Can a Lady be a Club captian of the mens section

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
As above - we have a Gentleman's Captain and a Ladies Captain and AFAIAA they both have equal standing. They are honorary figureheads of the club- although seem to be representative respectively at male and female events. For club-wide events, both are present. (The real power in the club is the President - who is elected every year, for as long as the membership tolerate their presence, and who chairs the 'Council' (ie the board). Men's and Ladies Captain sit on the board but only for their year of office).

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
So who chairs the club AGM or committee meetings if you have no captain?
Football teams have captains and rugby teams and in fact the Ryder Cup/Solheim Cup teams
Erm, Didn't know Steve Gerrard was chairing Liverpool's AGM.
Seriously though our club chairman unsurprisingly chairs our AGM,and would say it's unusual for the Captain to do so these days almost golf clubs hav moved over to Limited Company status.

Albo

Visit site
What if someone identifies as a different gender to the one they were born?
Could you then have a lady captain who was born male but identifies female? Or vice versa?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I know this wasn't the actual question, but it may actually answer it anyway in a roundabout way. Why have a captain? I've never really seen the need. I've seen what they do but in reality a club would be no worse off if the position didn't exist.

In answer to the question, if no Male stands for mens captain, don't have one.
Obviously there is a ceremonial role, but at our club the main contribution to the club and the wider world is to be the figurehead and lead on the clubs' charity work for the year.

Just before Christmas, the Captain and Lady Captain handed over a cheque for £5000 to a local foodbank, there will be further donations to other charities before their tenure finishes at the end of March.

I can vouch for the fact that while they have received an immense amount of assistance from volunteers, they have innovated and led throughout the past year.

Would this happen without the role? Perhaps. But the role seems to focus the individual for that brief moment in time.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Football teams have captains and rugby teams and in fact the Ryder Cup/Solheim Cup teams
As others have said, the club chairman. In their absence, the club president if you have one. If neither of those, club secretary.

There are no shortage of options.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Obviously there is a ceremonial role, but at our club the main contribution to the club and the wider world is to be the figurehead and lead on the clubs' charity work for the year.

Just before Christmas, the Captain and Lady Captain handed over a cheque for £5000 to a local foodbank, there will be further donations to other charities before their tenure finishes at the end of March.

I can vouch for the fact that while they have received an immense amount of assistance from volunteers, they have innovated and led throughout the past year.

Would this happen without the role? Perhaps. But the role seems to focus the individual for that brief moment in time.
This is a very fair point. Always impressive what clubs do on that front and I accept it wouldn't happen without a new person each year, they bring fresh impetus and enthusiasm.

D

Deleted member 15344

That’s done by our club president
This is a very fair point. Always impressive what clubs do on that front and I accept it wouldn't happen without a new person each year, they bring fresh impetus and enthusiasm.
I think a lot of it comes down to the make up of your club

If it’s a club that’s on a pay and play or council owned or public course then it’s prob someone who captains the teams etc

In a private members club then the captain may take on various roles

For us he is a focal point for members , he hosts days and social events , and will be there for the visiting teams - he also raises for local charities - over the last two years we have managed to raise £50k for local charities - and most of the people who have done the role for us take pride in it and what they can do for the club
Because it's the way it's always been and people hate change / progress

Yet wonder why golf gets the image of stuffy and struggles to shake it
i think that’s prob an attitude from someone who’s club isn’t a full member and doesn’t have a captain who provides a key role in the club

Its got nothing to do with any image issues of being stuffy or hating change etc - its lazy to keep trotting out that sort of nonsense

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The original question was can a woman be captain of the men's section.
My immediate thought was no.
Having read all the replies my opinion hasn't changed

Reactions: AAC

Swango1980

Visit site
If nobody in the mens section wants to be Captain, do they deserve to have a Captain at all?????? I say they should remain captainless.

As for your Club Captain, I don't see any reason why the lady who put herself forward should NOT be Club Captain on the face of it. By sounds of it, she is the only nomination, so unless there are good reasons to think she would not be a good representative for the Club, then I'd give her the duty.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Dungannon Golf in NI have had a lady Club Captain and also a President in recent years - both very effective and positive for the club. The club captain has to represent all club members (Seniors, Juniors, Ladies, Gents) so really should be the best person for the role.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
On the one hand you’d think if the clubs membership is large enough to have a mens section then perhaps it should be a man… but I also can’t help wondering, is there really any topic/matter that is so specific to (just) men within a golf club that it couldn’t be managed/represented perfectly well by a woman?

Can’t think of one off the top of my head

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I know this wasn't the actual question, but it may actually answer it anyway in a roundabout way. Why have a captain? I've never really seen the need. I've seen what they do but in reality a club would be no worse off if the position didn't exist.

In answer to the question, if no Male stands for mens captain, don't have one.
No Captain!!!, who would ride the gravy train:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Captain_Black.

Visit site
At my club, we have.
A club captain
A Ladies section Captain
A Seniors section Captain

They put in an awful lot of work.
They are pretty much tied up with tasks for 2 consecutive years as captain elect & the Captain the following year.

Certainly, in the Seniors section during the Captains year they are expected to play in this vast majority of the Senior matches (around 30) & collect match fees / Sort playing order
Play in the County Captains days.
Fund raise for a designated charity
Arrange a section away day
Arrange a Captains charity day
Attend numerous evening dinners
Play in the majority of Senior club comps
Attend monthly committee meetings
Send regular updates via email to the section
Attend the club agm & Seniors agm
Arrange an end of season inter section match & meal
Help to run numerous opens (desk / starter / raffle / prizes etc.
An exhausting list of time consuming tasks that really makes me question why anyone would volunteer?
Certainly not for me.

As for the OP question.
Any gender for club captain (although we have never had a lady do the job)
Lady for the Ladies section
Senior male for the Seniors section

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We appointed a female club captain (head of all sections - male, female and seniors) and also first female captain of a Royal club at the same time. A very successful year and no issues with the mens section at all. She played club matches and made some good press for the club by her appointment so a win win

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If your golf club is struggling to find a male Captain for it's section then there is something far wrong with the structure of your club.
Re women being the 'whole' Club Captain........it has been happening for quite a few years now.