Club champs and honours board comps

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
NR Round one. Lost two eggs on 17!
+3 Round two.

-2, -1 won ours this year which was tremendous shooting in the weather we had.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
6th in the proper club champs.
Took the nett prize, no idea if there is a board for that somewhere in the clubhouse but I doubt it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We only have a board for The Scratch, TBH you don't stand a chance unless you are + fig in that. Guy who won it shot 66 gross in the first round which is 5 under par and 7 under CSS.

I played OK in the first round and had a 0.2 cut, but played shocking in the 2nd round and missed qual by 1 shot in the end.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
These days the closest I get to the honours boards is when I spend a Saturday afternoon updating them with the winners from comps held in the last 6 months or so.

I thought 2017 was going to be my year after getting my name up in 2005 (Matchplay Champion), 2008 (Scratch Salver Winner), 2011 (Club Champion), 2014 (Club Captain) but I crashed and burned badly. Nothing doing in 2018 so need to see if I can find some mathematical progression that might forecast a victory in 2019!!!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Not a cat in hells chance of winning the scratch club championship but on about 6 of the various honours boards. Went to my 1st club for a friendly match and was on their honours board for a win in my 1st ever year of playing (1998)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am baffled by this. Some clubs have multiple champions? Handicaps? Divisions? Its rubbish.

The club championship has to be a scratch tournament, to identify the best golfer.

Ours is 36 hole medal, followed by a top 16 matchplay, all off scratch.

I have not entered it this year, but I normally do. There is a prize for the best 36 hole score which is handicapped, but the winner is very definitely not the club champion.

Not sure it's that baffling?

We have a championship but its called the Apostles Cup - only players off 9 or better can enter. The club recognises that that will exclude the majority of the membership, so we concurrently run a "second division championship" called the Apostles Trophy. Players off 10-20 can enter that. Both are 36 holes strokeplay played off scratch. Some kudos goes to winners of both but it's the winner of the Cup who is club champion. So, yes, we have divisions, but we only have one champion.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Will never win the scratch prize. We do have a handicap prize as well. Both have their own honour boards. However it is only the scratch winner that's called club champion and rightly so.

Not won the handicap one but have won several other of the club majors and feature on the boards.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
At ours the proper club champ is of course gross, but there is a nett comp also to bolster numbers and make it a great weekend. Handicap order in day 1, low first. Day two in order of gross scoring from day 1, low last. So typically the last group is the key one and we watch them play 18.
Actually finished 5th gross a couple of years ago which off my handicap was a good result but didn't count for anything, and was 3rd in the nett this year which gave a shake hand & voucher prize.
Board wise, I managed to win one in August last year. That qualified me for a trophy comp this year of previous years winners (so theoretically easier to win due to reduced field) and I managed to win that on countback. Probably me done for a few years now!

D

Deleted member 15717

Ours is next weekend. As most, have a gross and nett competition running, but it’s the gross that is club champ.

36 holes in a day, two tee start in handicap order. It’s a battle!

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Don't think I will ever be good enough to even enter the regular club championship. We do have a netto club championship for us mere mortals, but the winner does not get the name on the board. The only chance I have of ever seeing my name up there is by getting lucky and making a hole in one. There is an extra column for that.

I did win our founders cup trophy two years back. That's a netto comp, but with a huge trophy (really, think Wanamaker ... whoever bought it went a bit crazy) and I got my name on that. That's about all the fame and glory I'll ever get at my club, I'm afraid.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our club championship is 36 holes and only those with a handicap of 12 or better can enter. It’s fairly low key as there are less than twenty entries. Was discussing this and thought they should make more of it by having a handicap medal over 18 holes on the same day to get more interest.

I did win a stableford comp earlier this year which is a board comp.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A club near me had a Mens and Ladies Champion both off scratch. For years, juniors could not win the Mens championship and had their own event. Clue was in the title.

Then along came a good junior whose dad was the Mens Captain. First he tried to change the rules for the Mens event to let juniors compete and this got voted down. So instead he and a couple of other sub-committee members created an "Overall champion" event. His kid wins and now they are moving the trophy boards around in the clubhouse to put the Overall Champion board front and center and the others over to the corner.

Not dodgy at all.

D

Deleted member 15344

A club near me had a Mens and Ladies Champion both off scratch. For years, juniors could not win the Mens championship and had their own event. Clue was in the title.

Then along came a good junior whose dad was the Mens Captain. First he tried to change the rules for the Mens event to let juniors compete and this got voted down. So instead he and a couple of other sub-committee members created an "Overall champion" event. His kid wins and now they are moving the trophy boards around in the clubhouse to put the Overall Champion board front and center and the others over to the corner.

Not dodgy at all.

Our juniors have always been able to enter the main club champs - you want the best golfers in the club playing to find the club champion not the best golfers only over the age of 18 etc

If a junior is good enough to win the club champs then they should be able to challenge for that - anytime someone has challenged that it’s normally from people worried that they get beaten by juniors

There are other clubs in the area that don’t allow juniors to play in a lot of comps - thankfully we do so those juniors are moving to us , we now have some of the best juniors in the county and our club will reap the benefits of that. Clubs denying juniors access to comps doesn’t help the game at all

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our club championship is 36 holes and only those with a handicap of 12 or better can enter. It’s fairly low key as there are less than twenty entries. Was discussing this and thought they should make more of it by having a handicap medal over 18 holes on the same day to get more interest.

Our club is the same but has a h/c comp for the 'others' to increase people playing on the day. Club Championship is 36 holes, this year over successive weekends but that is the choice of the captain. Next year it will be back to 36 in one day. Max 12 h/c, this year we had fewer than 10 enter. They also run a comp for all other golfers. It used to be for 12 and over but this year they opened it to everyone, in effect those in the club champ were also included in this one but it was a h/c comp, not scratch. Also 36 holes, instead of 18. I played the previous year, didn't bother this year. I don't know if one of the lower h'c golfers won the other comp, I lost interest once it was opened up.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our juniors have always been able to enter the main club champs - you want the best golfers in the club playing to find the club champion not the best golfers only over the age of 18 etc

If a junior is good enough to win the club champs then they should be able to challenge for that - anytime someone has challenged that it’s normally from people worried that they get beaten by juniors

Couldn't agree more with this. The Club Championship is surely to show who is the best golfer in the club, it is the ultimate comp of the year.

D

Deleted member 16999

Not dodgy at all.
Our Juniors are not allowed to enter any of our Men’s Comps, we don’t allow females to enter Men’s Comps either.
Men can’t enter Junior or Female Comps either.
Neither category pay the same membership fee as the men and are therefore treated differently.
Old fashioned? Yes, should it change? Maybe, but we’re a members Club and that’s what was voted for.
Ability was irrelevant.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Whether or not they were eligible or not was not the issue at this club - it was the actions of the captain to change things just to suit his own son that really wound up most of the membership from what I had heard.