New car advice - suv for family.

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Right, I am fed up with all the options available, I have a top budget of 40k (want to avoid extortionate tax) but really don't mind spending a lot less either! I looked at a few over the weekend including jag f pace - v nice but basic until options added by which time it's 43k, same with the merc glc. Next was the VW tiguan which was not pleasant inside and lastly the Mazda CX-5 (new model) which just seemed to be right in many respects. My only requirements are that I can fit the family in it for the next 10 years (son will be 18 and a giant by then daughter not so tall!), it's automatic (I prefer them) and that the sound system is great (I love my music and would have picked the Meridian, burmester or dynaudio systems, the Mazda has Bose as standard on the model I liked). Oh, and leather seats (pref heated). I live in Northumberland and see snow most years so I was thinking AWD (or is 2 wheel drive and winter tyres just as good as a Volvo rep told me?)
I am wondering if I am missing a trick by looking at the Mazda and discounting the others too soon but I need to narrow them down before test driving - any other suggestions I may need to consider?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am sure many will laugh but my wife has had a Mitsubishi ASX for the last couple of years and it has been great. Her one came fully loaded with DAB heated leather electric seats sat nav rear parking camera etc. It is AWD and not expensive. Only issue I have heard is that spares can be costly but she has not needed any

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Mazda is a very good car so don't feel you are compromising there. I would suggest looking at the Skoda Kodiaq but if you don't like the Tiguan it may not appeal. Worth a look as you get a lot for your money and a huge amount of space. Silbury in Cramlington have a couple in their showroom.

Not my thing but a Nissan X-Trail may be of interest.

Volvo are changing their XC60 so you may get a good deal on the old version. I had one for 3 years and it is a good car.

The dealer is right about the winter tyres. FWD and a set of winter tyres will be better than AWD and standard tyres. Plenty of YouTube videos backing this up. Obviously AWD and winter tyres is the pinnacle but you pay a fuel price for 10-11 months of the year if you go AWD.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
"My only requirements are that I can fit the family in it for the next 10 years (son will be 18 and a giant by then "

Was a consideration for me four or so years ago, one son was already my height at 14 and other not far behind. Tried loads of cars setting the driver's seat comfortable for me and then tried to sit behind it. That ruled SUVs out for me. Went for an estate (sportsback or whatever) and they often comment how comfortable when in back.

Good luck. You could stick the lad in the front! From what I have seen the CX-5 looks good.

GB I liked the ASX, the short service interval put me off but that may have changed, and obviously depends on your expected mileage.

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The asx interior looks a little basic compared to what I have seen I'm afraid, unless the website isn't doing it justice.
LT - no Volvo I'm afraid - I fancy a change (even though my S80 has 297250 miles on it) - I'll check out the Skoda.

Is a more basic merc GLC (not all singing and dancing) a better bet than a fully loaded Mazda?

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Tiguan is pretty small in my opinion, I went for the Touareg R Line, great family car.
The Jaguar F pace seems good value at 43k.
I had an Mercedes ML350 before the Touareg and in my opinion Mercedes quality is excellent, you can't go wrong there.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Meant to add, my BiL has a Mercedes, not GLC but similar. Really lovely inside, a definite step up in quality compared to the Mazda. His is tooled up though so it depends on what yours would come with. Ticking options boxes on a Mercedes gets very silly very quickly.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Meant to add, my BiL has a Mercedes, not GLC but similar. Really lovely inside, a definite step up in quality compared to the Mazda. His is tooled up though so it depends on what yours would come with. Ticking options boxes on a Mercedes gets very silly very quickly.

Agree with this 👍🏻

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
This is what I have found out - as soon as I get it to where I want it's 43k and I'm looking at 450 in road tax every year which I could do without. Am I right that the car will be more expensive to run after the warranty period runs out?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Perhaps also bear in mind parts and servicing for a Mercedes will be on the high side compared to the others. Premium travel unfortunately comes with a premium price. Nice way to travel though 😁

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
How about a BMW X3 or X4. The new X3 is out soon and is looking really good. THe X4 is very similar sized to the GLC. I'm a big BMW fan though, so would suggest that.

Might be be able to sort a decent deal too

otherwise have you considered leasing? Leasing usually includes the tax too

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you considerd the Audi Q7?

I was driving one yesterday - beautiful car? You should be able to pick one up on a 16 plate on your budget!

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't comment on the car options really, the wife has just ordered a new Tucson, she had an ix35, falls in our budget and great for what we need, the Tucson is much the same.
The tyre however I can comment on, if u get some good quality winter tyres, u will notice a difference in standard from 5 degrees and below, with michelins anyway.
Few of my work pals have BMW or Audi rear wheel drives and they have no prob I the snow, doesn't matter what u have on the rims if u hit black ice though.
The new cross climates are meant to be ok for all weather, not tried them personally as I get summer and winter shoes, but heard the make a difference but not as good as full winters.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Can't comment on the car options really, the wife has just ordered a new Tucson, she had an ix35, falls in our budget and great for what we need, the Tucson is much the same.
The tyre however I can comment on, if u get some good quality winter tyres, u will notice a difference in standard from 5 degrees and below, with michelins anyway.
Few of my work pals have BMW or Audi rear wheel drives and they have no prob I the snow, doesn't matter what u have on the rims if u hit black ice though.
The new cross climates are meant to be ok for all weather, not tried them personally as I get summer and winter shoes, but heard the make a difference but not as good as full winters.

i got a Tucson back in December and love it. I went for the mid range version and can't fault it for the price

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
The Skoda Kodiaq gets good reviews. Also a Disco Sport is well regarded. If you are keeping it for 10 years I'd try and future proof it as much as you can with regards to tech which may mean going for a slightly cheaper one and speccing it up instead of going for a base model of a relatively expensive one

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Surprised Audi Q versions weren't mentioned earlier. Q7 might be too pricey,so the Q5 might be more suitable.
Can't argue withMercs, they really are quality cars.
No good for you but my folks have just bought a new Q2. Very nice in auto white. Looks similar to Range Rover Evoque