Cat 1 golfers

AliMc

Visit site
I remember some years ago GM ran, over 2 issues, listings of all people with +, scratch and 1 handicaps throughout the UK. I think Dunbar where I play was pretty near the top, we have always had a lot of low handicap players. So I took a few minutes to peruse the club list and came up with the following:
Lowest handicap +4
+ handicaps = 11
scratch = 3
1 and 2 handicaps = 18
3 to 5 handicaps = 63
So in total 95, no wonder i haven't won much over my 39 year membership (played mostly of 5 or 6) a couple of scratch prizes and 2 club trophies.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember some years ago GM ran, over 2 issues, listings of all people with +, scratch and 1 handicaps throughout the UK. I think Dunbar where I play was pretty near the top, we have always had a lot of low handicap players. So I took a few minutes to peruse the club list and came up with the following:
Lowest handicap +4
+ handicaps = 11
scratch = 3
1 and 2 handicaps = 18
3 to 5 handicaps = 63
So in total 95, no wonder i haven't won much over my 39 year membership (played mostly of 5 or 6) a couple of scratch prizes and 2 club trophies.
I'd say having a handicap of 4 to 8 ish is the hardest to have as far as winning comps go. It's that area between not being able to compete for gross and not scoring enough to beat the higher handicap golfers having "a good day".

AliMc

Visit site
I'd say having a handicap of 4 to 8 ish is the hardest to have as far as winning comps go. It's that area between not being able to compete for gross and not scoring enough to beat the higher handicap golfers having "a good day".
You're correct, exactly what I have found over the years !

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Stoneham does pretty well here I think.

Lowest: +5.3
Total += 17
Scratch: 15
1+2: 27
3-5: 61

I always thought it was very competitive when I was there.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There no categories of golfers any more with the WHS.

The only reason for having them was because downward adjustment of handicap was different dependent upon which Cat you were in.

There are now only types

Scratch or better men, 2 or better Women

and the rest.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The only reason for having them was because downward adjustment of handicap was different dependent upon which Cat you were in.

There are now only types

and the rest.
I'm not sure what this has to do with the thread. It's about the number of low handicap golfers, 'categories' is irrelevant.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thank god for that off 6 I havnt won a thing for years.
So it’s my fault for not being good/ bad enough.;)
You are right it’s very difficult to win .

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

There are now only types

and the rest.
Just as well my mate off 28 reckons he’s a mid handicap now.
But given the limit now he is correct.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
it was sometime ago but we had something like 20ish scratch or better with the lowest +5, might be more now as loads of the youngsters are a couple of years older so must now be 10 juniors who are scratch as well. all the comps this year apart from one were won by scratch players all under 25...

D

Deleted Member 1156

Of course I did, but I read the thread title first.
Well in this instance the title is not relevant to the context of the thread, it is purely about the number of low handicaps at each club.
Glad we have cleared that up now ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We have 40 who would have been Cat 1
-2 is the best with another on -0.9
3 at Scratch and the rest between 0.5 and 5.4.
We have Ladies at -0.5, 0.6 and 4.2

D

Deleted member 15344

Our lowest is 0.7 and we have 20 at the old Cat 1

Lowest lady is 9.3

D

Deleted member 1147

Off 2.6 I’m the 36th lowest player at Kedleston.
According to my WHS details I’m in the top 2% in both Derbyshire and England, but only top 7% at the club.