Blm-Renaming the masters

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Guessing by what I assume Orikoru's age range to be id be surprised if he did know or remember that, I certainly have no memories of that in my lifetime and I turn 40 this year. But I am aware it happened I'd assume that rule changed very early 1980s or late 1970s around the time Clifford Roberts tournament co founder took his own life at the club.

Plus the fact Roberts was a known racist who is on record stating all players should be white and caddies black adds to my assumption his death triggered the change in the disgusting archaic rule.

The Masters may just be a name of the event, but I can see why people of BAME origin would see this a name and event that originates with race related bigotry. Due to the black caddy rule and fact they banned anyone of black descent from playing in it until 1975 when Lee Elder was the first black man permitted to play.
It was not until 1975 that a coloured player was invited to play at Augusta when Lee Elder participated. Seem to remember black caddies being stopped at the Masters because of a row with the tour players wanting their own caddies

D

Deleted member 1147

Anyone watched the documentary on sky golf about Loopers?
There’s quite a bit in that about the Augusta caddies.
Well worth a watch

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I think the point is about racial equality. Anything that moves us closer to that can only be good.

Papas is right

Changing words and history will not bring us racial equality it needs to be done in school years where kids should be told about equality in a way that they learn that anyone different is not an excuse to treat them differently. Discrimination is, imo, mostly bought out in kids by their parents who carry racist views from their own childhoods, then spread their views like a coronavirus. 3 year old kids in nursery dont see difference of colour, sex or even physical appearance in their playmates, they are not born racist, sexist, homophobic etc they learn it, and they can learn that these views are wrong but, I'm sorry, changing words, history etc is not going to bring change, in fact may even make matters worse - but education can!

Just my opinion though

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
This is getting silly now

I feel under pressure to don a hair shirt, whip myself with a wet lettuce and ask for forgiveness for the murder of Rasputin and the blooming awful Warsaw Concerto

With apologies to S Milligan Esq

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
This is getting silly now

I feel under pressure to don a hair shirt, whip myself with a wet lettuce and ask for forgiveness for the murder of Rasputin and the blooming awful Warsaw Concerto

With apologies to S Milligan Esq

Unfortunately Phil it's been silly for a number of years and highlighting "non-problems" like the master bedroom "issue" only serves to either diminish the real issue or wind up people who would otherwise be sympathetic to the real issue.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...Seem to remember black caddies being stopped at the Masters because of a row with the tour players wanting their own caddies
1. It wasn't specifically 'black caddies' it was the requirement to use Augusta caddies.
2. It came to a head when several of the Augusta caddies failed to turn up on time the day following a rain delay of the Thursday 1982 event. Players had long wanted to use their own caddies but, typically, Augusta kept the 'tradition' after the 3 other majors had relented.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Papas is right
3 year old kids in nursery dont see difference of colour, sex or even physical appearance in their playmates, they are not born racist, sexist, homophobic etc they learn it,
And how do they learn it? I doubt it's via interpretive dance, or semaphore - I suspect its more likely to be via "words". Words matter. And thinking they don't is part of the problem.

But in terms of changing the name of the tournament - yes, I agree its silly. Someone is just trying to wind up an argument. And it looks like they are suceeding in winding one up?