Car Recommendations

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am looking for something a bit simpler in a car. I have has the A5 convertible for a few years and it is time to move on to something a bit more basic as all I really use it for is a half hour drive to work and the same on the way back. Basically looking for a runabout (though I will be looking for some basic gadgets in the spec).

Will be looking at second hand with 20-30000 on the clock so where is the value these days. Am I better off stocking to the usual focus or fiesta (may be too small) or is the real value in other makes now.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Im no expert but have been looking to do similar lately, was planning on picking up another Kia ceed so that it still has plenty of warranty but the prices have increased on them massively that they are no cheaper these days it seems. 2nd hand prices seem high currently too, am starting to slant towards a 2 year lease with 5k mileage as the costs bear up pretty well compared to what buying would do if you get the right deal

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im no expert but have been looking to do similar lately, was planning on picking up another Kia ceed so that it still has plenty of warranty but the prices have increased on them massively that they are no cheaper these days it seems. 2nd hand prices seem high currently too, am starting to slant towards a 2 year lease with 5k mileage as the costs bear up pretty well compared to what buying would do if you get the right deal

My mileage, whilst not massive, is still around the 15k plus mark and so leases etc are not a great option for me.

Prices do seem high to me which always seemed a bit odd to me with the advent of the lease/PCP market. You would have thought that the second hand market would start to be flooded with 3 year old cars with about 30000 miles on the clock as these lease cars are returned and sold on.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My mileage, whilst not massive, is still around the 15k plus mark and so leases etc are not a great option for me.

Prices do seem high to me which always seemed a bit odd to me with the advent of the lease/PCP market. You would have thought that the second hand market would start to be flooded with 3 year old cars with about 30000 miles on the clock as these lease cars are returned and sold on.

Sounds like you need an electric car Greg ;) ill leave the sales pitch to others

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds like you need an electric car Greg ;) ill leave the sales pitch to others

I would do but the initial cost is too expensive and considering the reduction in performance that you can get in batteries in general if not treated right, I am not sure I trust them on the second hand market.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Toyota Auris
Seat Leon
Mazda 3

Are they about the size of car you are looking at?

If you want to up the quality level a bit then go Volvo V40. An under rated car but could stand toe to toe with an A3 quite nicely.

RichA

Visit site
For me, it's hard to see past Focus and Golf for nearly new value, reliability and reasonable service prices.
Comfortable and very drivable too.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No way that petrol Fabia will do the claimed mpg.
Wife has a 1.0 Citigo, gets about 52 mpg.

But, Skoda are great cars, wife has had 3. Never any problems with them.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Try Mazda. My local dealship has Mazda and Ford on the same site. Ford could never get near to the financing and specs offered by Mazda. I used to drive Fords, but my last three cars have been Mazdas.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
No way that petrol Fabia will do the claimed mpg.
Wife has a 1.0 Citigo, gets about 52 mpg.

But, Skoda are great cars, wife has had 3. Never any problems with them.
Agree. Mpg claims by manufacturers and dealers have to be taken with a pinch of salt. To achieve the claimed 64mpg you would have to drive incredibly carefully and not in any "normal" way. Only car I've ever had where I could get close to near to manufacturer's claim was a (2004) 1.4 diesel Citroen C3. Shoving your right foot down had little effect and I soon got used to accepting a very gradual acceleration with light use of the right foot. Well over 64 mpg was easily achievable. I found that motorway cruising at 68mph gave 68mpg. Any faster lowered mpg.
I currently have a (2013) Skoda Rapid 1.2 petrol, bought at 3 years old with only 8,000 on the clock. Owner had passed away and it took son well over a year to get probate in order to sell. There is procedure for selling before probate, but he just didn't bother, probably had enough else to do. If I were looking at a 2-year-old Rapid now. I would certainly go for a 1-litre 110bhp. I imagine the citigo is a 60 or 75 bhp which is plenty for a small car. Next door neighbours have a Skoda Superb estate - its a luxury road-boat and lives up to its name.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I have a Kia Cee'd 1.6 diesel.
55+ mpg around town, 65+ mpg on a run.
140bhp.
£20 annual car tax.

Just saying.
Brilliant. Rapid is a £30 tax, but 50 mpg needs careful driving. Bought as an absolute bargain and huge boot rather than any performance criteria. We still have a C3 1.6 diesel (2005) , £30 tax, that gets 60mpg around town and 70mpg down the motorway no problem and its so very comfortable.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would do but the initial cost is too expensive and considering the reduction in performance that you can get in batteries in general if not treated right, I am not sure I trust them on the second hand market.

Have you compared the cost of a Kia Ceed to a comparable Nissan Leaf.
Here's one not too far from you with full 12 bar battery health.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012287448343?make=NISSAN&maximum-mileage=30000&radius=1500&model=LEAF&include-delivery-option=on&postcode=ng348xf&advertising-location=at_cars&aggregatedTrim=Tekna&year-from=2017&sort=price-asc&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&page=1

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...nesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&page=1

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Skoda Octavia. We have both a Golf and Octavia, the Skoda is probably two years older than the Golf, but a far better car both in the way it drives and design.

that would also be my choice. I am considering going more mundane on the car front and this to me is by far the best option. I would get a 1.4/1.5 petrol 2014-early 2017 - £20 road tax, very economical for petrol, reasonable performance, reliable, cheap and huge boot and internal space. I only do 3k per year so couldn't go diesel as it would knacker the DPF - but would be happy with the 2 litre diesel if doing 15k

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
that would also be my choice. I am considering going more mundane on the car front and this to me is by far the best option. I would get a 1.4/1.5 petrol 2014-early 2017 - £20 road tax, very economical for petrol, reasonable performance, reliable, cheap and huge boot and internal space. I only do 3k per year so couldn't go diesel as it would knacker the DPF - but would be happy with the 2 litre diesel if doing 15k
Ok, who are you and what have you done with Slasher ?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
An overlooked car is the Peugeot 2008. Get a facelifted one registered prior to the end of March 17 and you'll benefit from cheap tax.
Available with a 1.2 petrol engine, (82/110/130 bhp), and a 1.5 blue hdi diesel which really does give exceptional fuel economy.
Decent sized boot, rear seats that fold completely flat and no lip to have to lift things over.
The "Allure" version is the most popular, but I personally prefer the GT Line model as it gives you SatNav, panoramic glass roof and reversing sensors/camera as well.
And on anything above the 82bhp engine you get something called "Grip Control" which works like a pseudo 4WD. Great for bad weather or muddy tracks.
Not a big car, it's only about 9" longer than a VX Corsa, but a lot more practical. And we get very few problems with them. Practically bulletproof.
I've had half a dozen or more as demonstrators, and love 'em. The best petrol engine is the 110. The 82 can run out of steam a little on longer journeys but is perfectly adequate around town and shorter runs etc.
The only thing I didn't like about them at first was the handbrake. It's a normal, manual one (not electric) but is a bit of a weird design. But I got used to it very, very quickly so not really a reason to dismiss the car.
If I were buying one I'd pick a blue HDi diesel in GT LIne trim. Reckon on 60mpg no problem......
GT Line 1.jpg

Last edited: