Cheating on the course

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Anything more than a casual flick really.

'hitting' it is still fine, which i think is a good bit more than 'flicking' it

edit: just looked it up to refresh my memory. hitting it is OK there's no description that it should only be flicked or one handed etc. I think its more about the intent of hitting it, if its as a courtesy to the course its fine (obviously not fine if the intent is to get a sneaky practice strike)

Last edited:

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What if he does come forward and denies it - there is no more evidence to irrefutably prove it happened as it is to disprove it didn't. It would be one persons word against the other. Then what, trail by combat? I'm not condoning cheating - but the informant should've done something there and then or on the day itself then it could have been addressed there and then.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Oh brilliant, another cheating thread, best pop out to Tesco (other supermarkets are available) for some more popcorn.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
If he came forward to deny it then surely he’s admitting he is the one that has been seen doing something so how can he then deny doing nothing. If he’s going to deny doing anything by coming forward now he’s admitting doing something wrong.

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
Interesting that a thread like this should pop up as unfortunately we've just had a case of cheating at our club. My club dealt with it differently to the one in the OP; they simply called the player to a meeting with the committee to respond to the allegations. In this case though it was pretty cut and dry. He had been reported by 3 separate people doing the exact same thing (kicking his ball out of rough and improving his lie). What was funny is that he denied the allegations but then just took his 3 month ban no questions asked. It left me feeling very disappointed in the individual because he was a very good Cat 1 golfer and someone I had played with on a few occasions and enjoyed playing with.

sunshine

Visit site
If he came forward to deny it then surely he’s admitting he is the one that has been seen doing something so how can he then deny doing nothing. If he’s going to deny doing anything by coming forward now he’s admitting doing something wrong.

Huh?o_O

sunshine

Visit site
'hitting' it is still fine, which i think is a good bit more than 'flicking' it

edit: just looked it up to refresh my memory. hitting it is OK there's no description that it should only be flicked or one handed etc. I think its more about the intent of hitting it, if its as a courtesy to the course its fine (obviously not fine if the intent is to get a sneaky practice strike)

This is interesting. In my first ever round at a new club, playing for handicap, I flicked a ball back towards the driving range as I walked up the 1st fairway. It was a casual one handed flick, and my playing partners raced over and told me this constituted practicing on the course. Made me feel really welcome. Was this rubbish? It was over 10 years ago mind.

sunshine

Visit site
Perhaps cheating did happen.

But a witness statement needs to be taken with caution.

So often what a person sees is not actually what is happening. This is potentially life changing for a member at a golf club, being accused of cheating. Losing friends, family, being outcasted.

Can the witness be 100%?

So what happens when someone is found guilty of cheating? Why is it so bad? Genuine question.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Doesn't seem like this has been handled very well by the club.

If it had been me I would have asked the person to come to the club for a private meeting with 2 senior committee members. Tried to sound them out and get them to admit their actions, with a reasonably lenient punishment of a ban from competitions for a few months, or a suspended ban and telling them that nothing would be made public.

The catch all e-mail makes it far less likely they will get an admission out of him. Also fires up the rumour mill.

And as plenty of said, if he decides to play hard ball when confronted it becomes 1 persons word against another which doesn't result in any kind of outcome for the accuser, the accused or the club.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
But if there is only 1 guy making the accusation and he defends himself by saying it didn't happen then he has signed for a correct scorecard.

The email from the club has already gave a guilty verdict all the guy can do now is either ignore it and put up with tongues wagging or go and say to the chairman "that didn't happen" and at that point you have a word v word battle.

The club should have never sent out the first email, you can't judge someone guilty without letting them defend themselves on the word of a single person, even if he is a filthy cheat.

So defend yourself. The deafening silence (as reported) speaks volumes.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
This is interesting. In my first ever round at a new club, playing for handicap, I flicked a ball back towards the driving range as I walked up the 1st fairway. It was a casual one handed flick, and my playing partners raced over and told me this constituted practicing on the course. Made me feel really welcome. Was this rubbish? It was over 10 years ago mind.
What you did was fine. I would steer away from anything that looks like a proper shot.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Doesn't seem like this has been handled very well by the club.

If it had been me I would have asked the person to come to the club for a private meeting with 2 senior committee members. Tried to sound them out and get them to admit their actions, with a reasonably lenient punishment of a ban from competitions for a few months, or a suspended ban and telling them that nothing would be made public.

The catch all e-mail makes it far less likely they will get an admission out of him. Also fires up the rumour mill.

And as plenty of said, if he decides to play hard ball when confronted it becomes 1 persons word against another which doesn't result in any kind of outcome for the accuser, the accused or the club.

Can't do that.

It's one persons word against another. You need corroboration.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can I just point out that in The Chairman's original email he writes cheated by kicking their ball out of the tree's...

Surely that too is an issue requiring that he be hauled up to account for himself?

Cheating at golf is one thing but the incorrect use of an apostrophe by a senior club official is beyond the pale. :eek:;)