Cat 1 golfers

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There no categories of golfers any more with the WHS.

The only reason for having them was because downward adjustment of handicap was different dependent upon which Cat you were in.

There are now only types

Scratch or better men, 2 or better Women

and the rest.
These are designated as 'elite players'. The only significance is who can make adjustments to their handicaps.

D

Deleted Member 1156

surely the OP showed the intentions of the thread in the last line of the first post.
I have no idea what you think the relevance of the last line is. The OP has highlighted the number of low players at his club then stated no surprise he hasn't won much off his handicap. What is your point? ?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have no idea what you think the relevance of the last line is. The OP has highlighted the number of low players at his club then stated no surprise he hasn't won much off his handicap. What is your point? ?

He’s highlighted the number of “Cat 1” players, hasn’t he? That’s the frame of reference for choosing players with a handicap of 5 and below surely.

D

Deleted member 15344

There no categories of golfers any more with the WHS.

The only reason for having them was because downward adjustment of handicap was different dependent upon which Cat you were in.

There are now only types

Scratch or better men, 2 or better Women

and the rest.

Sorry but that has nothing to do with what the OP was posting about

He just was highlighting the breakdown of the handicaps at his club - nothing more than that.

Dannyc

Visit site
Off 2.6 I’m the 36th lowest player at Kedleston.
According to my WHS details I’m in the top 2% in both Derbyshire and England, but only top 7% at the club.
36th lowest handicap off 2.6 says a lot about your course
I have family who live close to it in belper and Kilburn

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
For higher h/c the new system took around 2 shots off their h/c to give them their h/I, which then gets adjusted back up on most courses so you are back where you started. However, in theory everyone looks a little better.

Does this work the same for those at the lower end, as being talked about in this thread, or is the drop in h/I much closer so as to be negligible? If we are looking at numbers of low h/c golfers, does the new system massage the figures a little as it does the other end.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
For higher h/c the new system took around 2 shots off their h/c to give them their h/I, which then gets adjusted back up on most courses so you are back where you started. However, in theory everyone looks a little better.

Does this work the same for those at the lower end, as being talked about in this thread, or is the drop in h/I much closer so as to be negligible? If we are looking at numbers of low h/c golfers, does the new system massage the figures a little as it does the other end.
It really does depend on the spread of your scores.
CONGU was, relatively, slow to catch up with poor scoring. I stayed in the 7-8 bracket for some time, barely making buffers
I have some poor scores from The Zoo in my 20 and then a run of 0.1s for my first few months at Ellesborough
So the handicap went up by 0.7 over that time.
I then started playing better and got it cut by 3 full shots in the space of 2 months, down to 6.1
WHS kicks in and my index has gone up 0.6 and the slope means I get 8 shots
So I'm 2 shots better off than I was - which is quite a %age

Dannyc

Visit site

From what I’ve seen at my club amongst the lads I play with is that the lower handicappers have gone down and the higher your handicap is the more your handicap has gone up

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Given that the system is based around best scores it is much more likely that true single figure players will have had more rounds on their scores that are better than their UHS handicap so therefore their handicaps will have gone down.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
From what I’ve seen at my club amongst the lads I play with is that the lower handicappers have gone down and the higher your handicap is the more your handicap has gone up
same at Mine everyone that was 4 and lower are at least a shot lower, a couple of they guys i play with are 2 shots lower