Time to ditch the 3 wood?

gopher99

Visit site
What do you think the swing speed needed is to get the most out of a 3 wood, I have an old Adams tight lies 3 wood and I tested against the new pxg gen 4 3 wood. There was 3 yards distançe in favour of the pxg club, the fitter said there was no point in changing clubs for that small a gain.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
This why I've been a convert to the 4 wood for many years...
16/17 degrees and I probably don't lose any distance on the 3w and it goes a bit further than the 5w
Still a decent high flight.
Most amateurs just don't generate enough swing speed to make a 3 wood work as it should.
There will be exceptions to that "rule" but not many.
4w/7w is the new 3w/5w......

Me too, 16.5 degrees. Strong enough off the tee and easier to flight off the deck. The old 4 wood is great weapon.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
What do you think the swing speed needed is to get the most out of a 3 wood, I have an old Adams tight lies 3 wood and I tested against the new pxg gen 4 3 wood. There was 3 yards distançe in favour of the pxg club, the fitter said there was no point in changing clubs for that small a gain.

I would not be looking for extra yards. I'd be looking for the proportion that you hit straight or flighted properly. If you can upgrade from hitting 5 good shots out of 10 to 7 or 8, that's a keeper.

Last edited:

gopher99

Visit site
I would not be looking for extra yards. IU'd be looking for the proportion that you hit straight or flighted properly. If you can upgrade from hitting 5 good shots out of 10 to 7 or 8, that's a keeper.

Reading back that didn’t come out like i wanted it to, both 3 woods were hit near enough with the same dispersion. The only difference was 3 yards distance difference in favour of the pxg, my Adams has a kuro kage shaft and the pxg has a diamana dialead s70 shaft in it. So it looks as though I will be keeping my £29.99 sports direct buy?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Reading back that didn’t come out like i wanted it to, both 3 woods were hit near enough with the same dispersion. The only difference was 3 yards distance difference in favour of the pxg, my Adams has a kuro kage shaft and the pxg has a diamana dialead s70 shaft in it. So it looks as though I will be keeping my £29.99 sports direct buy?

Sure, that makes sense, you need to get extra performance to justify the dough.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I can understand how people don't get on with 3 woods though. when I first started playing a had a cobra 5 wood, that I hit very well, so got the same club in the 3 wood, which I couldn't hit for toffee in fact most of the time the 5 went further than the 3. Sold it soon after. But I persevered with 3 woods and eventually learnt how to use one now I wouldn't be without one. But I've a mate who's off scratch and still can't get on with one, he must go through at least 3 or 4 a year, and never settles on one and gets rid.