Boris will let us play golf on March 29

4LEX

Visit site
As predicted in the other thread, a ridiculously late date to open golf up.

Golf clubs don't want to open up with a load of two ball hassle. They'd rather pocket the members fees, wring every inch of the furlough and open in a new membershipship year essentially. Blame BoJo but the golf clubs themselves have been very quiet in all this, it's only a token effort by England Golf that was put forward.

But in spite of the unfairness and laughable double standards of it all, I'm going to sit it out and wait. The roadmap is more generous than I expected overall and what's 3 weeks in life? Roll on March 29th (y)

sunshine

Visit site
As predicted in the other thread, a ridiculously late date to open golf up.

Golf clubs don't want to open up with a load of two ball hassle. They'd rather pocket the members fees, wring every inch of the furlough and open in a new membershipship year essentially. Blame BoJo but the golf clubs themselves have been very quiet in all this, it's only a token effort by England Golf that was put forward.

But in spite of the unfairness and laughable double standards of it all, I'm going to sit it out and wait. The roadmap is more generous than I expected overall and what's 3 weeks in life? Roll on March 29th (y)

I don't think it's fair to criticise individual golf clubs, I believe that they should be seen to comply with the government guidelines and regulations.

However, I agree with you that England Golf could have done better, and done more. I saw the parliamentary debate on golf, the pro golf speakers just delivered a series of sob stories and nothing constructive.

sunshine

Visit site

Sorry I can't agree with any of this. What a waffly and poorly thought through article. Very unimpressed by the "journalism".

Furlough:
If a course has furloughed all staff they won't be bringing them back now to do 5 weeks work they will bring them back closer to 29 March. 8 March allowed 2 full weeks notice which was way more than last year. Add to that the fact that many courses have kept on the greens team this time.

Getting the course ready for summer:
What's he on about? Golf courses in this country are open all year every year. Every year the staff undertake work to prepare for the main season. Unless he's proposing all courses shut every winter he has no argument. Members are currently paying for a course that is playable but closed.

No revenue / funding:
Courses receive very little income from visitors and societies in Jan and Feb so minimal lost revenue. Membership subscriptions are still being charged and collected so no impact. It does of course affect pay and play courses.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry I can't agree with any of this. What a waffly and poorly thought through article. Very unimpressed by the "journalism".

Furlough:
If a course has furloughed all staff they won't be bringing them back now to do 5 weeks work they will bring them back closer to 29 March. 8 March allowed 2 full weeks notice which was way more than last year. Add to that the fact that many courses have kept on the greens team this time.

Getting the course ready for summer:
What's he on about? Golf courses in this country are open all year every year. Every year the staff undertake work to prepare for the main season. Unless he's proposing all courses shut every winter he has no argument. Members are currently paying for a course that is playable but closed.

No revenue / funding:
Courses receive very little income from visitors and societies in Jan and Feb so minimal lost revenue. Membership subscriptions are still being charged and collected so no impact. It does of course affect pay and play courses.
You've saved me from writing all this myself