Club membership

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Sounds farcical. I wouldn't be joining a stuffy outdated club like that myself.

Sounds perfectly normal to me, a club wanting to interview a potential member to see if they were suitable. Farcical would be having to take down your honours boards because the council want to hold weddings in your clubhouse.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sounds perfectly normal to me, a club wanting to interview a potential member to see if they were suitable. Farcical would be having to take down your honours boards because the council want to hold weddings in your clubhouse.

Normal maybe a decade ago and definitely still the norm at a few places. Turn up appropriately attired, be polite, and do what you need to do to get in. I would hope a club still using this process is worth playing so if its as good as the fees and requirements suggest the OP should have a decent new home

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hang on in there Sandyhills is a good course with a good selection of holes even tho its a bit hilly and the clubhouse is very tidy and the grub is good.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I do like the course iv played there a few times and the club house is clean tidy and looks beter than some iv been in its just the process of it all to become a member is not what I expected and is quite off putting, I'll persevere for the time being

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site
I do like the course iv played there a few times and the club house is clean tidy and looks beter than some iv been in its just the process of it all to become a member is not what I expected and is quite off putting, I'll persevere for the time being

For what it is worth the interview at my current club felt like it was more for my benefit than the club’s... I got to ask questions about roll-ups, comps, tee booking, the clubhouse etc. Of course they may also have been assessing my ‘suitability’, but interviews (inc job interviews) to me are a two-way street and I always see them as an opportunity to assess the organisation’s suitability to me, and get info that might not be readily available otherwise.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't really know what to ask I'm not really interested in anything other than playing golf when I want too, maybe in a few months I will be more interested in what the club offers but now its all about improvement and consistency

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I finally got my interview date for the 18th a week tomorrow so hopefully all goes to plan and I become a member i can also start my long road to lowering my score

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Good luck with the interview, I'm sure it will be fine.
At our club the "Interview" is more an introduction to the club. Explaining the course, the rules, helping if they need a handicap or to join a group, how to sign up for medals and comps, taking them through members benefits, advising the best times to play, show them around the club and generally try to make them feel welcome and part of the club.
We certainly don't ask them to turn up in Jacket & Tie.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
At our club the "Interview" is more an introduction to the club. Explaining the course, the rules, helping if they need a handicap or to join a group, how to sign up for medals and comps, taking them through members benefits, advising the best times to play, show them around the club and generally try to make them feel welcome and part of the club.

Many years ago one of our visiting party forgot to bring a dress jacket to Sandyhills. He wasn't allowed in the dining room .:eek:

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site

ill wear my suit like they asked and be my normal self but without swearing im just glad iv now got a meet and hopefully start playing

Many years ago one of our visiting party forgot to bring a dress jacket to Sandyhills. He wasn't allowed in the dining room .:eek:
i walked in with jeans and a northface jacket on to fill in my application, i wont be doing it again but no one took any notice

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
ill wear my suit like they asked and be my normal self but without swearing im just glad iv now got a meet and hopefully start playing

i walked in with jeans and a northface jacket on to fill in my application, i wont be doing it again but no one took any notice

Things have change for the better over the years, but they will still have some kind of dress code, best of luck mate.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks mate, i normally wear my golf gear anyway so don't think that will change I just change into my shoes before I play, I'm going to try get a locker so I can keep some spare stuff tho

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The important thing is not to be intimidated. Most golf clubs are extremely welcoming and are happy to help new members. I knew nobody when I joined my club but I chatted to people, joined in comps and they made me feel very welcome. I'm sure Sandyhills will be the same.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The important thing is not to be intimidated. Most golf clubs are extremely welcoming and are happy to help new members. I knew nobody when I joined my club but I chatted to people, joined in comps and they made me feel very welcome. I'm sure Sandyhills will be the same.

At the end of the day, you are potentially going to spend a large sum of money to join and normally it's a two way street. Yes clubs want a prospective member who will fit in and you want a club that's welcome and accommodating. I'm sure you'll be fine and once the process starts everyone will relax and you'll make a decent impression