Can clubs discriminate over Joining Fees?

D

Deleted member 23344

I’m no lawyer, but I understood that private clubs are not covered by the equal ops legislation, which is why some are still able to have male members only.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m no lawyer, but I understood that private clubs are not covered by the equal ops legislation, which is why some are still able to have male members only.

Don't think that is right. Club's, of any sort, can be male or female only but club's that are mixed must not offer terms that discriminate. However in organisations where groups are under represented they may offer terms that favour the under represented group in order to encourage recruitment to that group.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
That stinks.
I don’t get this whole “let’s get more women playing the game”.
Why?

Wonder if netball or hockey are bothered about how many men play their sport.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
That stinks.
Why?

I think golf wants to chase the women’s game as it’s an resource that clearly exists. Men playing netball was attempted once in Australia (according to google and failed). Men’s hockey may be different, but there is clearly a difference between trying to entice and monetise women in golf compared to netball where there isn’t a market at all.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That stinks.
Why?

I have a feeling that Netball doesn't get some funding because it does not encourage equal participation. I can't remember the details, don't think I've made this up, but it does miss out somewhere because it is a predominantly single sex sport that does not try to encourage participation by men. Odd but in a world of equality it shows consistency.

Just checked, one of the reasons it keeps failing to get into the Olympics is the 'gender imbalance ' and lack of investment to alter that. UK Netball state the money is not there and is better spent on improving the sport for those already playing than trying to recruit men who are unlikely to want to play anyway.

Hockey is a wrong choice as men's hockey in this country is strong. I don't know the comparable numbers playing, men v women, but men's hockey stands on it's own.

In answer to your question, it's irrelevant in hockey but in netball, no they don't give a stuff :D

Last edited:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I have a feeling that Netball doesn't get some funding because it does not encourage equal participation. I can't remember the details, don't think I've made this up, but it does miss out somewhere because it is a predominantly single sex sport that does not try to encourage participation by men. Odd but in a world of equality it shows consistency.

Hockey is a wrong choice as men's hockey in this country is strong. I don't know the comparable numbers playing, men v women, but men's hockey stands on it's own.
Still a girls game 😆

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Still a girls game 😆
One of the guys in the team I played in bored a hole in the back of the stick and filled it with lead. He was a well built builder and you certainly wouldn’t call him a girl. He was capable of hitting the ball airborne for over 100 yards as many kids who shouted “girl’s game” discovered as the ball flew past their heads.

D

Deleted member 15344

One of the guys in the team I played in bored a hole in the back of the stick and filled it with lead. He was a well built builder and you certainly wouldn’t call him a girl. He was capable of hitting the ball airborne for over 100 yards as many kids who shouted “girl’s game” discovered as the ball flew past their heads.

👍 exactly that , always amusing when it’s called a girls game - would like to see them play the “girls game” and be around when the very hard balls goes flying past their ears. Watching football players roll around that’s prob the real “girls game”.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
He sounds great🙄

Did you not see the smilie? 😳

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I think golf wants to chase the women’s game as it’s an resource that clearly exists. Men playing netball was attempted once in Australia (according to google and failed). Men’s hockey may be different, but there is clearly a difference between trying to entice and monetise women in golf compared to netball where there isn’t a market at all.

I don't think it is a source that exists. Look at female membership numbers up and down the country, its low for a reason.

Is golf unattractive for females? Is it unfriendly and unwelcoming or is it basically a case of females do not see it as a sport that they wish to participate in? By all means throw money at junior golf, male and female but lets research the reason why female membership numbers are low before throwing cash at it like SG are currently doing.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
👍 exactly that , always amusing when it’s called a girls game - would like to see them play the “girls game” and be around when the very hard balls goes flying past their ears. Watching football players roll around that’s prob the real “girls game”.

Balls flying past your ear 😂

Chill out Phil,I apologise if I’ve offended you👍🏻

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I don't think it is a source that exists. Look at female membership numbers up and down the country, its low for a reason.

Is golf unattractive for females? Is it unfriendly and unwelcoming or is it basically a case of females do not see it as a sport that they wish to participate in? By all means throw money at junior golf, male and female but lets research the reason why female membership numbers are low before throwing cash at it like SG are currently doing.

I’m not aware of the money being thrown at it tbh. Making it cheaper for women doesn’t cost a club money. Unless they are full of course and losing out on male memberhsip fees. All I would say is that women’s golf is seen worldwide so it could be reasonably expected that a market place exists.

Things like netball as mentioned earlier, certainly doesn’t have a massive male presence.