Beginner looking for new driver

Jay412

Visit site
Hello All,
I am in the market for a new Driver. I was looking at the speedzone xtreme, mavrik max, epic flash, radspeed xd, pingg410 and titleist TS3. I am a beginner, I slice the ball, top it at time etc. I am LH. So I can't go try out alot of these. Wanted to get everyone's experience, advice etc. Looking for distance and forgiveness. Any suggestions and advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Straight Flight Technology
Draw bias as well as adjustable
The 425 has straightened Fragger out ( mostly) so it has to work.....

G1z1

Visit site
My bad shot is a slice and I had a go with the ping g425 stf it’s crazy how easy that thing is to hit but pro told me if you plan on getting good at golf fix your swing and don’t use a anti slice club.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My bad shot is a slice and I had a go with the ping g425 stf it’s crazy how easy that thing is to hit but pro told me if you plan on getting good at golf fix your swing and don’t use a anti slice club.
Every little helps though. I used to have a fair bit of a slice, and with the Ping SFT I have a manageable gentle fade most of the time. It wouldn't cure you completely, it just takes the edge off and makes it more playable.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Isn't there a Ping G and G400 SFT, might save you a few bob and as a beginner probably would not notice a difference

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
I like the Pings too, from 410 onwards you have the adjustable weight which does make a difference (at least it does with me) go for a standard and set it in draw bias, you can then adjust as your swing develops to standard or even fade. I don’t think the pings go as far as some others if you flush your driver but there about as good as you can get if (like me) you hit the ball with all parts of the face!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
The Ping G425 SFT has completely transformed my driving. I still hit bad ones and even the occasional slice still, when it's a really poor swing, but it's so much more forgiving and is keeping me in play a hell of a lot more!

oleinone

Visit site
You don't mention lessons.Your pro and practice will help you sort out some of your basic issues. He/she will also give you valuable advice about your choice of a big stick. As a beginner, I'd be looking at something 2nd hand - Ping G20? Bear in mind that a fitting won't work as a repeatable swing won't be there yet. In a few months, you can splash the cash on a current model.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A slice is caused by an out to in swing with the clubface pointing left at impact.
To stop the slice you need to fix those two faults.
Or buy 13 anti-slice clubs

HeftyHacker

Visit site
A slice is caused by an out to in swing with the clubface pointing left at impact.
To stop the slice you need to fix those two faults.
Or buy 13 anti-slice clubs

Apologies for my ignorance, I know you are the respected voice of the coach on here, but I was always under the impression that a slice was caused by an out to in swing where the clubface is pointing right of club path at impact (ie. open)? Pointing left (closed) would result in a hook to my mind?

All of the above is assuming a right handed golfer.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Apologies for my ignorance, I know you are the respected voice of the coach on here, but I was always under the impression that a slice was caused by an out to in swing where the clubface is pointing right of club path at impact (ie. open)? Pointing left (closed) would result in a hook to my mind?

All of the above is assuming a right handed golfer.

Have you worked it out yet?