Boris will let us play golf on March 29

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
29th March whoopee do...golf is and has been destroyed by this government. No roll ups likely to ever be run again. No standing at the bar with a beer after a round. No swapping cards before a round of golf. Crappy bunkers with no rakes. No hearing the sound of a putt going into a hole without a flag. No handshakes before and after games. No trying out friends clubs. The list goes on. I don't care when it comes back as it's already long gone in my mind and heart

Is your glass always half empty?

Edit:

mm - thought I remembered something - looked back to this thread.

https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/abusive-call-through.102868/

Post #34 on - possible troll alert. :D

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

29th March whoopee do...golf is and has been destroyed by this government. No roll ups likely to ever be run again. No standing at the bar with a beer after a round. No swapping cards before a round of golf. Crappy bunkers with no rakes. No hearing the sound of a putt going into a hole without a flag. No handshakes before and after games. No trying out friends clubs. The list goes on. I don't care when it comes back as it's already long gone in my mind and heart
Bummer isn't it. Still, at least you are alive and well. Thousands aren't.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Depends how much you know about rugby training and what stage of the long established back to rugby covid protocols they are starting at. Rugby clubs have rules and procedures to remain covid safe same as golf. Believe it or not they may not be going back to full contact training or playing and, in fact, the season at amateur level is already cancelled and would have ended soon anyway. It will probably be mainly strength and conditioning for next season all outdoors. When I played there were weeks if training before I got near a scrum machine let alone a real scrum

Irrespective, what my analogy meant is that there are many different risks within various categories. Golf is an outdoor sport in the same way that a local pub is part of the hospitality industry. Both pose significantly different risks to other elements in the group but follow the overall rules and restrictions.

In any event, I choose to celebrate each area that is released from restrictions (see current Twitter argument with a gym owner decrying posh sports of golf and tennis being allowed whereas his affordable gyms stay closed) rather than denigrate them because I am not allowed to do what I want.
It's not about denigrating anything :sleep:

If rugby isn't going to involve physical contact until much later, fair enough. But I have had a quick look and there appears to be nothing out there saying this will be the case.

I understood your analogy, I just don't think it comes near the same scale as comparing rugby and golf.

RichA

Visit site
"Boris will let us play golf on March 29"
Looking forward to getting back on the course, but probably won't be until the 30th. 29th will also be the first time in over 3 months I'll be allowed to visit my elderly father up north for a socially distanced cup of coffee in the garden.
As much as I've missed my hobby, it doesn't seem particularly outrageous to me that golf wasn't prioritised over reuniting families.
My anecdotal data suggests that 94% of the population don't play golf. Most have families members they quite like.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How do you figure that out? Roll ups will just return as soon as they're allowed. The bars will open as soon as they're allowed. The practise of shaking hands may not come back but who cares about that? That's not important. A fist bump or a nod means the same thing.

Boomy

Visit site

I'm a bit confused as to how "this government" has destroyed golf and ended all the things you list? :unsure: The government is trying to manage a pandemic and get us back to all of the things we love doing, see all of the people we love to see and just get us back to some normality in general. Thanks to the work of the government (and yes I know at times their decisions don't agree with us all) the scientists and all of the other key people working through this we are hopefully on track to get back to the majority of things we have had to suspend doing...

Yorkhacker

Visit site

I take it you'll be selling your clubs and finding a new hobby if that's how you feel

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's not about denigrating anything :sleep:

If rugby isn't going to involve physical contact until much later, fair enough. But I have had a quick look and there appears to be nothing out there saying this will be the case.

I understood your analogy, I just don't think it comes near the same scale as comparing rugby and golf.

Apologies but I see any argument of 'why can they do that when I cannot do this' as an argument against something being permitted (which has to be the case unless you are saying that hugging people should now be fully permitted). If you are arguing that the new roadmap is too strict and full personal contact should be allowed from day 1 then that is different (and I disagree with that)

In any event, rugby training starts as pairs only and does not allow any form of face to face training until about stage 3 or 4 and that is limited. Most of last year was spent in the first stage which is just exercising in pairs. There are similarities, a high risk activity and a low risk one both subject to the same rules within a wider national definition.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't agree with all Parky said, but I do wonder if roll ups will be a thing of the past at many clubs.

We introduced a booking system, like many clubs, as part of the cover measures. I think that's here to stay so can't see how a block booking to cater for roll ups will be viable or permitted.

D

Deleted member 15344

Don't agree with all Parky said, but I do wonder if roll ups will be a thing of the past at many clubs.

We introduced a booking system, like many clubs, as part of the cover measures. I think that's here to stay so can't see how a block booking to cater for roll ups will be viable or permitted.
Rolls ups can still be incorporated within a booking system

Currently at the moment we do a “virtual roll up”

I get the names - do a draw and then we book the times - at the moment we turn up and then go home after

But when things are eased a little we will prob all turn up before the first tee - have a chat and a coffee , go out and play , then finish with a drink in the bar

I’m not sure if we will keep tee times as there are positives and negatives about it - it will be interesting to see what the members think , older established members want to get rid of it - the newer younger ones want to keep it - dilemma time

Ridgeman

Visit site
I'm a bit confused as to how "this government" has destroyed golf and ended all the things you list? :unsure: The government is trying to manage a pandemic and get us back to all of the things we love doing, see all of the people we love to see and just get us back to some normality in general. Thanks to the work of the government (and yes I know at times their decisions don't agree with us all) the scientists and all of the other key people working through this we are hopefully on track to get back to the majority of things we have had to suspend doing...
I think the issue is that golf has been handled differently this time in different parts of the country. In Scotland during the latest lockdown golf was still allowed to be played. The weather on the other hand put a stop to that. We only started getting out again last week. Its a maximum of 2 people per tee time. I know it was suggested earlier that in some way this was Nicola trying to outdo Boris in someway but the reality is she normally errs on the side of caution. Our lockdowns in Scotland have tended to be far quicker in coming and far slower in being relaxed.

All roadmaps to getting out of this will be littered with errors in hindsight. At the moment ours seems to have worked better than elsewhere in that the numbers have been less for sometime. However, equally, the nursing home issue in the first lockdown was handled very badly. Stopping the game of golf I don't understand. Playing golf on a golf course is probably safer than walking round a golf coure together. You spend more time apart while playing. However, the other non-playing parts of golf are far more challenging. The locker rooms, indoor areas etc. Those for us are still closed and I have no doubt will be for a couple of months more.

If all this is being decided by science and scientists then I can only think our Scottish scientists are golfers in whatever spare time they have.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

We've never been a "booking" club apart from Sunday mornings and another time which escapes me at the moment.
Obviously with Covid we became a full booking club as did everyone.
Many like it, some don't.
The constitution of the club says we will revert to non booking as soon as possible but I have a feeling a EGM may be called and it put to a vote.
Personally, I like both systems but I'd vote to stay with a booking system.

Mandofred

Visit site
Rolls ups can still be incorporated within a booking system

Currently at the moment we do a “virtual roll up”

I get the names - do a draw and then we book the times - at the moment we turn up and then go home after

But when things are eased a little we will prob all turn up before the first tee - have a chat and a coffee , go out and play , then finish with a drink in the bar

I’m not sure if we will keep tee times as there are positives and negatives about it - it will be interesting to see what the members think , older established members want to get rid of it - the newer younger ones want to keep it - dilemma time
Same at our place. We had times blocked out for roll ups, couple of hours for the ladies on Tues mornings, Medals etc etc.....easy enough for them to do if they want.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Golf is considered as dangerous/safe as rugby?! WTF

As a rugby player who does a lot of organising for the club

Rugby may be back but it won't be on the full sense. After last lock down it was done in stages.

Stage 1 - could do fitness straining, no equipment in groups of no more than 6
Stage 2 - still groups of 6 but can introduce minimal equipment such as a ball, but needs to be regularly sanitised
Stage 3 - Groups of 10, can play touch rugby, no contact
Stage 4 - Groups of 20, again no contact, but can do some set piece work like lineouts, but only for 15 minutes
Stage 5 - still groups of 20 but can now do contact, limited to 15 minutes

all of which, happened with a register of names being taken with contact details, temperatures etc so if anyone got ill we could contact everyone else so they could isolate

Rugby may be back on 29, though I am skeptical, but it will start as something very light

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Apologies but I see any argument of 'why can they do that when I cannot do this' as an argument against something being permitted (which has to be the case unless you are saying that hugging people should now be fully permitted). If you are arguing that the new roadmap is too strict and full personal contact should be allowed from day 1 then that is different (and I disagree with that)

In any event, rugby training starts as pairs only and does not allow any form of face to face training until about stage 3 or 4 and that is limited. Most of last year was spent in the first stage which is just exercising in pairs. There are similarities, a high risk activity and a low risk one both subject to the same rules within a wider national definition.
Fair enough if rugby is effectively not going to be rugby, and more just exercises in the build up to rugby being allowed.

I think you're either not understanding what I am saying or not reading it properly. It really doesn't matter though - I think this roadmap thing is a good idea, not too strict and not overly lenient either. But there are most definitely some strange anomalies there, such as being allowed to meet someone outside for a coffee, but no golf.

Crumplezone

Visit site

I don't care about any of those things as long as I get to hit some balls round a field with some sticks.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a rugby player who does a lot of organising for the club

Rugby may be back but it won't be on the full sense. After last lock down it was done in stages.

Stage 1 - could do fitness straining, no equipment in groups of no more than 6
Stage 2 - still groups of 6 but can introduce minimal equipment such as a ball, but needs to be regularly sanitised
Stage 3 - Groups of 10, can play touch rugby, no contact
Stage 4 - Groups of 20, again no contact, but can do some set piece work like lineouts, but only for 15 minutes
Stage 5 - still groups of 20 but can now do contact, limited to 15 minutes

all of which, happened with a register of names being taken with contact details, temperatures etc so if anyone got ill we could contact everyone else so they could isolate

Rugby may be back on 29, though I am skeptical, but it will start as something very light

Other than to get players together or to start a very long pre season and work off some of the rust, I cannot see much point in starting rugby up again so late in the current season. Guess that may allow the championship to start up again.

RichA

Visit site
...all of which, happened with a register of names being taken with contact details, temperatures etc so if anyone got ill we could contact everyone else so they could isolate...
For particular activities that require multiple staff in an enclosed space for a prolonged period, my employer has introduced Lateral Flow Testing. It takes less than half an hour and is supposed to be reliable. Would probably be useful for organised sport training and competition, although I have no idea of cost.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Other than to get players together or to start a very long pre season and work off some of the rust, I cannot see much point in starting rugby up again so late in the current season. Guess that may allow the championship to start up again.

That's a completely different and valid question. I don't think any leagues are starting. For community teams like ours it is more for the social aspect of being able to meet up with your team mates, which we have basically lost for a whole year