Club membership

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Aye I'll keep it I'm mind as you said stick to there rules and I'll be fine, I'm getting to know the etiquette of clubs now

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Just make sure you don't do that in the car park :D

Is that really a thing, people get upset over this? I often just take my shoes and change into them as I'm getting my bag / trolley etc together in the car park. But then I tend to play smaller courses (read less salubrious!) and am pretty new to this stuff...but...really? :mmm:

D

Deleted member 21258

Is that really a thing, people get upset over this? I often just take my shoes and change into them as I'm getting my bag / trolley etc together in the car park. But then I tend to play smaller courses (read less salubrious!) and am pretty new to this stuff...but...really? :mmm:

Yeah sadly so at some clubs.

Normally you will know as there will be a sign up in the car park telling you to not change your shoes in the carpark, so not a major problem.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It is for a couple of reasons really.
  • They're the rules of the club and so should be respected
  • People who change into and out of their shoes in the car park tend to bang the muck off them in the car park and drive away leaving someone else to clear it up. It makes the car park a mess eventually. And the green staff have better things to do than tidy up the car park.
Also, first impressions do count and if, as a new member to a club, you are seen disregarding one of the more basic rules, it doesn't get you off to a good start.

Last edited:

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Must admit to not having seen this particular rule anywhere I've played, but then that is quite limited tbh.

I'm fully in favour of respecting rules and agree standards need to be kept up, I'd just come at this from a different angle. If mess in the car park is an issue then members should be more pro-active about explaining reasons to use the blowers on shoes after a round etc. Change behaviours and culture around that, IMHO this is a better way of fostering a good club vibe.

Horses for courses tho, it just highlights the importance of getting a feel for a club before parting with hard earned.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I never change my dirty shoes anywhere but the blower thing, I do my shoes, cart and walk home, but I do change my Trainers to g shoes on the practice area at the first tee

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I've played at a whole range of courses and 90% of people change their shoes in the car park. Clearly there will be some who make a big deal out of it and in those circumstances, where you see a big sign in the car park, then clearly you change inside. For everywhere else, I'll keep doing what I and most other golfers do. Don't sweat about it is the gist, it is not normal

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Thought I'd update as its been a while since I started the process, I phoned them on friday to see how my interview went and if I'm in or out, the guys were still meeting but he said its looking good I should receive a letter by today if not phone back if I want, I didn't hear anything so phoned today and the secretary is sending out the offer to me and I should have it in a few days, I take it that means I'm in, I hope so as its been a month

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thought I'd update as its been a while since I started the process, I phoned them on friday to see how my interview went and if I'm in or out, the guys were still meeting but he said its looking good I should receive a letter by today if not phone back if I want, I didn't hear anything so phoned today and the secretary is sending out the offer to me and I should have it in a few days, I take it that means I'm in, I hope so as its been a month

Hope its the news you want, can't say i'd be as patient as you seem to have been! If my club had taken a month to get back to me I would have joined somewhere else while they were thinking about it!

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks mate I do to, there has been contact throughout the process I just didn't think it would have took over a month to be accepted or refused, i was interested in other courses and if I drove I'd of joined another but this is my local course and i can walk there in 16mins and I can travel to other courses on occasions

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Don't get too excited until you have the letter or hear something from someone in power there to say its definite. Hope you get the right result, can get joined quickly and enjoying the new home soon

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
What club is it ?? can't be too many clubs around your way that would have a waiting list, given membership is down all over I'd have thought they'd be falling over themselves to get you in, unless it's Loch Lomond or something like that.

D

Deleted member 15344

What club is it ?? can't be too many clubs around your way that would have a waiting list, given membership is down all over I'd have thought they'd be falling over themselves to get you in, unless it's Loch Lomond or something like that.

You would be surprised - there are plenty clubs with waiting lists , we have one , a few others have them in the area , one has a 5 year one at the moment .

There are clubs that will be suffering but they will be the ones with courses that aren’t great

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If its a ye olde fashioned member's club it can take at least 4 weeks. Application goes in mid month, and gets 'posted up' on the notice board for 2 weeks to give members time to object to the application. This means it misses the end of month committee meeting and there's a 4 week wait for the next meeting.

That's the worst case scenario. Thankfully most clubs have moved on from that process, but if the committee only meet once a month... potentially up to a 4 week wait.

At present you're only missing iffy weather and wet courses. Not much help if you're itching to get in but it'll happen pretty soon by the sound of it.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't get too excited until you have the letter or hear something from someone in power there to say its definite. Hope you get the right result, can get joined quickly and enjoying the new home soon

Too late for that😀 aye a hope it goes the way I want, its costing me a fortune in pay as play on other courses and transport

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site

Sandyhills Glasgow I thought the same but they don't seem to be actively looking for members, I was looking at others and they all were needing members sandyhills must be doing something correct they also just added an extension to the club house with 3 showers and more lockers

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
If its a ye olde fashioned member's club it can take at least 4 weeks. Application goes in mid month, and gets 'posted up' on the notice board for 2 weeks to give members time to object to the application. This means it misses the end of month committee meeting and there's a 4 week wait for the next meeting.

That's the worst case scenario. Thankfully most clubs have moved on from that process, but if the committee only meet once a month... potentially up to a 4 week wait.

At present you're only missing iffy weather and wet courses. Not much help if you're itching to get in but it'll happen pretty soon by the sound of it.

That sound like the process I'm going through just now application went in at the end of March waited 10 days for interview then a committee meeting on Friday there, club house guy said today I'll get an offer send out with prices and I'm sure he said invoice too can't mind he also said on Friday when a phoned its looking good