Car Recommendations

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On our search for a replacement for a previous version Polo in the used market budget £12k-£14k we seem to be landing on looking at small SUVs. And in that category Mrs and son like the look of the Ford EcoSport 1.0t Ecoboost. I’ve test driven one and it seems nice and easy to drive and comfortable. But irritatingly the reviews aren’t brilliant. But should we really care if we like the look and feel of it. Anyone got any experience of this Ford.

Have driven Vauxhall Mokka and Crossland and again both fine but not sure. Not yet been able to drive a Seat Arona…and local Seat dealership were underwhelming when I popped along to them

I'd strongly advise against vauxhall.. or anything from the PSA group.. whilst I love the EV side of my car the actual build quality of the car is awful

So many cheap plastics , seat fabric ripped after 2 years had to get repaired

Just wouldn't recommend them at all

RichA

Visit site
I'd strongly advise against vauxhall.. or anything from the PSA group.. whilst I love the EV side of my car the actual build quality of the car is awful

I've never owned a Vauxhall but drove Vectras and Astras for many years at work. I found them to be truly awful vehicles in almost every respect other than mechanical reliability, which seemed solid.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've never owned a Vauxhall but drove Vectras and Astras for many years at work. I found them to be truly awful vehicles in almost every respect other than mechanical reliability, which seemed solid.
They were great for modifying back in the day though. I used to build mad projects with my mate until about 2010. GM used to build some highly decent engines. The C20LET was famous in car mod circles, it was a 2L turbo unit that was in the Cavalier and Calibra. We used to put them in Corsas and Astras.

My personal car for a while was a 2000 Astra with a 2.6L V6 from a Vectra that was then re-bored to 3L. Had a custom exhaust that had to miss out the middle box so was basically straight piped to the back box from the cat. Was LOUD!

It does amaze me now though looking back that the C20LET was a 2L turbo but could realistically only squeeze around 200-250BHP from it without some serious modification. Even my V6 was maxing out at 260BHP, obvs naturally aspirated though. HID has a Merc CLA 45S+ that is 421BHP from a 2.0 block! Madness.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can take a car under warranty to any competent / decent indie garage and they must use official parts to maintain the warranty. This is clear cut for servicing issues or similar. Good paperwork needed here.

If the car needs major repair (not servicing or parts swap) then it is recommended to use official dealers in this case but there is no strict legal obligation to do so. It just means it is harder to 'prove' to the manufacturer that work done for this case is done 'properly' with official OEM parts to maintain warranty.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a 1 litre ecosport focus, had a coolant leak on the turbo so was repaired under warranty and I got shot. I believe that fault has been fixed (was an 18 plate). You may wish to check if this fault was corrected.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Agreed…the Ford felt better build quality than the Vauxhalls. Is it telling that if I wanted more than a 30 day purchase warranty with a used Vauxhall I would have to budget £300-£400 for it. My understanding is that Ford approved used cars come with a 2 year used car warranty.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agreed…the Ford felt better build quality than the Vauxhalls. Is it telling that if I wanted more than a 30 day purchase warranty with a used Vauxhall I would have to budget £300-£400 for it. My understanding is that Ford approved used cars come with a 2 year used car warranty.
Does say a lot

Even brand new only 3 years warranty.. Kia do 7

Wonder which one has better build quality hmm

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think too many get wrapped up in the warranties supposedly offered by car companies.
The Kia 7yr warranty isn't a full 7 yr on everything and diminishes as time goes past. The Hyundai 5 yr warranty (although same parent company) is a better deal.
Even the VW "2yrs full manufacturers warranty package" they were selling because of the massively long lead times for new Transporters is riddled with "wear and tear" clauses. My DSG gearbox and drivers side drive shaft are being replaced as we speak, and they turned the warranty claim down claiming "wear and tear", at 5 yrs old and under 100k miles.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hyundai cars are excellent. My wife had an i10 and sold it on to her dad.
Now 13 years old, never been a single issue with it.
Definitely worth a look at their cars.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
On our search for a replacement for a previous version Polo in the used market budget £12k-£14k we seem to be landing on looking at small SUVs. And in that category Mrs and son like the look of the Ford EcoSport 1.0t Ecoboost. I’ve test driven one and it seems nice and easy to drive and comfortable. But irritatingly the reviews aren’t brilliant. But should we really care if we like the look and feel of it. Anyone got any experience of this Ford.

Have driven Vauxhall Mokka and Crossland and again both fine but not sure. Not yet been able to drive a Seat Arona…and local Seat dealership were underwhelming when I popped along to them
I've driven the Ecosport a couple of times and was underwhelmed, although quite liked the way the boot opened.
My school of thought with cars is, how many do you see on the road? Another reason why I only drove a few.
Whereas the Fiesta, an award winning design and there are millions on the road.
I think the replacement for the Fiesta is the Puma. Looks slightly bigger but I haven't driven one.
Another call for the Hyundai i10 or i20. Superb cars and very well equipped. 👍

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Does say a lot

Even brand new only 3 years warranty.. Kia do 7

Wonder which one has better build quality hmm

I remember my mate looking at an Audi and said to the salesperson "why do you only offer a 3 year warranty when the likes of kia offer 7"

Their response "well our cars are built so well that they only need 3"

He said "well surely if you're that confident in the build quality you'd just offer a longer warranty period then?"

He said they looked at him like a fish out of water, mouth opening and closing but no noise coming out 🤣.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I remember my mate looking at an Audi and said to the salesperson "why do you only offer a 3 year warranty when the likes of kia offer 7"

Their response "well our cars are built so well that they only need 3"

He said "well surely if you're that confident in the build quality you'd just offer a longer warranty period then?"

He said they looked at him like a fish out of water, mouth opening and closing but no noise coming out 🤣.

Exactly if your that confident of build quality offer 100,000 mile warranty (think vauxhall used to) so unlimited time frame

I mean if your cars are so well made