Blade curiosity

Teeshot

Club Champion
combestone.com
Sorry for all the questions with my posts guys!
Still- you all tend to give such good (and varied) views I'll give it a shot...

I think cavity backed clubs are ugly. I understand they are a real game improver, and that they must be far easier and more forgiving to hit than a blade, and certainly for me at my current level I am very glad of them.. but.. How much harder is a blade to hit than a cavity back? I have never tried a blade, but one day I will. How good should you be (guage it by handicap perhaps?) do you think before going for blades? It will be a long time, if ever, before I do but just wondered what the real difference is and if any of you use blades- my Grandad has some and wouldn't be without them.

What advantage would a better player get from a blade? More shot shaping, and feel is my guess.

Plus, do ALL the pros use blades?

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
The beauty of Blades is that they are easier to shape shots with. For a mid handicapper like myself, I'm just happy to hit my shots straight. It is true the cavity back clubs are a lot more forgiving and easier to hit and thats why I personaly wouldn't change until I reached single figures (and as that aint gonna happen I'll stick with cavity backs)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have just changed from blades to a blended set. 7 and down are not a problem if you are a reasonable ball striker. The 5 and 6 are a bit more unreliable, but if you middle them are really rewarding, and the 4 and 3 (let alone the 2) are very inconsistent unless you really hit your long irons well. One day it is great, the next you might as well hit a 7i round and forget the rest.

They go really well down the range, but then as pointed out on other posts, mats are quite forgiving for long irons.

It is amazing how many really good ball strikers (with low h/caps to match) would not consider a bladed club. It is also amazing how many players with high h/caps and dodgy swings want to play with them.

It will remain a mystery.

That said, they are beautiful, but are best used for polishing and hanging on the wall.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
I had blades and went to a shallow cavity blade looking set like Murph said the long irons are hard to hit

If i bought now i would of got the ZBs long irons look the same as mine but with bladed short irons

The thing with blades is the higher cg to get the ball going forward not up,the lower it goes the more it can move both ways.

Why not buy a bladed demo 6 iron and have a bash with one,you can get them out of the pros old stock for under a tenner

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I am experimenting with blades and to be honest they look so lovely I want to caress them rather than hit them!

When you hit a sweet hit with a blade it is incredible and the differemce is immense.

I have found as mentioned by chris that the higher clubs are still easy to hit if you are half decent, I am ok with 6I upwards but 3,4 & 5 are very unpredictable day to day.

On current form I will probably be going for a blended set of ZB's or a set of AP2's when "Jons Jolly Fund" is suitable replenished.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I had the same curiosity about hitting bladed clubs. I went down to the range on wednesday and they had a bag full of demo irons . I spotted a titleist blade 6i (can't remember the model) so I decided to give it a bash. I hit about 10-15 balls with it and I didn't really notice much difference, it was freezing cold so not a fair test really in terms of how it felt.
Blades do look lovely,simple & elegant but after the guys words on the forum I don't think I'd buy some anytime soon!
I play with a guy quite regular who plays off 4 and he uses ping g5's. I think a lot of people WANT to use blades for all the wrong reasons.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
PLenty of pros use cavity or shallow cavity irons. Nobody hits the ball perfect every time and the cavity helps out if you misshit. Its down to what you like and what you want.

Some cavity-backs do look pig-ugly. But some do look ok and at address (apart from the top-line) they almost all look the same anyway.

mikeyh

Club Champion
Visit site
I have muscle backs, which are supposed to be a touch more forgiving. I also struggle to be really consistent with anything more than a 7 iron, but all wedges and low irons are great. The feel is amazing. I only bought up to a 5 iron then use a 23 degree hybrid for anything between 170 yards and 210, works for me. I did consider buying some easier clubs to hit, but everytime a clean mine i just can't part with them!!

Blades don't help with mis hits though!

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
When i used to miss the middle of the face i would lose about a clubs distance another reason i changed

The Taylormades look stunning probally the best looking iron on the market

I also have a friend off 5 who used Ping g10s he loves them its not what you use its what you do with them.I still prefer classic looking clubs even if a more forgiving club would help me more

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bladed clubs are great if you are a consistant hitter, I would advise any new golfer to avoid them until they are a low h/c player, I dont see the point in a golfer wanting to struggle with blades when there is so much out there to benefit the game.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think there is no doubt that blades are beautiful but there sweet spot is just so much smaller than even shallow cavity clubs and there is really no margin for error. A mishit shot will be punished in lost distance.

I understand what you mean about the game improver cavity backs being unsightly but if you look at tour models they are a cut above with smaller heads, marginaly reduced cavity and a thinner top line. My pro has a set of X20 tours and he hits them pretty well (got to final Open qualifying so they must have worked). By all means go and hit a blade even at this stage of your golfing career and feel the difference. WHen you middle one it will really fly, low and penertrating, but get one off centre and you will see the difference. Just don't thin one in this cold weather. It will really hurt!

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When I played golf in the 1960s there was no choice. Cavity back clubs did not exist so I started with blades and the driver was persimmon with steel shaft. I just had to get on with what was available. That could explain why it took about two years to break 100.

Teeshot

Club Champion
combestone.com
I think someone on here once described blades like trophy wives. Great to look at, great for your mates to look at, but are expensive and tempremental :rolleyes:

I'd love one, but I don't have the ability to handle it!

Totally agree- I am desperate to try them, even if it proves how sh1te I am!!!

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've just gone from Zing2's to Titleist APS's, and I love em, look and feel clean as a whistle at address.

True blades however,..... I wont ever do, just soooooooo unforgiving.

And, you can cut yourself on 'em !!

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nope they aint blades they are dual cavity like TonyN`s irons, if you look at the worlds top 50 nearly all of the Titleist players play with the AP2 just because they are so forgiving for them compared to blades, fair play if you can hit blades but I personally dont see the point of making the game any harder than it is.