C`mon TIGER

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm delighted, this is Tiger Woods, not yet firing on all cylinders, but he will definitely win tour events and he's already contending in Majors. This can only be good - let's see Spieth, Thomas, Koepka, Mcilroy, Johnson etc. (as the exciting young crop of players we're told they are) prove it against one of the best ever. He is the benchmark.

It's good for golf and the Ryder Cup, not that it needed it, but it's now taken on another added dimension in my opinion. I hope he gets 15, and then 16...... but would like Jacks record to stand ultimately, but Golf could do with Tiger chasing this record.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well - for as long as Tiger is around I suspect that Pay-per-View TV as offered for the USPGA by Eleven Sports will be Pay-per-View Tiger as Eleven Sports know that outside of the mainstream golfing fraternity Tiger is the only thing that will attract an audience. And if that audience does not see wall-to-wall Tiger then they will be unlikely to return.

BTW - did Tiger not win?

Maybe best for Eleven Sports that he didn't, as that'll have more paying up next time they offer Pay-per-View Tiger - wanting to watch Tiger - The Comeback - a Dream Fulfilled

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh dear, looks like I've touched a nerve :whistle:

Let me know when your course makes it into the top 100 Tony :thup:

Na your just talking rubbish. Claiming a touring pro wouldn’t win a medal on a course that is set up for average golfers

He would take it apart. Every par 5 he would be there or there about for 2

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lucky enough to play Broadstone last year with my County Card. It's a fantastic track, almost up there with Ferndown for me. :thup:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Na your just talking rubbish. Claiming a touring pro wouldn’t win a medal on a course that is set up for average golfers

I think the "Monthly Medal" reference was to no people being on hand to locate his ball (as on17) and the likelyhood of OBs and lost balls! Mind you, on most club length courses he could ht a 6 iron off the tees!

I watched the Tiger featured group on the PGA App.... until they all got to feathured holes 16-18 . I only saw marginally more Tiger than the usual Sky coverage!! :D

BUT HEY!! 2nd in the PGA? That's no mean feat after his injury... rule out Major 15 at your peril. Augusta 2019 anyone?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Don't lose any sleep over it, my tongue in cheek comment has clearly gone right over your head.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site

He would you’re right. Not sure Gordon was being serious tho:eek:
The point stands, off the tee he’s all over the shop. His best chance of a major is a course like this week. You can’t spray it at the open, most us open set ups and maybe @ Augusta, it maybe a 2nd shot course, but you have to be in position to hit the 2nd shot.
I think his current resurgence is pretty good for the profile of the game but has no impact on participation.

*anyone who thinks broadstone is a poor course has been smoking crack !!

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
People are still suggesting he will never win another major?!!

Tiger is back in the world elite. Apart from BK it seemed most players were struggling with driver. The course seemed like lots of dog legs and forced carries.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
People are still suggesting he will never win another major?!!

Tiger is back in the world elite. Apart from BK it seemed most players were struggling with driver. The course seemed like lots of dog legs and forced carries.

He is back as a top player, he may win a major, but I would bet against it, but when he contends it’s good for the game. Look at the crowds this week, that’s gotta be the tiger affect, even in part. His irons game seems good, off the tee & on the green he needs some work. There was no premium this week for hitting the fairway, at most majors there will be. You can’t win normally with an FIR of 50%

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Some people want him to win, some don't and some don't care.
There's no doubt he was a huge part of golf in his prime.

The trouble is he's 44 next year and you just have to wonder how long he can go on for.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site

The trouble is he's 44 next year and you just have to wonder how long he can go on for.

How many major wins post 45? Jack @ the masters, phil with a couple. It doesn’t happen often

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haven't read the whole thread, but that was great to watch last night. I couldn't go full 'come on Tiger' as I had a quid on Koepka, but it was still good to see him up there on the final day. He seems to be getting a little better with each tournament at the moment.

Bit ominous for the Ryder Cup though... :mmm:

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Very true, and history is against him. Although you'd suggest that in the past some of the players lost distance quicker than Tiger will, and so then it depends on whether he can keep his putting/short game which currently doesn't seem an issue as a result of age.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I've never understood the guys who are massive Tiger fans. Obviously the guy is a huge success and arguably the greatest player of all time - not disputing that. No need for a Jack v Tiger debate, thanks.

Maybe it's because I'm a bit younger and wasn't really into golf when he became prominent, and certainly remember almost no golf from before he became prominent. For me, watching some of the events he dominated was dreadful. A potentially great sporting contest turned into a procession. Golf is much more exciting with a lot of close finishes than it was around the turn of the century.

But getting back to the Tiger fans. They just love him because he's the best?!? And that's the bit I get annoyed at. Sure, you can pick anyone to root for but just picking a guy because he's the best - it's like a Man Utd fan who has never been to Old Trafford and never even watched them before 1992.

And days like yesterday are ok when Tiger is genuinely in contention, but for the most part of my golf watching life, he has not been a dominant player. So many a Sunday has been spoiled by seeing every one of Tigers shots on TV when the leaders are trying to contend for the title. Especially post 2008 when he was often injured and nowhere near good enough to win a tournament, and yet, still we saw all of his golf at the expense of players trying to win. Not Tiger's fault, clearly.

Also, I may be wrong - but Tiger in his prime actually had a Koepka-like focus (yes I know it should be Koepka having a Tiger-like focus). Tiger didn't let his personality through, didn't joke or mix with other players and came across as cold, methodical, focused. Didn't seem warm with fans or enjoy spending time with them. Save for the odd fist pump, it seems to me that these are the precise reasons people are now saying they find it hard to like Koepka, or root for him.

Is he good for the game? I'm not sure about that. Interest may be high, but in reality if he is playing he sucks the coverage away from other players. Will John Rahm's sponsors be lining up to offer him a better deal, knowing that if he is playing in the same event as Tiger, he will get a fraction of the coverage he might deserve in the context of the event. Likewise, Koepka, Thomas, Scott, Pieters who were all in contention. I suppose if the TV audience is significantly bigger, then maybe, but like I said, that doesn't necessarily translate into more exposure for other players.

The coverage completely missed Pieters troubles down 17, but we got a good few minutes of the hole being repaired in Tigers group. Likewise, we saw a bit of Rahm, but only the putts when his score was changing.

And the worst thing is that the American TV and media make no appologies for this. For them, that's just the way it is and there's enough people tuning in to see Tiger, so we're going to do it that way.

We'll see if the purses grow much next year- I'd be surprised it they grow much above average. Tiger will still likely be playing a limited schedule of 14 or 15 events and will not be the world player he was in the early 2000's. Realistically the events will keep the purses much the same, but offer Tiger a golden handshake for taking part. Not helping grow the game or trickling down to lower level players.

I also believe that it's been demonstrated that Tiger did not grow the game when he was dominant. Maybe he arrested a decline. But participation numbers in the states did not improve. And we certainly don't have a throng of African-American players on tour, which a lot of people predicted would happen when Tiger came to the fore. Golf is still a sport for elites, with well off families.