Boris will let us play golf on March 29

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's possibly down to not wanting to be seen to be favouring 1 or 2 sports at the expense of others.
And they did say lockdown was going to be eased slowly.
I'm happy that it's going to be in March...was half expecting mid April.?
Walking the dog yesterday I saw runners in pairs, cyclists in pairs. They are already favouring certain sports on that basis. The reasoning behind the golf ban is optics, nothing else.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well I tell you what...you’d feel a lot angrier if this pandemic had crashed your life or caused the death of a close one, and not simply put a hold on a pastime...some really do need to get real about how dreadful this last year has been for many. Maybe they don’t matter.:mad:

Prof Woolhouse who advises SAGE was quoted yesterday saying that studies show the number of cases where the virus was transmitted outdoor was between 1 in 1000 and 1 in 10000. He was recommending that on that basis, and given the large drop in new cases overall, and the faster than expected rollout of the vaccine, outdoor sport should be allowed immediately.

That is a data driven approach. What was leaked last night was driven (rightly or wrongly) by a desire to send a message that we are going to be as ultra-cautious as possible. That is a perfectly valid approach, but don't tell us that using such a broad brush is data driven.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well I tell you what...you’d feel a lot angrier if this pandemic had crashed your life or caused the death of a close one, and not simply put a hold on a pastime...some really do need to get real about how dreadful this last year has been for many. Maybe they don’t matter.:mad:
Oh get over yourself!!!! We all get that people have been affected and died Durring this pandemic. To say that we must all stand back in sorrow and not get frustrated about the restraints put on our life's is stupid. Where in his post did he say they don't matter ??

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Walking the dog yesterday I saw runners in pairs, cyclists in pairs. They are already favouring certain sports on that basis. The reasoning behind the golf ban is optics, nothing else.
That can be construed as coming under the banner of exercise.
Golf, tennis, bowls, etc etc lumped together as "sport"
Wasn't that a reason in the first place when EG asked for an exemption and got refused as they wanted all sport off the menu?
I don't know, I'm just giving a potential reason.

Yes, I want to get back playing tomorrow but if its the end of next month rather than 2 weeks time I'm not going to get stressed about it.
We'll have a time frame
Be happy with that.
It could have gone on a lot longer.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, I want to get back playing tomorrow but if its the end of next month rather than 2 weeks time I'm not going to get stressed about it.
We'll have a time frame
Be happy with that.

Be happy that something is being taking away and business' and people are financially suffering, for absolutely no valid reason?

Tho I must reinforce i don't think it's true and the media have jumped the gun, once again.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I had multiple runners and cyclists squeeze by me on narrow pavements yesterday, they would have been less than a yard away. Surely in relative terms, that poses far more of a threat than a couple of golfers with a hole to themselves?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Be happy that something is being taking away and business' and people are financially suffering, for absolutely no valid reason?

Tho I must reinforce i don't think it's true and the media have jumped the gun, once again.

The media don't make this stuff up. It gets leaked to them in advance as a matter of course.

HeftyHacker

Visit site

Well the vaccine minister has just been all over the BBC confirming much of the above re the 29th so I'd say its pretty reliable info now.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I am not specifically talking about golf but I’m sure someone might be able to prove that the (percieved) age group of golf club members are in a high risk group and therefore it shouldn’t be allowed.
Please take note, I am not saying golf shouldn’t be allowed but saying that stats
can proof anything if you want them to.

The data has been produced and proves quite the opposite and has been sent to the appropriate authorities. They have apparently chosen to ignore it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's possibly down to not wanting to be seen to be favouring 1 or 2 sports at the expense of others.
And they did say lockdown was going to be eased slowly.
I'm happy that it's going to be in March...was half expecting mid April.?
This is what I've always thought it was. Rather than assessing each sport individually, they've just blanket banned them, so it doesn't look like golf has got preferential treatment, and they don't get moaned at by brain-dead fans of other sports saying things like "golf is allowed, so why can't I grapple with strangers on a rugby pitch?? It's out of order!"

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That can be construed as coming under the banner of exercise.
Golf, tennis, bowls, etc etc lumped together as "sport"
Wasn't that a reason in the first place when EG asked for an exemption and got refused as they wanted all sport off the menu?
I don't know, I'm just giving a potential reason.

We'll have a time frame
Be happy with that.
We can play semantics back and forth on this. Golf is exercise. Running and cycling are in the Olympics, receive millions each in sporting grants. It's 2 people carrying out a sporting activity. Is there really a difference?

Ultimately what happens happens. I'm just having a morning grump about it today ??

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We can play semantics back and forth on this. Golf is exercise. Running and cycling are in the Olympics, receive millions each in sporting grants. It's 2 people carrying out a sporting activity. Is there really a difference?

Ultimately what happens happens. I'm just having a morning grump about it today ??
I can tell:whistle::LOL:

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Thank god, we are (hopefully) getting an official announcement today and all these pointless speculation threads can stop! Then we can have the endless 'it's ridiculous we can't play golf yet but I can do this, that and the other' posts

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Oh get over yourself!!!! We all get that people have been affected and died Durring this pandemic. To say that we must all stand back in sorrow and not get frustrated about the restraints put on our life's is stupid. Where in his post did he say they don't matter ??
Rather than whinge we could actually just be grateful...and wait a little longer. In the great scheme of things it’s no big deal and really nothing to get angry about.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Has travel for golf been mentioned? That is a real barrier to many playing golf in Scotland at the moment. Here you are not allowed to travel from one county to another. Even if you are only a few miles away you are not allowed.

I read on BBC this morning (although now, typically, I can't find the article) that there will be no travel restrictions after that 29th March date BUT hotels and hospitality are unlikely to be open. So i guess that means you could travel for golf. Guidance was still to stay in your local area though.

However this guidance is England-centric so Scotland may have other plans.