Car Recommendations

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Much of it is down to driver and driving style as well though. I have never had or needed winter tyres and I'd hazard that we get worse snow up here.

Winter tyres aren't just about snow, they are also about temperature. There are limits to how well even an experienced and careful driver can control a car when traction is down. Great that you are a good driver, but winter tyres will give you more margin for error or fate.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Winter tyres aren't just about snow, they are also about temperature. There are limits to how well even an experienced and careful driver can control a car when traction is down. Great that you are a good driver, but winter tyres will give you more margin for error or fate.
Loads of online videos showing the difference between driving on regular tyres and driving on winters when it's snowy, same cars being driven. The benefits start from 7c onwards as you say though.

I'm the same driver but I can go anywhere in my car with cold weather tyres yet prior to them I had a number of questionable moments. I wouldn't be without them now, I drive to and from work on often untreated roads. Certainly less nerve-wracking.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Loads of online videos showing the difference between driving on regular tyres and driving on winters when it's snowy, same cars being driven. The benefits start from 7c onwards as you say though.

I'm the same driver but I can go anywhere in my car with cold weather tyres yet prior to them I had a number of questionable moments. I wouldn't be without them now, I drive to and from work on often untreated roads. Certainly less nerve-wracking.
Just run all- seaon tyres. The best of both worlds without the changing of wheels hassle and their storage;)

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Much of it is down to driver and driving style as well though. I have never had or needed winter tyres and I'd hazard that we get worse snow up here.

lol pretty sure I am an ok driver… literally 1% of slope on my drive and on 275 profile rear summer tyres, it would not budgens snow/ice packed driveway. Winter tyres on a car like that should be used in the uk4 odd months a year, I think sub 6/7 is the sweet spot temperature.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am considering doing this latter this year. My summer tyres won't have enough tread left to be worth storing and reusing. Considering Michelin CrossClimates or Continental All Season Contacts.
The Michelins have a great reputation. You won't go too far wrong with the continentals either to be fair, both great options. ?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am considering doing this latter this year. My summer tyres won't have enough tread left to be worth storing and reusing. Considering Michelin CrossClimates or Continental All Season Contacts.
I run Conti alls eason van tyres on my Transporter van. The grip difference in the winter or any time when wet is very noticable over summer tyres.
My youngest daughter now runs Goodyear Vector all seaons on her Ibiza, and even she say she can tell the difference in the winter or wet.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I have Vredestein Quatrac all seasons on my 5 Series. They are brilliant in the cold and wet and good enough to keep me going, and more importantly stopping in the snow.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
View attachment 36195View attachment 36196View attachment 36198
If you are willing to spend more money, get a Seat Arona, newer than this but with same or similar engine. Very good runabouts.
Looking to replace a VW Polo with something that is a bit bigger with a bit more boot space. Doesn’t need to be massively so and an 18 plate Arona is on our budget of £11k to £13k. Its needed for a lot of distance driving in the UK, reliability is more important than brand, kudos or embellishments.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking to replace a VW Polo with something that is a bit bigger with a bit more boot space. Doesn’t need to be massively so and an 18 plate Arona is on our budget of £11k to £13k. Its needed for a lot of distance driving in the UK, reliability is more important than brand, kudos or embellishments.

Honda civic or HRv , massive boots

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Kia Cee'd Estate?
1.6CRDi gets me 65mpg on along run, 50+mpg around town and has, so far, been absolutely faultless.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have been running an Arona 115 for just over 4 years. Very pleased with it. Economical and a lively engine.

IanMcC

Visit site
I was ridiculed at my work for my car policy, but I stick by it.
Find out the nearest dealership garage near you, and buy one of theirs.

A car is just a tool. Its only when it breaks that it creates hassle. If your garage is nearby, that lessens the hassle.

BTW, my nearest garage is a Ford one. My last car was a Focus which I had for 9 years, and this month I changed to.........another Focus.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would suggest something Japanese and petrol, or petrol hybrid like the Toyota Auris.
However I love my Mazda 3, and the boot takes my trolley bag without any club removal and trolley without having to put seats down or remove the parcel shelf.
The Mazda CX3 is also a nice car (wife has one) but the boot isn't as big.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was ridiculed at my work for my car policy, but I stick by it.
Find out the nearest dealership garage near you, and buy one of theirs.

A car is just a tool. Its only when it breaks that it creates hassle. If your garage is nearby, that lessens the hassle.

BTW, my nearest garage is a Ford one. My last car was a Focus which I had for 9 years, and this month I changed to.........another Focus.

Only good if the garage isn't rubbish tho? My vauxhall garage is awful

Majority of main dealers are rubbish round here

Where as a local independent garage has serviced my families cars for 30 plus years

Surely if you have a good garage that's all you need?

sunshine

Visit site
Only good if the garage isn't rubbish tho? My vauxhall garage is awful

Majority of main dealers are rubbish round here

Where as a local independent garage has serviced my families cars for 30 plus years

Surely if you have a good garage that's all you need?

Exactly, why limit yourself to the cars in the local dealership! Garages service other cars too.

By the way, how many families have you got? Secret double life?