bunker play

steve7

Head Pro
Visit site
Afternoon all,I am not very confident in getting the ball out of bunkers.Can anyone recommend a good dvd/book that helped them.All replies appreciated.:confused:

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Google the luke donald short game /bunker videos he did with mizuno. His bunker one is pretty good.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There is plenty of good bunker videos online.

Pick a few of the different techniques. Then go and try them out. Also try them out in different conditions (dry or wet packed) and depths of sand.

It takes some time and effort.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Afternoon all,I am not very confident in getting the ball out of bunkers.Can anyone recommend a good dvd/book that helped them.All replies appreciated.:confused:

Very marmite way of playing it but look up Gary Smith linear method on google or YouTube. Has got ,e using the bounce so much better and far more confident in sand. However, having said that I'm another who would prefer to get a lesson rather than self learn, but that's just the way I prefer to do things

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was always naturally fairly confident in bunkers, don't know where I learned the technique from but I (almost) never left a ball in the bunker and used to get it within putting range quite a bit, or so I felt anyway. And that's important cos as long as you're confident you shouldn't have any major meltdowns.

Then I watched various Youtube videos to improve it, and because there is so much contradictory information ended up being woeful out of the sand. As in no chance of getting it close, often skyed through the green and far away or left agonisingly in.

Had a lesson with Bobmac, the technique I use now is very different to what I had originally but I can safely say I'm back to being confident in the sand again. Splashed one dead a few times in the last few rounds. Other times no drama. It was starting to get in my head, I'm glad I sought professional advice rather than the video sort. The thing is any one of those videos might work for you, but any one of them might not. Folk might have found the video that fits them and profess it’s the best, because it is, for them.

And then there's a little from one vid, a little from another. That way lies torture.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Definitely get a lesson, but in the meantime I'll give you 2 tips that helped me immensely. So much so that from being doomed when I was in a bunker previously, I'm now thinking of bunker shots like I do a little chip on to the green.

1 - Load your left leg with all of the weight in the thigh (if right handed). Keep the weight there throughout the swing.
2 - Make your arms (forearms especially) as light and as relaxed as you possibly can.

Give it a go and good luck! But definitely get a lesson booked too.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
:thup:

Though I'd ignore his 'butterfly' grip initially!

And there are some other techniques required if bunkers are very deep! Generally, the deeper the bunker, the steeper the down-swing has to be - while still using the bounce properly (as per Cowen's spiel!).

yeah it is very weird doing the butterfly grip, especially with the Vardon grip, my little finger is sitting on top of my index finger knuckle. Think I might experiment using the baseball grip instead. But overall his technique works.