Boris will let us play golf on March 29

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
For particular activities that require multiple staff in an enclosed space for a prolonged period, my employer has introduced Lateral Flow Testing. It takes less than half an hour and is supposed to be reliable. Would probably be useful for organised sport training and competition, although I have no idea of cost.

It was a one in one out into a large shed outdoors. temperature taken by infrared thermometer, not perfect by any means, but would have kept the transmission down considerably

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's a completely different and valid question. I don't think any leagues are starting. For community teams like ours it is more for the social aspect of being able to meet up with your team mates, which we have basically lost for a whole year

I agree and that is important, still miss meeting up with the team even 10 years after I had to stop playing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
29th March - now I have two fingers and my legs crossed. My birthday is around that date and I know it takes more than the digits on two hands to count the number of times it has snowed on my birthday.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Golf reopens and I get 2 weeks off to enjoy being back playing. That'll be 2 weeks of playing golf all day, every day then! (Seriously - easy 15 rounds)

Try and tell me working in a school isnt genius! :ROFLMAO:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For particular activities that require multiple staff in an enclosed space for a prolonged period, my employer has introduced Lateral Flow Testing. It takes less than half an hour and is supposed to be reliable. Would probably be useful for organised sport training and competition, although I have no idea of cost.

https://ukwholesales.co.uk/covid-19...gJwniOhPzp8BMx46OCbYWgpmVLPw4r7MaAtU-EALw_wcB

There have been reports that of a quite a few false positives which will then require a 'standard' test.

Lloyds Pharmacy

You can get a swab test to confirm whether or not you currently have COVID-19 from Lloyds Pharmacy for £110 (down from £119), which is suitable for those aged 18 or over.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Rolls ups can still be incorporated within a booking system

Currently at the moment we do a “virtual roll up”

I get the names - do a draw and then we book the times - at the moment we turn up and then go home after

But when things are eased a little we will prob all turn up before the first tee - have a chat and a coffee , go out and play , then finish with a drink in the bar

I’m not sure if we will keep tee times as there are positives and negatives about it - it will be interesting to see what the members think , older established members want to get rid of it - the newer younger ones want to keep it - dilemma time

We were doing things in a similar way.

We have half a dozen tee times allocated by the club every Saturday when no comp is on. I collate names a week in advance, they pay their entry fee via online banking, I draw individual times and email the club.

After their round everyone WhatsApp’s their card to me, and I send out the results, with winnings paid online. Simple. Not a roll up in the strictest sense, but the next best thing.

sunshine

Visit site
29th March whoopee do...golf is and has been destroyed by this government. No roll ups likely to ever be run again. No standing at the bar with a beer after a round. No swapping cards before a round of golf. Crappy bunkers with no rakes. No hearing the sound of a putt going into a hole without a flag. No handshakes before and after games. No trying out friends clubs. The list goes on. I don't care when it comes back as it's already long gone in my mind and heart

"Golf has been destroyed by this government" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Boris on a crusade to rid the world of golf. None of us will ever stand at the bar with a beer again. It's all a big conspiracy theory. Comedy gold.

sunshine

Visit site
Currently at the moment we do a “virtual roll up”

I get the names - do a draw and then we book the times - at the moment we turn up and then go home after

But when things are eased a little we will prob all turn up before the first tee - have a chat and a coffee , go out and play , then finish with a drink in the bar

I had to double check that this was written today and not last year. This reads like you have been breaching lockdown to continue playing golf :eek:

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Who is ultimately responsible for failing us?

England Golf have put out plenty of strongly worded open letters, but are they in the ear of the Minister for Sport enough to be heard?

Does the minister for Sport not listen to England Golf? Does he not look to the facts and look at the data?

The Angling Trust managed to be heard... they made their case and the government listened. Why has golf not been able to receive the same representation?

This is a really good point. During lockdown walks, I've been amazed to see rowing boats and sailing boats out daily on one of the large lakes near me, with multiple occupants, all using shared equipment. On checking my facts before reporting it as a blatant breach of lockdown, I discovered that the national sailing and boating authorities had managed to negotiate that it was classified as essential exercise, and therefore the facilities could remain open. Which astonished me, but the police confirmed it.

So yeah, it wasn't a blanket lockdown of all amateur sports, and some sporting organisations were more successful in arguing their case than others.

D

Deleted member 16999

This is a really good point. During lockdown walks, I've been amazed to see rowing boats and sailing boats out daily on one of the large lakes near me, with multiple occupants, all using shared equipment. On checking my facts before reporting it as a blatant breach of lockdown, I discovered that the national sailing and boating authorities had managed to negotiate that it was classified as essential exercise, and therefore the facilities could remain open. Which astonished me, but the police confirmed it.

So yeah, it wasn't a blanket lockdown of all amateur sports, and some sporting organisations were more successful in arguing their case than others.
Eton has a very good Sailing Club and Rowing team, their Golf Course is mainly used by the Staff.;)

D

Deleted member 15344

I have spent time this morning sorting out the tee booking rules and configs

I can already see people logging in looking at the tee sheets ?

Harley-D

Visit site
Interesting thread. So much so I registered!
I too am very disappointed that another five weeks will pass before I am allowed to play. I thought/hoped it might be the 8th. I can see all the arguments for opening sooner, or for not closing in the first place. But I can also see that they want to keep it simple and avoid most of the messy nonsense of tiers and substantial meals, etc which just made them look embarrassing. However, I do think England Golf have been weak and I for one would like the choice of who represents my interests in future.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How do you figure that out? Roll ups will just return as soon as they're allowed. The bars will open as soon as they're allowed. The practise of shaking hands may not come back but who cares about that? That's not important. A fist bump or a nod means the same thing.

Oh ffs I hope handshakes are gone for good

Dates back from medieval times where you shook hands to show you weren't reaching for your sword

Little fist pump is so much more 2021

Mandofred

Visit site
Oh ffs I hope handshakes are gone for good

Dates back from medieval times where you shook hands to show you weren't reaching for your sword

Little fist pump is so much more 2021
I don't mind the handshake at the very end. At times however.....it gets silly. There have been times when I've had to shake hands 3 times in the last 3 holes or so (decider on total score, and back 9 score, and then just because after the 18th). Before we quit again, most people were just doing a putter head tap at the end......that's good enough for me. One guy I've talked into just bowing.....I like it.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
All seems a bit bizarre, you play golf for 4 hours, probably go for at least one pee each in between getting all sorts of dirt and chemicals on your hands, then firmly press your palms together at the end... ?

Happy with fist bumps from now on.
Some of us, at least, can go without going...so to speak.....:whistle:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
All seems a bit bizarre, you play golf for 4 hours, probably go for at least one pee each in between getting all sorts of dirt and chemicals on your hands, then firmly press your palms together at the end... ?

Happy with fist bumps from now on.

Didn't the Navy teach you not to pee over your fingers? ;)