Adblue

Springveldt

Visit site
Wife’s Citroen has it. The tank is in the most ridiculous place, in the boot under the spare wheel. The car is now 8 years old, only done 45K and we had to get the ad blue injectors changed last year as they had become clogged up and stopped working. (It’s basically synthetic urea that crystallises in air).

Hers also doesn’t warn you when it gets low but it cuts the engine out and won’t start until you put more in, again something we didn’t know and cost us money for the garage to tell us.

Complete pain the behind but her road tax is only £20 a year.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking to change my car and one of the options is a car with Adblue. Never had that before. What are peoples experience of this? Is it a pain to add? Am I best to avoid?
My 2019 BMW 520d has it. I have driven over 52k miles and only had to fill it once. The tank holds 10 litres and is currently showing 50% full.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My 2019 BMW 520d has it. I have driven over 52k miles and only had to fill it once. The tank holds 10 litres and is currently showing 50% full.

Wow that's ridiculously good. Our old car used to be good for 8000 miles think it was

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Assuming you don’t do the servicing yourself, maybe it was topped up when the car was serviced.

Last edited:

RichA

Visit site
My 2018 BMW 520d has done over 70k miles.
The first three tanks of Adblue each did about 20k before the 1000 miles warning came on.
The next only did about 3000 miles then I didn't even get the advanced warning - straight to "REFILL NOW!" which I did. Since then it's done 10k and is telling me it's still at maximum range.
@CliveW - I get better fuel economy in Sport than Eco mode and it's obviously a better driving experience. Have you noticed that?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
@CliveW - I get better fuel economy in Sport than Eco mode and it's obviously a better driving experience. Have you noticed that?
I only drive mine in comfort mode and average 42 mpg at an average speed of 32 mph (I have never reset the computer since I bought the car) . If I want Sport, I drive my Cobra.

RichA

Visit site
I only drive mine in comfort mode and average 42 mpg at an average speed of 32 mph (I have never reset the computer since I bought the car) . If I want Sport, I drive my Cobra.
Fair enough. If I want sport I drive my Golf R but it's not great for 20,000 miles per year of motorway journeys. 52mpg averaging 54mph in the BMW and sport mode stops it dawdling when I'm entering a roundabout or junction.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fair enough. If I want sport I drive my Golf R but it's not great for 20,000 miles per year of motorway journeys. 52mpg averaging 54mph in the BMW and sport mode stops it dawdling when I'm entering a roundabout or junction.
We don't have motorways up here and I only average around 10k miles nowadays, mostly on scenic windy roads. :)