Budget 2021. What 1 change would you make?

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Go for the 'short, sharp shock approach'. Work out how much you would need to increase income tax to the middle and high rate bands to repay a good chunk of the covid debt over the next 5 years and apply that. Put in place cast iron laws to reduce it back to current levels when the debt reaches an agreed level.

Oh and move the end date for the stamp duty holiday. I really do not fancy having to deal with that in 3 weeks, especially when many transactions are held up due to delays in local authority searches caused by covid.
I think the stamp duty holiday extension is the worst kept secret in this budget.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the stamp duty holiday extension is the worst kept secret in this budget.

Pretty much but the pandemic has seen the time taken to produce a local search mover form 2 weeks to 8 weeks in a number of authorities that I deal with and so, basically, if they did not extend it anyone who found a property after xmas was going to be out of luck.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Switch road tax to more duty on fuel. The more you use the roads, the more you're taxed. This will also catch the foreign lorries coming to the UK, using the roads but paying no road tax, assuming they fill their tanks here.

I have advocated this for years but would also take in to account the OP electric vehicles do not pay any form of road tax but still use the roads and adding the tax to to fuel tax would still mean them paying no tax. Add further to this I would like the third party portion of car insurance added to fuel duty so everybody who drives has insurance.

D

Deleted member 16999

To make tax avoidance illegal would require a change to just about tax law going.

I hope you are not confusing it with tax evasion which is illegal.
I know exactly what I put and what I meant.:rolleyes:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know exactly what I put and what I meant.:rolleyes:

So the local self employed builder would not be allowed to put all the expenses of of running a business against his tax bill .

Nobody owning a business would be allowed to be treated as director and must be treated as an employee and so the lists go on

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Remove the upper limit on National Insurance.

A lot of the additional expenditure incurred has gone to this country's health system and it needs paying for.

D

Deleted member 16999

Come on lads, I was hoping to keep this calm, collected and perhaps considered, which is why I said “1” change to the budget. There has to be no explaining of ones choice needed:)
I thought your op was quite clear, ??

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
yes, but your point a second ago was that people would be apprehensive to spend, and on this occasion they would Be right to be so.
do we want to trick peope into spending money as acts all it is, when t
here are likely massive redundancy/sackings around the corner?

Exactly why spending your way out of recession can help boost the economy and create jobs

More jobs will go if nobody spends

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ditto, I don't work weekends as I'll basically be working for half the overtime rate once it's had deductions. Not worth getting out of bed for imo.

Ah see 40% tax or not if there overtime going at weekends count me in lol gets me out the house atm!!!

However our weekends are 12 hours and our standard nights are 10 hours so does make it more attractive