Nike Vapour 3 wood setting for beginner 13deg to 17deg?

Dilly75

Visit site
Hello I have just picked up a pair of Nike Vapour woods 3 and 5 for £30 each in great condition. The 5 is fixed at 19deg but the 3 is adjustable from 13deg to 17deg. I use a Srixon adjustable driver which I have set at neutral and 10.5deg as it would come new.

I have initially set the 3 wood to neutral and max loft of 17deg. Thinking higher loft equals more forgiveness and height for extended air time.

I have only played for about two months. I am 47 and think I have a slow swing speed. My max drive was 215 yards at the range. I am an arm only swinger and have had one lesson so far which has changed my grip and feels miles better and different but I don't think it's fixed the arm only problem yet and I don't think my drive distance or swing speed has changed.

Any advice for initial settings ?

Many thanks

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Pick the mid point and go from there with testing it. Driver 10.5°, 3w around 15°, 5w at 19° should give you a decent yardage gap. But test this out, as you also want the 3w to be a decent strike each time, and you may find a bit lower or higher helps the strike.
Doesn't matter if the loft gaps are evenly spaced if you can't hit the damn thing!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When you say you are an arms only swinger, do you mean your feet dont move at all or do you end up at the end of the swing up on your right toe ?(right hander)

ricki_fowler_golf_balance.jpg

I only ask as not moving your feet can quickly lead to back pain

Dilly75

Visit site
Exactly that. I stood rock solid and was nowhere near a little foot flick. I couldn't understand where that flick could possibly come from. I kept pulling muscles in my right side.

First lesson my coach changed my grip. I think it's standard for all you lot on here but new to me. Left hand showing 1.5 knuckles etc. It's resulted it a much straighter left arm and I'm starting to have a little foot flick. Just a baby one though.

Funny the detail in this sport. I've stopped pulling my side muscles but feel after a round the next day like I've worked my core a lot but in a good way. Does this mean I'll also end up with a six pack if I swing properly! I'd have to lose a couple of stone to see it though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hello I have just picked up a pair of Nike Vapour woods 3 and 5 for £30 each in great condition. The 5 is fixed at 19deg but the 3 is adjustable from 13deg to 17deg. I use a Srixon adjustable driver which I have set at neutral and 10.5deg as it would come new.

I have initially set the 3 wood to neutral and max loft of 17deg. Thinking higher loft equals more forgiveness and height for extended air time.

I have only played for about two months. I am 47 and think I have a slow swing speed. My max drive was 215 yards at the range. I am an arm only swinger and have had one lesson so far which has changed my grip and feels miles better and different but I don't think it's fixed the arm only problem yet and I don't think my drive distance or swing speed has changed.

Any advice for initial settings ?

Many thanks
I agree with the part in bold. I've been playing (regularly anyway) for 7 years now and I still don't bother with a 3 wood. I don't believe I have the swing speed for it. I just use a 5 wood lofted down to 17.5 as my longest 'fairway' club. Much easier to launch and probably carries further than a 3 wood would for me anyway.

Dilly75

Visit site
I stupidly thought about setting the club in its middle setting in isolation. But after comments here I've considered my driver and 5 and reset the 3 to 15deg. It might make it harder to hit for me but I will try. I sometimes wonder if adjustable clubs are a bit of a gimmick. Both of mine are set middle as a standard club would be.

It does also pose another question of do I need a 3 and 5. Especially if I move the 3 up to 16 or 17deg. Wow All this gets the mind going which I don't mind. More fun than thinking about the sticky heating zone valve or the dishwasher that fills itself because I still haven't changed the fill valve!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I've got a 15° 3w and a 19° hybrid, and then a 23° 4 iron, so the gaps are pretty well spaced.
I know others who have 3w, 5w, 7w and others who have 15°, 19° and 22° hybrids.
It's all about what you can hit and how well!

Dilly75

Visit site
I was a bit anti hybrid, rescue etc and about adjusting clubs to compensate for slice etc. My theory has been to go traditional and try and learn to play properly rather than using things I may be better with. But I understand the differing opinions on this. I'm an extreme case I suppose in that I've literally been playing and sorting out my clubs for only 8 weeks. But if in time I'm struggling I certainly could see the benefit in trying a hybrid etc.

If truth be known I've already told the person who sold me the Nike 3 and 5 that I'll buy his matching Nike hybrid when his replacement comes next month! I will never not be able to give it a try and If I do and it works it'll no doubt end up in my bag and I'll have to eat my words!

ThinBullet

Visit site
If I had a gun to my head, I still couldn't hit a 3 wood off the deck. I've been playing solid for the last 4 years, and on and off since 1992. Just don't carry one. It's 100% me, and there's many who can hit them well. The traditional thought of a Driver, 3 and 5 wood in the bag isn't a thing anymore. I have a bag that suits my course now.

I tried about 6 demo 3 woods from the pro shop last Saturday and it was such a hilarious window of time for those around me. We just laughed as the pured 230 yarder was followed up by the 60 yard top spinner, or the wild 9 foot launch and height thin bullet hahaha.

I'd get on a ball tracking range (TopTracer) with the 3 wood wrench, and play about with the sleeve settings. Then settle on what ball flight and consistency you preferred. It's a lot of fun. I'm not 100% sure of Nike gear, but changing loft, can have an effect on lie and face angle on other models, so you might like the look of a setting at address, but can't hit it for toffee, and vice versa.

Dilly75

Visit site
Hi. Often a slice which I have counteracted by aiming slightly left to land back on the fairway. My better shots go slightly left then curve back to straight but when that happens I don't know what I've done differently!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi. Often a slice which I have counteracted by aiming slightly left to land back on the fairway. My better shots go slightly left then curve back to straight but when that happens I don't know what I've done differently!
Loft tends to reduce the ball turning in flight so the higher loft setting would be better for you.

I would suggest you get some help to reduce your slice if you are happy with a fade or work on changing it to more of a draw shape if not. You may need some changes to grip, alignment and swingpath.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Please remember that altering the loft of a driver/3 wood will alter the face angle so it you are struggling to keep it straight altering the loft may make it worse.

Not sure about Nike, but most manufacturers publish details of the impact of altering loft on face angles. The internet could be your friend here.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Please remember that altering the loft of a driver/3 wood will alter the face angle so it you are struggling to keep it straight altering the loft may make it worse.

Not sure about Nike, but most manufacturers publish details of the impact of altering loft on face angles. The internet could be your friend here.
I think with the vast majority of clubs increasing the loft closes the face, while lowering the loft opens the face. We're only talking like 1 degree open/closed though I think.

RichA

Visit site
I think with the vast majority of clubs increasing the loft closes the face, while lowering the loft opens the face. We're only talking like 1 degree open/closed though I think.
Yep. Remember to aim 3.5 yards right of a target 200 yards away. 😆