Club membership

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
You would be surprised - there are plenty clubs with waiting lists , we have one , a few others have them in the area , one has a 5 year one at the moment .

There are clubs that will be suffering but they will be the ones with courses that aren’t great

May be down south but not to many up this way is my understanding but that depends on the club, Blairgowrie for example are loaded, not many others are near me.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
After doing a load of research on clubs the universal theme was membership is down across the board the drink drive ban up here has had a massive impact on most club houses and the rise of pay and play is also a factor

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
That sound like the process I'm going through just now application went in at the end of March waited 10 days for interview then a committee meeting on Friday there, club house guy said today I'll get an offer send out with prices and I'm sure he said invoice too can't mind he also said on Friday when a phoned its looking good

They really should offer you a discount, because of their fanying about, you'll be to late to enter all their internal match play comp draws, and also missed the first few comps and chance to put your 3 cards for H/C in.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not too bothered about that my only interest right now is playing as much as I can, maybe once the summer kicks in I might feel I want to compete but right now I'm still learning the game and trying to be more consistent, it would be nice to round with some members as most my friends are not playing much these days

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Just went up and paid my invoice there and picked up my member tag and access card so that's me I can now go play when I want, thanks for the advice its very much appreciated

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just went up and paid my invoice there and picked up my member tag and access card so that's me I can now go play when I want, thanks for the advice its very much appreciated

Enjoy, Sandyhills is a good course and has a great clubhouse

virgilvdk

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
May be down south but not to many up this way is my understanding but that depends on the club, Blairgowrie for example are loaded, not many others are near me.

It certainly isn't the norm anymore, when I started playing 30 years ago, most of the private courses were off limits unless you knew a member, these days those same courses are struggling for new members and pretty much all offer cheap visitor deals. I think the whole interview thing shouldbe consigned to the past, its very off putting for a lot of potential members.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
It certainly isn't the norm anymore, when I started playing 30 years ago, most of the private courses were off limits unless you knew a member, these days those same courses are struggling for new members and pretty much all offer cheap visitor deals. I think the whole interview thing shouldbe consigned to the past, its very off putting for a lot of potential members.

The interview process really put me off but if its something that needs to be done I can understand, my main gripe with the whole thing was the amount of time it took

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
A quick question I'm looking at the fixture booklet I got yesterday and today there is team mach tee reserved at 5pm to 6pm I take it that means I can only play around those times, also there is a medal No2 (qualifier for captains team) on sat what does that mean for me if I'm only just wanting to play the course

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A quick question I'm looking at the fixture booklet I got yesterday and today there is team mach tee reserved at 5pm to 6pm I take it that means I can only play around those times, also there is a medal No2 (qualifier for captains team) on sat what does that mean for me if I'm only just wanting to play the course

where a tee is reserved I try and get out before the reservation time starts as you never know what you are going to be stuck behind. If I can't then it's worth leaving say half hour (so going off at 6:30pm) - especially if playing by myself - so I don't catch them too quickly. You'll maybe find that the 1hr reservation includes 15-20mins at the back end to give some room before following players - gives the last group in the match some breathing space...but not always the case. And even if the last player in the reserved slot goes off at 5:45pm you still shouldn't go off until 6pm earliest.

Just ask in your pro shop about the medal2 qualifier. That may not be an 'open to all members to enter' comp as there may have been some form of per-qualifier (such as winning a medal the previous year). But just ask.

I'll add - when I play (especially if I am by myself) immediately behind a match, I do not expect to have my etiquette playing rights as a faster player recognised. If I catch the match and one or more groups in the match wish to let me through, then fine - but if it is obvious to me that I am going to catch a match I slow down and hang back - or cut across in front of the match (if I can and not going to hold anyone up) - or indeed cut back and replay holes I've already played (less often)

Last edited:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I would also give a little breathing space at the front for the match as well. It's really annoying when playing in a match scheduled for 6pm and a four ball tees off at 5:55 and then holds the entire match up.

And congratulations on your new club too.