Car Recomendations - Family wagon

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will the batteries that hybrid last 10 years?

Mate has a Lexus no battery warranty available beyond 7 years so having to ditch it.

Yes for sure, they might for example not be as good as the start but the engine is still there

However these days the batteries are guaranteed for 10 years

Also Toyota bought back from customers Prius' to test the batteries and found after 15 years I think it was the batteries were still going strong

https://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-wants-hybrid-batteries-back

They say the batteries outlast the car

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am in the size bracket up, but I would be looking seriously at the Skoda Karoq. The top contender to replace my Volvo XC90 is the Kodiac.

Have a look at the XC60 though, but I think VFM will be hard to beat the skoda.

U

User62651

Isn't it fair to say for those of us of a certain vintage the mere word SKODA still sits badly? I know it's all wrong and they're part of the VW group etc and they make really good cars for 20 years now but the name negativity lingers on.
People wont admit it but many won't go for Skoda because of brand snobbery. Many would buy a used VW or Audi instead of a new Skoda.
Not me, I had a 2.0 Yeti for a while and it handled beautifully and was quick, no space though. I have a Hyundai presently which exonerates me from any brand snobbery accusation!;)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Isn't it fair to say for those of us of a certain vintage the mere word SKODA still sits badly? I know it's all wrong and they're part of the VW group etc and they make really good cars for 20 years now but the name negativity lingers on.
People wont admit it but many won't go for Skoda because of brand snobbery. Many would buy a used VW or Audi instead of a new Skoda.
Not me, I had a 2.0 Yeti for a while and it handled beautifully and was quick, no space though. I have a Hyundai presently which exonerates me from any brand snobbery accusation!;)

Once the well eldest is out of car seats we want to go for something like the Skoda or seat SUV

Not even 7 seats Ness..

It's amazing In this day and age with car seat laws how not many can fit 3 accross back

Think I had choice of 3

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
You have to be of a real vintage for that. I am of that vintage and I remember all the old Eastern European cars. Skoda, Lada, Moskovich, FSO (Polski Fiat), Yugo. I even remember a Moskovitch! And a work colleague of mine, younger than I, wouldn't buy a Skoda because of the brand. I used to laugh at the cars he chose as an alternative. There will always be brand snobbery. I sometimes have reverse brand snobbery when I see the way that some Mercedes, BMW, Audi drivers drive their cars I think to myself "typical xxx driver!". For a Skoda, it's pretty much the same underpinnings as a VW but VW & Audi can charge more because of the brand. That's why I like Skodas. I get more kit than the equivalent VW Passat for example.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
It does appear that you get more boot space in the estate category and I think this is where we will end up. My dad had an X reg Octavia saloon which handled everything he threw at it, the engine just went on, but quite a lot of other things stopped working. Was quite comical driving around with the dashboard not working, no fuel gauge and electric windows that didnt work through the summer. I think he got rig of it when it had done 250k and then picked up a Superb saloon which I think is a very nice car. I'd say Skoda build a good quality product at a good price point. Having a look around we can get an almost brand new Octavia Vrs under 25k.

The only downside I can see for the Karoq is the lack of a bigger engine, but I'm not sure if that is the case as I need to do some more research. That along with I havent actually had a look in one yet.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
It does appear that you get more boot space in the estate category and I think this is where we will end up. My dad had an X reg Octavia saloon which handled everything he threw at it, the engine just went on, but quite a lot of other things stopped working. Was quite comical driving around with the dashboard not working, no fuel gauge and electric windows that didnt work through the summer. I think he got rig of it when it had done 250k and then picked up a Superb saloon which I think is a very nice car. I'd say Skoda build a good quality product at a good price point. Having a look around we can get an almost brand new Octavia Vrs under 25k.

The only downside I can see for the Karoq is the lack of a bigger engine, but I'm not sure if that is the case as I need to do some more research. That along with I havent actually had a look in one yet.

And if you’re lucky you’ll get the Seat Leon FR Sport of a similar vintage for 17k if you can still find a 2 litre version, which exactly what I did. At the time a 10k saving cost me a panoramic sunroof, a smidgen of boot space and about 35 ponies. I’m not missing any of them.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
And if you’re lucky you’ll get the Seat Leon FR Sport of a similar vintage for 17k if you can still find a 2 litre version, which exactly what I did. At the time a 10k saving cost me a panoramic sunroof, a smidgen of boot space and about 35 ponies. I’m not missing any of them.

Definitely not ruling the Leon out, just cant comment on it too much at the minute as I havent seen one other than online. I used to have a hatchback Leon Cupra R, which I really liked so it is definitely on the short list. I do seem to have been drawn towards the 300bhp Fr version though......not sure I'd get that past the wife.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't dismiss a decent-sized saloon, i had a 5 series BMW and the boot was MASSIVE!!!!
The problem is often the opening though. I had a Volvo saloon 10-12 years ago. The capacity was as big as the XC60 I changed to but you couldn't use it in the same way as the opening was so poor. Anything bulky could not fit through. I know this doesn't apply to every saloon, the A6 looks pretty good on that front, but it is something to be careful of.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you want the car to last you 10 years plan for kids growing and back seat space aswell not just boot

Kids are great at first with no leg room required lol

sunshine

Visit site
Interesting timing for this thread, given you won't be able to see any cars for at least 4 weeks. I'm guessing there must be some good deals out there

D

Deleted Member 1156

Another vote for the XC60. I've just returned a lease one, 17 plate with 45k miles in excellent condition. I had a look on autotrader out of curiosity and they are selling for approx £17k. Your top budget would get you one of the latest versions and they are lovely inside. Not the most exciting car to drive but as a car salesman would say, they are 'a nice place to be'.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&model=XC60&page=1

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting timing for this thread, given you won't be able to see any cars for at least 4 weeks. I'm guessing there must be some good deals out there

I'm thinking there must be some good deals out there too. Part of the reason for the thread was because I cant get out and test drive some I thought I'd call on any first hand experiences from here.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Another vote for the XC60. I've just returned a lease one, 17 plate with 45k miles in excellent condition. I had a look on autotrader out of curiosity and they are selling for approx £17k. Your top budget would get you one of the latest versions and they are lovely inside. Not the most exciting car to drive but as a car salesman would say, they are 'a nice place to be'.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010165091744?include-delivery-option=on&postcode=bh154ph&price-to=25000&advertising-location=at_cars&make=VOLVO&radius=1500&sort=price-desc&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&model=XC60&page=1

I do really like the newer XC60, a real step up from the previous version. That is what I have as my work "pool car".

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As I don’t have kids I don’t fully understand the rush to get a people carrier with only 1 or 2 kids. When I was growing up in the 70s, I was one of four kids and we made do with a normal size car. Ok, no seatbelts back then so you could get 4 on the back seats but we still managed to go on camping holidays etc with everything in the boot.

sunshine

Visit site
As I don’t have kids I don’t fully understand the rush to get a people carrier with only 1 or 2 kids. When I was growing up in the 70s, I was one of four kids and we made do with a normal size car. Ok, no seatbelts back then so you could get 4 on the back seats but we still managed to go on camping holidays etc with everything in the boot.

Car seats

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As Sunshine states, car seats fill back seats now and that makes a big difference. I would also add, as the owner of a Citroen Picasso when my kids were small, that the extra cabin space is fabulous. They are so much lighter and airey than cars of yesteryear. They just make travelling that bit more pleasant. Of course we could just cram in still, damage your back fastening little Johnny into his seat whilst being nose to nose but these cars make life that bit more pleasant with kids. Like lots of things, not essential but better.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As Sunshine states, car seats fill back seats now and that makes a big difference. I would also add, as the owner of a Citroen Picasso when my kids were small, that the extra cabin space is fabulous. They are so much lighter and airey than cars of yesteryear. They just make travelling that bit more pleasant. Of course we could just cram in still, damage your back fastening little Johnny into his seat whilst being nose to nose but these cars make life that bit more pleasant with kids. Like lots of things, not essential but better.

Love the extra space .

I throw the back 2 seats down and have a massive boot in the Alhambra

But if we did want to go out with grandparents (normal times) could in one car

Full sized adult seats with isolfix