Budget 2021. What 1 change would you make?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
if people are really apprehensive, which I could understand as jobs are gonna go when the furlough bubble bursts. You could argue that lowering 2.5% would be wrong as it would be encouraging people to spend what they shouldn’t....

Also, unless you’re buying a big ticket item, it’s peanuts you’re saving, but millions that’s taken out of the economy.

It's proven before to boost spending money more comes in rather than people not spending

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
It's proven before to boost spending money more comes in rather than people not spending

yes, but your point a second ago was that people would be apprehensive to spend, and on this occasion they would Be right to be so.
do we want to trick peope into spending money as acts all it is, when t
here are likely massive redundancy/sackings around the corner?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go for the 'short, sharp shock approach'. Work out how much you would need to increase income tax to the middle and high rate bands to repay a good chunk of the covid debt over the next 5 years and apply that. Put in place cast iron laws to reduce it back to current levels when the debt reaches an agreed level.

Oh and move the end date for the stamp duty holiday. I really do not fancy having to deal with that in 3 weeks, especially when many transactions are held up due to delays in local authority searches caused by covid.

D

Deleted member 25172

Go for the 'short, sharp shock approach'. Work out how much you would need to increase income tax to the middle and high rate bands to repay a good chunk of the covid debt over the next 5 years and apply that. Put in place cast iron laws to reduce it back to current levels when the debt reaches an agreed level.

Oh and move the end date for the stamp duty holiday. I really do not fancy having to deal with that in 3 weeks, especially when many transactions are held up due to delays in local authority searches caused by covid.

This would be the one for me as well.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
New tax for online retailers like Amazon to give the high street more of a level playing field.
^^^^^^

This plus somehow closing the loophole which allows major companies to be based and operate here, make major profits here but have a token head office in Geneva, Monaco, Luxembourg etc in order to avoid UK taxes.

(I know the OP said one idea but I'm hoping this colud be merged into one long sentence :D)

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Simplify the tax system in all area's, for example equilise tax rates for caital, income, and corporations thus avoiding insentives to move money from one to the other, and remove all tax allowances with the exception of the personnal allowance, pension contributions and genuine business expenses. Costs savings at HMRC could then be invested in more staff to work on tax evasion.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Absolutely against that idea.

Last summer the country sold out of home jacuzzis and everyone ate out 3 times a week. When the shops are open people will go.
we have to raise funds, a massive increase to corporate tax needs to come in imo. Any company that used the furlough scheme should pay a massive hike on their profits for the next 3 years, or until their additional taxes exceed 50% of what was paid for them.

The problem with that is that most UK companies costs are go up considerably if they export/import at the moment due to Brexit, new customs procedures, lack of preference on certain products so if we go too high we will not be competitive. The pound has also improved against the Euro and dollar so making it even harder to be competitive.