Selling a Car through Motorway

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We are in the process of selling the wife’s Nissan Juke and we’ve had a very mixed experience.

The car went into their auction with a guide of £4,000 and was sold for £4,400. Dealer called and we arranged a date for them to come and look, the impression they gave was that the person coming to see the car was one of theirs rather than a middle man. Anyway, day arrived and said man appeared, did a look round, took it for a test drive and said he’d be able to offer £3,300 max. Was taking the Michael massively, the issues he was suggesting weren’t there as the car had been recently serviced and we had all of the info there to support that. We rejected that offer and sent him on his way. He then reappeared 5 minutes later and said that he’d spoken to the office and they’d agreed £4,000 for the car. Again, told him to sling his hook as he was really winding us up now. Thought that was the end of it but no, 10 minutes later he came back and he offered the agreed amount. By this point my wife was so angry with how they’d acted that she rejected the offer on principle. He got quite irate as he’d travelled all the way from Kent and we were just wasting his time as he’d offered the amount that was agreed. Domestic management wasn’t having any of it and told him to leave.

Car went back into auction on Monday and sold for £4,350. Waiting for the dealer to call to arrange a meet up, hoping we don’t get the same level of cowboy that we had last week.

What I would say is that WBAC’s offers were a mile off what Motorway suggested so they were never an option.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would suggest that you share your experience with Motorway. That's not how it's meant to happen. It may not help you, other that getting it off your chest, but it may stop a rouge trader from getting away with things.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Just a quick update. We bought this car from Bristol Street Motors, so I called them and they have offered 15,900 (900 more than the trade in offer, and only marginally less than Motorway's estimate), so we'll be taking it to them on Friday. Will let you know how we get on.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I would suggest that you share your experience with Motorway. That's not how it's meant to happen. It may not help you, other that getting it off your chest, but it may stop a rouge trader from getting away with things.

I've done that and they've given that particular dealership a 'strike' against their record. A second complaint means that they are suspended from using the platform and a third means that they are permanently removed.

Anyway, I've just had a call from the next dealership who have bought the car as I didn't want them wasting either my time or their own by doing the same thing. They've confirmed that as long as the car matches the photos and nothing has gone wrong in the meantime they'll pay the full amount.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Put my Kodiaq in a Motorway auction on Thursday, price agreed on Friday....great! Uploaded docs etc and then........nothing. Rang the dealer (Vertu) today to ask whats going on and he said 'we offered but then withdrew our offer after looking at the pictures and seeing indentations in the seat from what appears to be child seats.' Sounds like a load of utter b*ll*cks to me and quite annoyed I didnt hear anything from Motorway if this dealer had actually withdrawn their offer.

Anyway I'm pushed for time so back into the Motorway auction tonight and find out what bids I get tomorrow. Been a waste of time so far.