What would you do? Another slow play thread

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Interested in hearing your thoughts on a current situation we are experiencing. This could get quite long so bare with me..

We tee off every Saturday morning at 7.24 and pace of play is generally good yet there is one group right behind us which are causing issues saying we are slow.

The first time this was raised was about 3 weeks ago when said individual approached me in the foyer of the club and told us to speed up. Initially I thought he was joking as we had completed the round in 3 hours 45 mins as a 4 ball and had kept up with the 3 ball in front of us. His main issue was the fact they had to wait a couple of minutes on the 18th for their approach shots just as we had done as well, there was literally no gap in front of us the whole way and we definitely had not lost a hole.

Adding to this, we had let them through the week before as they were a 2 ball. Actually let 2 2 balls through as they were playing directly behind each other and dismissed any advice we gave them about joining up to make a 4. The best bit was, the first 2 ball let the 2nd 2 ball through eventually.

The next week was a wash out so there was no issues but we did speak with another member of the 4 ball who had apologized and said they wern't aware we were waiting etc.

This Saturday was Captains day and I felt on edge all day, kept checking behind me to ensure they wernt waiting and found myself rushed and under pressure even though we were waiting for the group in front as normal. When I say waiting, I am talking about 1 min or so every couple of holes, mainly ones where we are going for in two and the group in front lay up with their approach shots (like 18...)

Nothing was said straight after the round but was sitting in the bar in the evening and sits down said individual. Initially he apologised a lot and shook my hand etc. we even bought him a drink. But then he started to go off on one.

Stating things like,
You are new members here arent you? I said yes, 2 years. and he said yep we knew that, its been slow ever since you joined.

I don't want you to feel not welcomed here as you are welcome but you need to speed up

You must be a big hitter, is that why you wait for every green to clear?

This repeated for about 15 mins with the same questions and same answers over and over again.

Some language which cannot be repeated on here.

Eventually my PP and myself lost it and started arguing with him. I said to him that I was leaving the table as I couldn't stick speaking to him anymore.

I am not sure what he wants us to do, we get round in 3.30-3.45 hours every single week, if there is a gap we let them through (as shown the week before). We wait for the green to clear because we don't want to hit anyone with a ball and I am not changing my game for some guy to get round 5 mins earlier.

I really am fed up with it, I do not know why he is blaming us, I am sure if he was in the group behind or infront he would be doing the same. I have heard of other groups having a run in with the same guy for other offences such as leaving a trolley too close to a green as it put him off (even though it is the same place that everyone leaves their trolley)

I am not going to let it bother me going forward and won't be feeling pressured. He can now patiently wait.

Rant over.

What would you do?

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For wanting an easier life the easy option surely is for you and them to swap tee times so they tee off in front.

Then come in and complain about everytime you had to wait to play a shot because they were holding you up :)

That is actually a great idea... Maybe can also employ the idea of not waiting for the green to clear that he wants us to implement!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
For wanting an easier life the easy option surely is for you and them to swap tee times so they tee off in front.

Then come in and complain about everytime you had to wait to play a shot because they were holding you up :)

Exactly what Fundy suggests.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am not sure what he wants us to do, we get round in 3.30-3.45 hours every single week, if there is a gap we let them through (as shown the week before). We wait for the green to clear because we don't want to hit anyone with a ball and I am not changing my game for some guy to get round 5 mins earlier.
I presume you would have asked him this exact question? Did he say what he expects to happen??

Fundy mentioned it already, but I was thinking the same as I read your account - if you're each playing at the same times each week then simple offer to swap tee times with him permanently so his group is in front of yours. Not only does it stop him bothering you, maybe he will learn something when you're suddenly 'waiting' for him.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Couple of options - possibly do both!

1. Discuss it with/Report it to Club Management!

2. Offer to swap tee times with him. But resist the temptation to play into them. However, register every time you were waiting for them to clear. It's irrelevant whether or not they are the cause, as exactly the same applies to you currently.

Btw. This all assumes that you are 'up with' the group ahead. You don't/shouldn't have to be right up their backsides, as this makes for an unpleasant round for both/all parties! 2 Years is not 'new' imo!

Oh and what is the gap between groups? My course starts with a (nasty) Par 3 (though I birdied it last time out!). An advantage of that is that it forces a minimum 9 min gap between tee times. Thank you Seve!

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I presume you would have asked him this exact question? Did he say what he expects to happen??

Fundy mentioned it already, but I was thinking the same as I read your account - if you're each playing at the same times each week then simple offer to swap tee times with him permanently so his group is in front of yours. Not only does it stop him bothering you, maybe he will learn something when you're suddenly 'waiting' for him.

His answer is simple, speed up...

Yet he has no solution for the fact people are infront of us

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Couple of options - possibly do both!

1. Discuss it with/Report it to Club Management!

2. Offer to swap tee times with him. But resist the temptation to play into them. However, register every time you were waiting for them to clear. It's irrelevant whether or not they are the cause, as exactly the same applies to you currently.

Btw. This all assumes that you are 'up with' the group ahead. You don't/shouldn't have to be right up their backsides, as this makes for an unpleasant round for both/all parties! 2 Years is not 'new' imo!

Oh and what is the gap between groups? My course starts with a (nasty) Par 3 (though I birdied it last time out!). An advantage of that is that it forces a minimum 9 min gap between tee times. Thank you Seve!

I have spoken informally to a committee member and he has said we are doing all we can as we are keeping up with the group in front and 3 hour 45 mins is under the recommended time for the round so to keep an eye on it for now and see if it continues.

I do like the idea of swapping times with the group behind us but I am also reluctant to as the guys infront of us are friends of one of the other people in our 4 ball and we have breakfast together after the round.

I hate pushing groups infront hard as I know how unpleasant it is, the thing is, I dont even think the group behind us were pushing us hard but I felt like I had to rush. The only time they waited was on the 18th as it is a long par 4 which a lot of people cannot reach in 2. As I mentioned, we waited as well.
Our tee times are 8 min slots, but our second hole is a long par 3 which does cause a bit of a hold up.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Personally I think that if you're going round in 3hr 45mins as a 4 ball then the issue lies with the guy behind and his idea of what is slow/fast. Have you spoken to others in his group, do they think the same thing? It sounds as though it's limited to just this one member of the group and so I would just ignore it, play your own game and if he's intent on winding himself up about speed of play then let him get on with it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some great answers already and the guy sounds like a total prat, I gave you the clean version there. If he moans again tell him to put it in writing to the committee, stop bending your ear because you don't want to hear it. If he keeps talking then walk away or give him the hand, ask a teenage girl what that is if you need to find out :D. From all that you have written you are doing everything correctly and the bloke is an idiot.

Incidentally, switching off from an idiot is easier said than done, I appreciate that. Best of luck in sorting this out.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Personally I think that if you're going round in 3hr 45mins as a 4 ball then the issue lies with the guy behind and his idea of what is slow/fast. Have you spoken to others in his group, do they think the same thing? It sounds as though it's limited to just this one member of the group and so I would just ignore it, play your own game and if he's intent on winding himself up about speed of play then let him get on with it.

That is my opinion as well.

One of them did get involved the first time it was raised but he was more concerned about the fact we didn't ring a bell, which we did. So he just told us to ring it louder (which we do).

He is the one who we spoke to recently who apologised and we had a drink the other night before the other guy appeared.

We are going to speak to him again next time we see him.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Some great answers already and the guy sounds like a total prat, I gave you the clean version there. If he moans again tell him to put it in writing to the committee, stop bending your ear because you don't want to hear it. If he keeps talking then walk away or give him the hand, ask a teenage girl what that is if you need to find out :D. From all that you have written you are doing everything correctly and the bloke is an idiot.

I told him in pretty plain English I do not want to hear another word about it before I got up and left the table. If that doesn't sink in then I don't know what will.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I have spoken informally to a committee member and he has said we are doing all we can as we are keeping up with the group in front and 3 hour 45 mins is under the recommended time for the round so to keep an eye on it for now and see if it continues.

I do like the idea of swapping times with the group behind us but I am also reluctant to as the guys infront of us are friends of one of the other people in our 4 ball and we have breakfast together after the round.

I hate pushing groups infront hard as I know how unpleasant it is, the thing is, I dont even think the group behind us were pushing us hard but I felt like I had to rush. The only time they waited was on the 18th as it is a long par 4 which a lot of people cannot reach in 2. As I mentioned, we waited as well.
Our tee times are 8 min slots, but our second hole is a long par 3 which does cause a bit of a hold up.
All seems reasonable on your part.

I wouldn't offer him your slot permanently - just 1 round should do the trick!

Oh forgot to include earlier....3. Suggest HE discuss it with Club Management!

2nd hole should serve the same purpose as our 1st. 18th is not uncommon, nor unreasonable. If that's pretty much the only place where it happens, then all is fine imo. The guy does sound like a prat!

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
3. Suggest HE discuss it with Club Management!

This is probably a good idea, suggest he complains to the powers that be if he feels that strongly, put the onus on him to do something about it. If you are required to give you side of events then you can do knowing that you're pretty much in the right. It's then up to the club to decide how best to deal with it.