Bunker play

Jason.H

Visit site
I’m reasonable from bunkers tbh but wouldn’t say confident to get close. I do go in the practice bunker maybe every 2 weeks so getting better.
Do other low handicap golfers on here work on this area or just hope to avoid the pots? 😂
My main downfall is thinking of what not to do during the backswing 😂 and that’s for all my shots not just bunkers. Now and then I m confident and this don’t creep in and I focus on what I want to do and I play my best.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think part of the reason people have problems is they watch the guys on TV playing from perfectly prepared bunkers and it's easy. A little flick with half an inch of sand and watch it dance.
In reality it's nothing like that.

There are different techniques for different shots but I use one technique for all shots...
Hands down the grip
Open the face then aim your body left so the face is pointing at your target (RH)
Ball well forward
Hit the sand hard, 3-5in behind the ball and go 3-4in deep.
Finish with a high full follow through.
The only variation is in fluffy sand don't go too deep.

Here's an old man getting it out with a 56 SW (I think)

RichA

Visit site
I think part of the reason people have problems is they watch the guys on TV playing from perfectly prepared bunkers and it's easy. A little flick with half an inch of sand and watch it dance.
In reality it's nothing like that.

There are different techniques for different shots but I use one technique for all shots...
Hands down the grip
Open the face then aim your body left so the face is pointing at your target (RH)
Ball well forward
Hit the sand hard, 3-5in behind the ball and go 3-4in deep.
Finish with a high full follow through.
The only variation is in fluffy sand don't go too deep.

Here's an old man getting it out with a 56 SW (I think)

Any tips for a course where they seem to use cheap builders' sharp sand and rarely rake them? Think Southport beach when the tide is out.

Springveldt

Visit site
I’ve been struggling out of bunkers lately as ours are inconsistent, some have a foot of sand and others have a millimetre. When I try the open face, splash it out approach it’s either a shank, thin over the green or digs down too much and I don’t get it out.

I watched this video the other night and was in 2 bunkers last night. Used the technique and hit both of them to within 8 foot.

RichA

Visit site
Thank you. Our bunkers are a mixture of recently renovated with decent sand and others that have older crappy sand - sometimes raked, sometimes hard, flat and wet.
In addition to my 56°, I've started carrying low bounce, bladey 54 and 60° wedges for the flat ones. I can usually get the ball out but controlling it seems almost impossible. It's so tempting to try and chip it, but it's a bit risky when you're skill levels are patchy.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The important thing for me is the confidence in my technique, once I've got that I can back myself to get out every time. The biggest problem I see is the deceleration on the downswing when caddying. Been in plenty of bu kers this year so practice isn't required 🤣

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My bunker play is usually excellent and I have no concerns when facing any sort of bunker shot - except yesterday I had two bunker shots and made a total mess of both. I was dumflumoxed 🤔

Anyway…what has made the difference for me is that our rebuilt bunkers are generally consistent across the board…and I have learnt what bounce is and how to use it when playing a bunker shot.

Jason.H

Visit site
The important thing for me is the confidence in my technique, once I've got that I can back myself to get out every time. The biggest problem I see is the deceleration on the downswing when caddying. Been in plenty of bu kers this year so practice isn't required 🤣
I have no problem getting out. Probably get up and down 1 out of 3 times

Jason.H

Visit site
Don;t worry about getting it close, just get it out firs ttime to 10/15ft. Give yourself a chance at a one putt.
That’s pretty much where I’m at. I do occasionally hit it close. I think a weekly bunker practice session should see me getting up and down 50% of the time rather than 33%

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Our bunkers are pitiful. The worst element of an otherwise decent course. They are full of stones, which wash up to the surface when it rains, and the majority have very compact sand. The problem is that not all of them do, and shuffling your feet in as you take a stance doesn’t give much of a clue. So it’s largely pot luck.

I try and put as much weight on my left side as I can and it helps, but the sooner they’re all renovated the better.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pardraig Harrington did a great masterclass out of bunkers at one of the British Masters comps on Sky. Think it was one at Close House. Google it, it was excellent.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Our bunkers are pitiful. The worst element of an otherwise decent course. They are full of stones, which wash up to the surface when it rains, and the majority have very compact sand. The problem is that not all of them do, and shuffling your feet in as you take a stance doesn’t give much of a clue. So it’s largely pot luck.

I try and put as much weight on my left side as I can and it helps, but the sooner they’re all renovated the better.
Can't you move stones in bunkers these days?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s pretty much where I’m at. I do occasionally hit it close. I think a weekly bunker practice session should see me getting up and down 50% of the time rather than 33%
Possibly. I'm off 2, and bunkers can be really inconsistent, so having to try and change the way I play the shot every time. What's annoying is when you dig your feet in and feel a load of sand, but the ball is sat on hard pan, but there were no real visual clues.