Cat 1 golfers

D

Deleted member 3432

Mine has gone up from 5 under CONGU to getting 7 shots under WHS

#yearoftheploughingmachine :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same here. For various reasons, I had a poor year on the course with only a couple of decent rounds in comps - my handicap went up to 3 - and then WHS came in and I finished the year on 1.

Meanwhile most high handicappers gained shots and gain even more when you slope them for playing handicap.

Trying to be patient and see how it goes when comps on the full course begin but I fear it's the death knell for low handicappers in handicap comps.

Does your club not play in Divisions?

Where I play the first Division is 10 or better and comps are often won by the lower handicaps.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Same here. For various reasons, I had a poor year on the course with only a couple of decent rounds in comps - my handicap went up to 3 - and then WHS came in and I finished the year on 1.

Meanwhile most high handicappers gained shots and gain even more when you slope them for playing handicap.

Trying to be patient and see how it goes when comps on the full course begin but I fear it's the death knell for low handicappers in handicap comps.
As there are more higher handicap players than low, then if handicaps are correct the chances of a winner coming from the former group is greater. However the 95% adjustment to playing handicap evens it out.

Dannyc

Visit site
Also due to COVID and restrictions on behaviour we have had loads of new golfers at most clubs who most have started with higher handicaps than there standard of golf is like most golfers do when they start the game

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Stoneham does pretty well here I think.

Lowest: +5.3
Total += 17
Scratch: 15
1+2: 27
3-5: 61

I always thought it was very competitive when I was there.
i played Ryan Henley in a scratch match at Stoneham a few years ago. He was Hampshire county champ at the time. I didn't win. Where is the butt kicking emoji?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
As there are more higher handicap players than low, then if handicaps are correct the chances of a winner coming from the former group is greater. However the 95% adjustment to playing handicap evens it out.
3/4 handicap used to even things out. 95% doesn't do Jack!!!!!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also due to COVID and restrictions on behaviour we have had loads of new golfers at most clubs who most have started with higher handicaps than there standard of golf is like most golfers do when they start the game

That is one of the big advantages of the WHS . Initial handicaps are based upon the best score of 3 if the next score is better it is based upon that and if the next score is even better it is based upon that.
Under the WHS a player gets to their correct handicap a lot quicker than they would have done under the UHS.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...Under the WHS a player gets <closer> to their correct handicap a lot quicker than they would have done under the UHS.
See my insertion - in bold!
An improving player, especially one with few results, is a 'problem' for both systems! In UHS, vigilant Handicap Secretaries had, at least at one stage, the facility to monitor and adjust such members.