Cheating on the course

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Didn’t seem to need corroboration at Court, Magistrates seemed to be able to make a decision.

I've done Small Claims Court on a few occasions and my experience was the same, both sides give their side of the story and the adjudicator gives his verdict

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Surely the important question is, were the accused or accuser using digital timing devices?
I think we should be told! 😉

Sorry..

D

Deleted member 15344

Blimey not sure where to start apart from i would suggest this wasn’t put on the forum in the manner It has been - doesn’t put many people in good light and has the potential to cause a lot of damage , especially putting the chairman’s words on

Mainly the way he has gone about it all is poor , broadcasting to the club is shocking and shows a lack of common sense and indeed control of the club , pity the members

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Can't do that.

It's one persons word against another. You need corroboration.

I'm aware, hence with a private meeting and potential offer of a lenient penalty - you may elicit a confession.

With going public straight away, you are less likely to get any kind of conclusion - in my opinion.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The basic problem here is this club and I am sure it happens at most clubs is that they don't have a policy or procedure that supports them to deal with these situations or if they do they are not aware of it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've done Small Claims Court on a few occasions and my experience was the same, both sides give their side of the story and the adjudicator gives his verdict
But in most cases there is some form of evidence to produce rather than just simple hearsay

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Therefore you require evidence of cheating so you're going round in circles.

Which is more often that not the testimony of whoever witnessed the offence as we have here, so no, I’m not going round in circles.

I am however out for the evening so I’m leaving it there.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Negative.

Merely the fact that you require some proof or evidence rather than an allegation.
No different in courts in the rest of UK!

Unfortunately, the 'life penalty' that is the stigma of 'cheating at Golf' doesn't (appear to) require the same level of certainty. The Club/Chairman appears to have handled this incident extremely badly!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
No different in courts in the rest of UK!

Unfortunately, the 'life penalty' that is the stigma of 'cheating at Golf' doesn't (appear to) require the same level of certainty. The Club/Chairman appears to have handled this incident extremely badly!

While I agree it's not an ideal situation. One persons word against another isn't going to stand up in any court never mind allow a golf club to make any form decisions/take any action unless the person who is alleged to have "cheated" makes any sort of admission which I would suspect is very unlikely.

So all said - I'll stand by my statement that you require some sort of corroboration to take decisive action as at present the only option that I can see being open to the club is pull the person in and ask for their side of the story.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Hmm who was it said there is a difference between not knowing the rules and cheating. Am sure said leather wedge exponent knew kicking a ball is not allowed and comes With the said Tag of Cheat.
We can all give our opinions of what could and should of been done in handling this. However Tashyboy is off to Tesco to get some Popcorn before they tun out. Looking forward to see how this pans out. “ Put me down for a four for three😉”

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
While I agree it's not an ideal situation. One persons word against another isn't going to stand up in any court never mind allow a golf club to make any form decisions/take any action unless the person who is alleged to have "cheated" makes any sort of admission which I would suspect is very unlikely.

So all said - I'll stand by my statement that you require some sort of corroboration to take decisive action as at present the only option that I can see being open to the club is pull the person in and ask for their side of the story.
And I agree with the above.

But you mentioned 'Scottish Law' (note the capital 'L')! Was that what you really meant? Scottish Law is no different to Law elsewhere in the UK, save for the 'Not Proven' verdict BiM mentioned. Golf Clubs anywhere in the UK are capable of making daft/disastrous decisions, as I believe has happened here!