C`mon TIGER

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
<facepalm>

I’m sure I’ve said this more than once over the past few years...Tiger’s fashioned 80 plus Tour victories and 14 majors from not driving very well. Big Phil, similar. It’s how many folks, not how... :D

Is his driving better/worse/the same from when he was dominating?

I would say there's two things different with his driving.

1. It is more erratic, he was always prone to a bad shot but it seems more likely now that it used to be.

2. He's no longer a "big hitter" back when he was winning he was one of the longest out there, leading to courses Tiger proofing themselves. No with the likes of McIlroy and Johnson leading the way tiger is way behind distance wise

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Watched it,loved it and it seems so did the fans,those scenes at the end looking back down the fairways was incredible.

Well done BK

I do agree that for Tiger to win again the course will have to help his wayward driving but you can only play the course in front of you.

If it was that easy where you could hit it anywhere and still score how is it Rory and Dj and others couldnt do it.
Tigers is back,he is in contention,he is the biggest draw in golf and will be until he retires.

clarke_111

Medal Winner
Visit site
As others have said here-I’m not a massive fan of Tiger, nor do I not like him. I think he will win again (I didn’t a few months back, but now changed that opinion) and that could well be a major.

Yes-his record is incredible, he is one of - if not the - greatest to ever play this game etc. BUT, I agree with the above. The media coverage etc is getting frustrating-I know he is the biggest draw-but he gets within 5 shots of the lead and he is the headline, the strapline and most of the story. I feel I’ve read more about Tiger this week than Koepka. My none golfing friends and family are asking who he is-he’s won 3 majors in a little over 12 months (recovered from a bad injury in the middle) and is now world number 2. He should be box office, but the tiger effect negates that, and I think that is a shame. Maybe it will go away if tiger actually wins one and once the fuss dies down, but I do think it is detrimental to golf coverage at the mo-even if it draws readers/viewers in.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Tiger wouldn't win a monthly medal at my place never mind a Major driving the ball like that. Missed all of the first 6 fairways, that would probably have been 2 or 3 lost balls at least :eek:

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Record attendance since 2009, god knows what the ratings were.

There were even reports of many people leaving the 18th after TW putted out. Like it or lump it, the massive majority want to see TW.

You can always press this, if the coverage is too much....:thup:

clarke_111

Medal Winner
Visit site
Couldn’t press that as couldn’t be bothered to watch the tin pot coverage in the first place. Just followed on line commentary.

For me the press are doing a disservice to the other players, including a very worthy champion. And if it’s true that people left after TW finished I’m not convinced that is really the kind of golf fan we need. Still can go back to watching the European Tour now without the myopia for a while!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Record attendance since 2009, god knows what the ratings were.

There were even reports of many people leaving the 18th after TW putted out. Like it or lump it, the massive majority want to see TW.

You can always press this, if the coverage is too much....:thup:

Funnily enough I actually want to watch the GOLF. I am not there to solely watch Tiger play golf, but to watch the whole tournament and all the players play golf.

Your argument seems to be, well if you don't want to watch Tiger play don't bother watching, which is ridiculous when talking about a major

D

Deleted Member 1156

I wonder if there is any correlation between Tiger Woods fans and Man Utd fans......

#trophyhunters

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Difference now is that many other's best is at least as good as Tiger's best

Going to be exciting if he doesn't have any more enforced layoffs, I mean injuries.

Back in the day his best blew everyone out of water. When he wasn't at his best he still won as everyone crumbled

He's shown massive improvement but when all is said and done that's another year gone without a major (how many years is that now? 11?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tiger should win again if he has a half decent week with the driver.

He still has the fire in his belly and it was great to see.

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Funnily enough I actually want to watch the GOLF. I am not there to solely watch Tiger play golf, but to watch the whole tournament and all the players play golf.

Your argument seems to be, well if you don't want to watch Tiger play don't bother watching, which is ridiculous when talking about a major

Then why waste energy bitching and moaning on a forum... Channel it into whoever is broadcasting the golf with polite yet stern email. Or better still, stage a protest. ;)
If the channel is showing too much TW, there's a business reason why. They're not doing it for s$£^s and giggles to pee off the minority.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
That's as good as Tiger has putted in years.
Did amazing to hang onto a score, albeit Brooks would probably have still won if Tiger had birdied 17.

The problem that Tiger has to correct is that it seems he can only hit a fade. His right to left shots just don't work and often end up going right (tee shot on 17). He is certainly going to severely handicap himself at the Masters if he can't find some kind of draw, or even a straight shot to get the ball in play safely.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is he still using that tensi orange shaft? Supposedly its popular with tour players who want to see a fade. He needs to get an offset dunlop driver and try to keep it on the planet.

Extremely frustrating.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think everyone one realises that

Woods being 'back' is good for the game

However, he is just one in a pack of very good players now. Sure, his achievements and superstar status merits a bit more coverage than most but it is out of proportion. So much hyperbole.

I don't like the man. Never have. But I respect his achievements and his status in the game as one of the all time greats and the excitements he brings.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Then why waste energy bitching and moaning on a forum... Channel it into whoever is broadcasting the golf with polite yet stern email. Or better still, stage a protest. ;)
If the channel is showing too much TW, there's a business reason why. They're not doing it for s$£^s and giggles to pee off the minority.

I'm not bitching and moaning. I was trying to explain that while I don't dislike Tiger (or love him) why it can be very frustrating to watch golf when the coverage both on and off the course is so dominated by one person.

Also I really don't think there is a good business case for what they do. Does the sycophantic levels of coverage draw in more viewers than just Woods doing well anyway.

If Woods won the PGA but the got the same coverage Koepka got then loads of people would still have watched, it doesn't have to be this level

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Tiger being back may be good for the TV figures but I still don't want him to win another major. The new crop of players are just way better than him. Longer, straighter, better touch and control, better putters etc. He may have been streets ahead of them at his peak but he's nowhere near that now.

And Dan. He definitely has dropped a rickett mentally. Hit the front twice in the past month and failed to do it. Old Tiger would have won going away.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tiger wouldn't win a monthly medal at my place never mind a Major driving the ball like that. Missed all of the first 6 fairways, that would probably have been 2 or 3 lost balls at least :eek:

Rubbish. He would smash up any course set up for a monthly medal. Nobody would come close to him. What a stupid statement .. he could miss every fairway take Pen and still prob come in under par. These courses are another level to any track amateurs play. 500 yard par 4s

D

Deleted Member 1156

Don't think he would lower his standards and play a rubbish course.

Rubbish. He would smash up any course set up for a monthly medal. Nobody would come close to him. What a stupid statement .. he could miss every fairway take Pen and still prob come in under par. These courses are another level to any track amateurs play. 500 yard par 4s

Oh dear, looks like I've touched a nerve :whistle:

Let me know when your course makes it into the top 100 Tony :thup: