thing but as I mentioned it's been about a year since I've been into the dark side.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Clive,
She should ensure the following are documented before they crop up and chaos ensues!
1. Whether players can play the course before the day they enter to play ie should they play the competition round at the earliest opportunity? Implications to rules regarding practice (which should also be clarified)
2. Who wins! Daft though I tight seem this can be a hugely emotive subject when course conditions have the ability to be so varied, and weather factors. With CSS being established for each day it has happened that people argue that it's score relevant to CSS are more relevant than points or nett to par. This becomes most emotive when someone gets cut and loses to someone who doesn't (and it's even been known for them to lose to someone who goes up 0.1!)
3. Accepting fundy's well made point I would seriously recommend going by the book where handicaps are concerned!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes its allowed, but by Congu rules you are supposed to set each day up separately and calculate a separate CSS for each day.

If you "choose" not to do this then the easiest cheat to the system is just to set the comp up for the last date that it can be played on and then calculate just the 1 CSS, albeit you wont be popular with the purists

Choosing not to do this could lead to the club losing their CONGU licence and all members losing their CONGU handicaps.
It only takes one disgruntled member to complain.

Prize allocation is of course an entirely different matter where CONGU has no interest.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
To expand on Duncan’s first point, a player who has a casual game on the first day of the competition and competes on the second day breaches Rule 7-1b by practising on the competition course prior to her round. If you want to allow second day competitors to play social golf on the first day you need a condition of competition that permits it. It might be worded like this:

In terms of Rule 7-1b of the Rules of Golf, any player who chooses to compete on the second day of the competition is permitted to play on the competition course on the first day of the competition.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
To expand on Duncan’s first point, a player who has a casual game on the first day of the competition and competes on the second day breaches Rule 7-1b by practising on the competition course prior to her round. If you want to allow second day competitors to play social golf on the first day you need a condition of competition that permits it. It might be worded like this:

In terms of Rule 7-1b of the Rules of Golf, any player who chooses to compete on the second day of the competition is permitted to play on the competition course on the first day of the competition.

It should also include permission to play on any days that are between the first and second days. I though someone had mentioned Tues and Thurs rounds?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
It does not need to mention days in between as these are not competition days. Rule 7-1b prohibits play on any day of the competition only.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
England Golf inter alia says:

For those clubs which have members who cannot play on the Main Competition Day, and providing the Club Committee is willing to grant the necessary permission, the Committee may arrange an Alternate Day for club competitions, complying with the Rules of Golf (Note to Rule 33-2b)

I wonder how often that happens

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks to all who have replied. Certainly food for thought.
The most important thing is not to violate Congu rules - the club certainly can't afford to lose its accreditation.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
England Golf inter alia says:

For those clubs which have members who cannot play on the Main Competition Day, and providing the Club Committee is willing to grant the necessary permission, the Committee may arrange an Alternate Day for club competitions, complying with the Rules of Golf (Note to Rule 33-2b)

I wonder how often that happens

My impression is that it is common amongst Ladies’ Sections rather than Men’s.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My impression is that it is common amongst Ladies’ Sections rather than Men’s.

Yes. That's because of the 'working ladies' who couldn't play on the normal ladies' day during the week.
Remember pre-equality when ladies couldn't play on Saturdays because of a club rule or a strictly enforced (by some men) convention. So the were 'allocated' a ladies' day. Commonly Tuesday is my impression.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it’s Thursday and Sunday for our ladies. Currently we are looking to run more joint stroke competitions next season but my view is that we will need to force the issue a bit to prevent that simply meaning that we have mixture of men’s groups and women’s groups going out and never a mixed group of men and women. Not sure how at the moment!

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Our ladies run alternative day comps but only at the start/end of the season when there isn't enough light to play after work, also on Thursday/Sunday. They are set up properly in the software (HandicapMaster) and they calculate a separate CSS for each day. Interesting point earlier about "who's won?" with regard to possible variance in the course difficulty but afaik they only use the points scored irrespective of CSS.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally, I hate "alternate day" comps. You can play in wildly differing conditions with different tee and pin positions so it has no real basis as a single competition.

As others said, you get a separate CSS each day for handicap purposes but that isn't used to adjust scores for the comp.