Boris will let us play golf on March 29

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Telegraph, Guardian and Independent have it on Tomorrow's front pages. I have copies but am unable to post them here.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The Times is saying courses to open on 8th March.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Words fail me. Open up schools etc and wait 3 weeks to relax anything else? I'm normally fairly laid back, but having freedoms taken away that I'm finding harder to rationalise is making me ...well a bit angry tbh.

I know how you feel. Although I do actually wonder if the "open the schools, see what happens for a few weeks and then open up other things" is actually quite a responsible thing to do. We all know that schools are already by and large open - my MiL's class of 32 currently has 29 kids turning up every day! - the problem is this "one thing at a time" has come far too late. But I shan't go any further before this devolves into a nasty politics thread!

TheUnwashed

Visit site
The fact that it has been allowed in Scotland throughout says it all. Words actually fail me.

I was thinking I may get a few weeks out of my membership before leaving. Oh stupid me! How dare you go and do something that benefits your health and has as much chance of spreading Covid as there is of getting attacked by a great white off brighton beach.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I know how you feel. Although I do actually wonder if the "open the schools, see what happens for a few weeks and then open up other things" is actually quite a responsible thing to do. We all know that schools are already by and large open - my MiL's class of 32 currently has 29 kids turning up every day! - the problem is this "one thing at a time" has come far too late. But I shan't go any further before this devolves into a nasty politics thread!

The responsible thing to do would be to follow the science, as was promised. Nothing I've seen ever supported the closure of golf on a scientific basis.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
The fact that it has been allowed in Scotland throughout says it all. Words actually fail me.

I was thinking I may get a few weeks out of my membership before leaving. Oh stupid me! How dare you go and do something that benefits your health and has as much chance of spreading Covid as there is of getting attacked by a great white off brighton beach.

The fact that it has been allowed in another part of the Union shows just how much of this has been about points scoring rather than following science.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So last week's catchphrase (no doubt dreamed up by a focus group) was we would follow "data, not dates" coming out of lockdown. Surely this is the polar opposite of that?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So last week's catchphrase (no doubt dreamed up by a focus group) was we would follow "data, not dates" coming out of lockdown. Surely this is the polar opposite of that?
But what is the data? People can cherry pick stats to prove anything they want so you will always get different opinions from people wanting to drive their own agenda.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Words fail me. Open up schools etc and wait 3 weeks to relax anything else? I'm normally fairly laid back, but having freedoms taken away that I'm finding harder to rationalise is making me ...well a bit angry tbh.
Well I tell you what...you’d feel a lot angrier if this pandemic had crashed your life or caused the death of a close one, and not simply put a hold on a pastime...some really do need to get real about how dreadful this last year has been for many. Maybe they don’t matter.:mad:

Blue in Munich

Visit site
But what is the data? People can cherry pick stats to prove anything they want so you will always get different opinions from people wanting to drive their own agenda.

So if people can walk round the countryside in pairs safely, what is the data that says waving a golf club around whilst you do it makes it dangerous? Genuinely, please produce it for us and put a whole bunch of people out of their misery.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Absolutely. Nothing has ever been about the science. No matter what has been said. As you pointed out, it's all point scoring.

There’s been several studies presented to the government to prove that golf has essentially zero risk, and they have the live example from Scotland. It’s 100% a political decision to keep golf closed.

I wouldn’t mind it as much if they didn’t keep bragging about ‘using the data’ but the fact they keep insisting that they are is just infuriating.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So if people can walk round the countryside in pairs safely, what is the data that says waving a golf club around whilst you do it makes it dangerous? Genuinely, please produce it for us and put a whole bunch of people out of their misery.
I am not specifically talking about golf but I’m sure someone might be able to prove that the (percieved) age group of golf club members are in a high risk group and therefore it shouldn’t be allowed.
Please take note, I am not saying golf shouldn’t be allowed but saying that stats can proof anything if you want them to.