Iron Set Recommendation

Duffy96

Visit site
Hi all,

i'm brand new to the forum and looking for some advise. I'm on the presupus of picking up golf as a hobby. I used to play a little as a child and spent a lot of time on driving ranges but my parents would never get me a membership to the local golf course despite buying me a full set of clubs.

As i'm finally an adult with disposable income i'm looking to finally get that membership. after 10+ years of not even touching a club.

Could anyone recommend a "good" set of irons that are fairly forgiving? or even some brands look at or stay away from. I'm looking to spend up to £200ish but have no idea what to go for. I've been eyeing up some Cleveland CG16's or 588 TT's but i haven't commit to anything yet.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi all,

i'm brand new to the forum and looking for some advise. I'm on the presupus of picking up golf as a hobby. I used to play a little as a child and spent a lot of time on driving ranges but my parents would never get me a membership to the local golf course despite buying me a full set of clubs.

As i'm finally an adult with disposable income i'm looking to finally get that membership. after 10+ years of not even touching a club.

Could anyone recommend a "good" set of irons that are fairly forgiving? or even some brands look at or stay away from. I'm looking to spend up to £200ish but have no idea what to go for. I've been eyeing up some Cleveland CG16's or 588 TT's but i haven't commit to anything yet.

Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome and good luck.
You'll get a lot of different advice on this, all of which worked for the poster, much of which will be the opposite of the previous/next poster.
What I'd recommend (which I didn't do) is to borrow an old set from a friend/family member etc (or use gumtree/freecycle) and see how you get on. After a while you'll have a much better idea of what might work for you.
I have a couple of sets of irons in my shed from my early golfing career which demonstrates what happens if no-one is around to suggest this!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where’s your nearest club.
Ask the pro if you can try some.
Our pro puts the clubs the members are selling for whatever reason in the pro shop. He takes a small % of the sale.
Usually because he’s sold them new ones
Although I know some don’t do this now
If they have a practice area they will let you try them out

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
First off, good advice from @pendodave . Going full steam ahead can lead to some trial and error mess ups.

Something that worked well for me, I was in a golf club and the pro shop had a bag of 7 irons that they were selling for £10 each, they had been demonstrators. I saw 2 that I liked and bought them. The next week I tried both out at my club, found the one i liked most and then bought a set off ebay. This was about 4-5 years ago and I still have them now, Ping G25's. £20 well spent, I sold the demonstrators on Ebay and near enough got my money back. If there are no shops that have such a bag then check out single irons on ebay, gumtree, freecycle etc to see which you fancy and try them out.

The Ping G series, 20, 25, 30 are pretty forgiving and hold their value well. If you get a set of G25's for example and then decide you don't like them then you will get most of your money back.

Duffy96

Visit site
Welcome and good luck.
You'll get a lot of different advice on this, all of which worked for the poster, much of which will be the opposite of the previous/next poster.
What I'd recommend (which I didn't do) is to borrow an old set from a friend/family member etc (or use gumtree/freecycle) and see how you get on. After a while you'll have a much better idea of what might work for you.
I have a couple of sets of irons in my shed from my early golfing career which demonstrates what happens if no-one is around to suggest this!
This is probably the best idea, i have a habit of diving in head first. i think i'm going to do as Lord Tyrion suggested and buy a few single irons. And see how i get on. Thanks for the Advice.

Duffy96

Visit site
First off, good advice from @pendodave . Going full steam ahead can lead to some trial and error mess ups.

Something that worked well for me, I was in a golf club and the pro shop had a bag of 7 irons that they were selling for £10 each, they had been demonstrators. I saw 2 that I liked and bought them. The next week I tried both out at my club, found the one i liked most and then bought a set off ebay. This was about 4-5 years ago and I still have them now, Ping G25's. £20 well spent, I sold the demonstrators on Ebay and near enough got my money back. If there are no shops that have such a bag then check out single irons on ebay, gumtree, freecycle etc to see which you fancy and try them out.

The Ping G series, 20, 25, 30 are pretty forgiving and hold their value well. If you get a set of G25's for example and then decide you don't like them then you will get most of your money back.
Thanks for the Reply, i think this is what i'm going to do. i'll see what i can find on the market. thanks for the help!

Duffy96

Visit site
Where’s your nearest club.
Ask the pro if you can try some.
Our pro puts the clubs the members are selling for whatever reason in the pro shop. He takes a small % of the sale.
Usually because he’s sold them new ones
Although I know some don’t do this now
If they have a practice area they will let you try them out
Only small ones without a shop unfortunately. i might have a trip to a bigger one soon. thanks for the reply.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The sets you are looking at are both good sets.

Although now over 10 years old you will still find reviews for them.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I had a set of 588tt's, lovely irons with plenty of forgiveness, my only issue was the stock Cleveland actionlite shaft was a bit on the light side .