Blm-Renaming the masters

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
It’s not the name that is the problem it is the deep rooted racism that has never gone away and certainly hasn’t gone away from multi millionaire pound country clubs in white America. Changing the name won’t be an issue people will still watch it. But it will show change in equality.

It wouldn’t change anything. It would just show a business pandering to what they feels will keep the money rolling in. Fortunately I think this event is of such prestige it wont give in to this ridiculous idea.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have never, ever heard the phrase Masters and thought about slave masters.

Do you not remember, not that long ago, when players at the Masters were not allowed their own caddies but had to use those employed by Agusta National all of whom were black and wore white overalls?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Why don’t they just call it “The Augusta National Invitational”?

Because Maters of golf (as it was named after) sounds better. An invitational (which i accept it is), doesn’t hold as much prestige. I can’t believe the subject even has any traction tbh.

If people want to cancel the co p due to a dubious past, I could understand. But rename it because of one connotation of a word. No thanks. As had been posted by others, lots of other meanings would Need scrapping too.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Do you not remember, not that long ago, when players at the Masters were not allowed their own caddies but had to use those employed by Agusta National all of whom were black and wore white overalls?

Golf has a new wave of fans. Lots of us weren’t playing golf (or even born Prior to 83).
That being said, I’d imagine those caddies were instructed to call the golfers ”Sir”, not “Master”.

D

Deleted member 1147

Because Maters of golf (as it was named after) sounds better. An invitational (which i accept it is), doesn’t hold as much prestige. I can’t believe the subject even has any traction tbh.

If people want to cancel the co p due to a dubious past, I could understand. But rename it because of one connotation of a word. No thanks. As had been posted by others, lots of other meanings would Need scrapping too.
It was the original name of the tournament

Wolf

Visit site
Guessing by what I assume Orikoru's age range to be id be surprised if he did know or remember that, I certainly have no memories of that in my lifetime and I turn 40 this year. But I am aware it happened I'd assume that rule changed very early 1980s or late 1970s around the time Clifford Roberts tournament co founder took his own life at the club.

Plus the fact Roberts was a known racist who is on record stating all players should be white and caddies black adds to my assumption his death triggered the change in the disgusting archaic rule.

The Masters may just be a name of the event, but I can see why people of BAME origin would see this a name and event that originates with race related bigotry. Due to the black caddy rule and fact they banned anyone of black descent from playing in it until 1975 when Lee Elder was the first black man permitted to play.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Guessing by what I assume Orikoru's age range to be id be surprised if he did know or remember that, I certainly have no memories of that in my lifetime and I turn 40 this year. But I am aware it happened I'd assume that rule changed very early 1980s or late 1970s around the time Clifford Roberts tournament co founder took his own life at the club.

Plus the fact Roberts was a known racist who is on record stating all players should be white and caddies black adds to my assumption his death triggered the change in the disgusting archaic rule.

The Masters may just be a name of the event, but I can see why people of BAME origin would see this a name and event that originates with race related bigotry. Due to the black caddy rule and fact they banned anyone of black descent from playing in it until 1975 when Lee Elder was the first black man permitted to play.
I seem to remember reading an article on the masters that said the caddies were all up in arms when Augusta allowed players to use their own caddies. This shows the caddies were happy with the situation and we should be careful in trying to project our thoughts and feelings into them. Especially now we are all trying to be right on and everything!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What about my old Headmaster he won Mastermind and had a masters degree.
What would he be called now just Head.
That’s what my missus called her boss ( sometimes )

Wolf

Visit site
I seem to remember reading an article on the masters that said the caddies were all up in arms when Augusta allowed players to use their own caddies. This shows the caddies were happy with the situation and we should be careful in trying to project our thoughts and feelings into them. Especially now we are all trying to be right on and everything!
Im certainly not trying to project my thoughts merely saying I can understand it when it's a proven fact the former tournament co creator and chairman was a proven racist and made that statement.

I have no issue whatsoever with the tournament name personally, to be fair I don't even find the Masters that good a tournament. But I'm merely saying I can understand why some people may view it differently.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Putting today’s standards to history is going to lead to more problems imo.
Changing the names of things that “may” or may not have its history in the slave trade , like Penny Lane that is not proven in any history books will create resentment from other people.
Let’s sort today’s problems first , we can’t rewrite history.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always assumed that Masters was to signify those people who are at the top of their trade.
Yes the Slave Masters were.
But was the term Master used before or after the slave trade..
If it was coined for the slave trade then yes it should be changed.
But if it was already in place before then no it shouldn’t.