Club membership

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi I'm looking to join my local course hopefully by the end of the week I'm in two mind on what membership I should go for full or affiliate, what I'm wondering is what does this mean > Playing rights for Affiliate Members
Tuesday, Friday & weekday medals no restriction applied. what is medals

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Medals are official club competitions. You need an official handicap to win one of these. Some clubs will not let you play official comps without a h/cap, my own does but does not allows you to win, the card counts towards one of your 3 required to have an active h/c

Hopefully someone will explain in details the difference between the two types of membership.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depends on what your playing profile would be as to whether your affiliate membership would work. By the look of it you could play any of the midweek comps but not the weekend ones. If your likely to only play midweek then affiliate sounds fine, if you want to play at weekends then it would not be very good for you.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
But don't you get a h/cap once you join and put in score cards I'm not really good enough to start playing comps I just want to play golf really

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But don't you get a h/cap once you join and put in score cards I'm not really good enough to start playing comps I just want to play golf really

Correct. 3 cards, signed by another golfer get handed in and you receive your h/cap. There is nothing that says you have to play in competitions after that, just play social golf. The only thing to remember is that each year you have to play 3 competitions otherwise your h/cap becomes inactive and you start again with the three cards. Worry about that next year though when your confidence will hopefully have built up. Your three cards for this year will see you through until the end of 2019.

I should add, a lot of the comments on this forum are from golf nuts who love competitions and all that brings with it. Don't worry about that in your own circumstances. In every club there will be a good chunk of members who just play for fun and don't play in comps. The h/cap is then just a guide for friendly games, social rounds etc. I'm not knocking the nuts, just saying that there are plenty of social golfers out there.

Last edited:

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I phoned them up just there to find out as much info as possible the affiliate is ideal for me but they have only full membership available at the moment so I'll just take that then I have no restrictions what's so ever might have to wait a little longer to get my finances in check

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Still waiting for an interview to join this course, I'm getting rather impatient with it all to point were I'm actually getting put off by it and considering going elsewhere, apparently I need a meeting with the team captain and have to wait till he is available when ever that is, oh and I have to wear a collared shirt tie and jacket to the interview all to play golf, is this normal any advice would be great

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Reason I asked was that often some of the high end clubs still have that sort of environment where you need an interview and a proposer and seconder etc to join, but Sandyhills doesn't look like that sort of place. Looks decent enough though and wish my fees in the South of England were a tad under £800.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Still waiting for an interview to join this course, I'm getting rather impatient with it all to point were I'm actually getting put off by it and considering going elsewhere, apparently I need a meeting with the team captain and have to wait till he is available when ever that is, oh and I have to wear a collared shirt tie and jacket to the interview all to play golf, is this normal any advice would be great
Sounds farcical. I wouldn't be joining a stuffy outdated club like that myself.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Aye but add the £1200 membership fee and its more like £1100 per year for the first 3, I would never had thought sh would be like that either I'm thinking it might be a bit snobby

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
If the club is worth joining then the interview is just part of the process. This practice is dying out though. Dress smart and be polite is all you can do. Hope it all goes well when it comes around.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah I'd be on my a game for the interview I'm just a little put off by it as all I want to do is play golf I'm not interested in the rest of the crap that goes along with it

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Depends on what your playing profile would be as to whether your affiliate membership would work. By the look of it you could play any of the midweek comps but not the weekend ones. If your likely to only play midweek then affiliate sounds fine, if you want to play at weekends then it would not be very good for you.

...and I may be wrong in this - but I have a general feeling that a new member integrates better in a club with full membership than with affiliate.

I get the impression in our place the weekday golfers tend to have their set groups and playing buddies - whereas full members playing mostly weekends tend to mix with everyone - especially through the roll-ups. This may not be the case at all with the club you are thinking of joining but worth asking the secretary about midweek roll-ups.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm going for the full member then iv no restrictions at all, I was just going for affiliate as it suits my schedule through the week but can be restrictive on wkends