Ben Hogan.. Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've finally got round to buying this book after years of "Always going to".
It's been delivered this morning and is still sitting wrapped in it's Amazon box here on my kitchen table.
Before I open it, I thought I'd ask the good members of the forum if anyone has it and what they thought of it, as every review I've read has recommended it in glowing terms.
It's difficult to comprehend that a book written 50 years ago is still relevant to today's game, but I suppose that's the genius of Hogan.
It feels like Christmas day here.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
every single golf book i've read has filled my head with nothing but confusion and overloading of too many facts!

i have vowed never to read another golf instruction manual for as long as i play the game :)

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
every single golf book i've read has filled my head with nothing but confusion and overloading of too many facts!

i have vowed never to read another golf instruction manual for as long as i play the game :)

The key is to keep that for practice and trust what you have when playing.

I have not read anything by Hogan so can't really comment the reason is a bit silly I have always hit a draw and he hit it the other way, but I am tempted let me know what you think of the book.

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Had it for a while now.

Quite technical and some of it I think is pointless for us mere mortals (pronation and supination anyone???)

There are some who say it's basically a book about how Hogan built a swing to fight a hook.

But overall I think it's a great read for help in understanding what happens throughout the swing,the illustrations are superb and if you know what you are doing wrong it's useful for using as a guide to what you should be doing.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I found it way too technical, and mostly beyond my comprehension.
If this is you, fine, but it wasn't me.

Hope you enjoy it.

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
Atticus,

5 Lessons is a book you may read and think, "What's all the fuss about?" It's not fancy and it's not overly complex, but what it is is every single thing you need to build a great golf swing. Actually, everything except the section on grip. If you grip it like Hogan suggests you'll have to work your backside off not to slice it into next week. Many great teachers suggest that strengthening the grip a touch to a proper 2 to 3 knuckler THEN following everything else will result in gold.

It's one of those books that is so matter of fact you have to read it very slowly and re-read it many times to pick up all the little nuances that make up the Hogan swing.

B

birdieman

Had it, skimmed a few bits then let it go.
I have to agree with Slugger on this - paralysis by analysis with too much 'do this' and 'do that' - just hit the fecker! I got rid of loads of golf instruction books.

I dont think many of us have the time or energy to devote hundreds of hours to building a new swing.

Beautifully illustrated and a nice book to have though. Probably a bit dated but Hogan swung it better than anyone. I'm sceptical because I dont think I can take in any more golf instruction stuff, my brain is too little and full enough already.

I know you're a Hogan fan so enjoy.

Let us know if you change anything about your game after reading it.

romsyam

Medal Winner
Visit site
This is without doubt the most important book in golf swing teaching. I personally don't find it too technical at all. This was written by one of the best ball strikers of all time and what he learnt after studying the game. What is amazing is the fact that 90% of the teaching is still as relevant today which shows the man knew exactly how the perfect swing should be. He was way ahead of the game.

Watch this clip and tell me his swing is not a thing of beauty. Absolutely amazing. My friend who is PGA swears by the contents too. I find it perfect to come back to check certain parts of my swing when trying to learn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_6M_xZvq0

romsyam

Medal Winner
Visit site
His swing is very flat by most standrads. It is however how he sees the most power coming from a golf swing. This was where hogans pane of glass was born.

Its an absolutly beautiful swing, better than woods. He was only a realively small fellow too. Woods stated that this is how he learnt about the golf swing from this book, I think he says it in an interview on the net somewhere.

painterboy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If there is one thing to take from it is his advice on how he uses the elbows, i.e. how he maintains the 'triangle' this is a basic swing concept of almost all professional golfers.

A very good read.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive got it also in an earlier revision. Its a very good book to help settle some of the questions you had in your tangled up mind. The illustrations are hand drawn but surprisingly clear.