Ball experts- prov v's prov-x

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Apart from the x what's the difference. I generally don't like prov's off the tee as i find the generate too much spin. But yesterday I used one as a provisional off the 5th and ended up gaming it all game.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Apart from the x what's the difference. I generally don't like prov's off the tee as i find the generate too much spin. But yesterday I used one as a provisional off the 5th and ended up gaming it all game.

Probably nothing most people can notice.

I can tell the difference between an AD-333 type ball and a more premium type ball around the green. Also when I was playing at my best I had to move from the AD333s to a better spinning ball to hold the greens on approach shots.

Those are really the two areas that I think should drive ball choice, if you find one that holds greens and you chip well with then its a keeper!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

Since I moved from the DX3 I've tried both.

From what I can gather the X version is a tad harder that you only notice when putting if I'm honest and seems to fair better in the wind, I assume as it has less spin?

Greenside they are both pretty much the same.

Overall I'd say the difference is so minimal, if you scrubbed the markings off the balls, you wouldn't notice any significant difference or be able to tell them apart.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
See I thought they felt the same green side but didn't seem to shape as easy off the tee, this would give the impression of a harder core, but the same soft outer.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
See I thought they felt the same green side but didn't seem to shape as easy off the tee, this would give the impression of a harder core, but the same soft outer.

That would be my thought.
I love the Prov1-X. Off the tee its longer than any ball I've tried and around the greens has more than enough spin. Not a huge fan of the Prov1 though, just too much spin on the greens.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
There was a Titleist guy at our club in the week recommending balls.

He handed out an interesting little booklet the text of which is here.

http://www.titleist.co.uk/golf-ball-fitting/

If you want to check out the specs of particular models it's all here

http://www.titleist.co.uk/golf-balls/Pro-V1.aspx

[url]http://www.titleist.co.uk/golf-balls/Pro-V1x.aspx

[/URL]

I've used ProV1 and ProV1x recently and can't say I've really noticed much difference.

I have been hitting a lot of fairways with the ProV1x but I have no idea if that is because of the ball or because I'm driving well at the moment.

Last edited:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fair play to those who can tell the difference - buggered if I can without seeing the red number for the x version

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fair play to those who can tell the difference - buggered if I can without seeing the red number for the x version
Good Call

All i have in the bag are titleist , mainly Prov 1 & prov 1x , id say if you were to give me a sleeve of each that were not branded i wouldnt notice the difference , i think at our level our ball striking is no where near good enough to notice the difference ..

i know people mention dimples & spin etc , surely thats only relevent if you hit the ball perfectly all the time .. the robotic arm thingy might show differences , but us mere mortals , i doubt it

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to pretty much agree with everyone else it is all about the spin. The 'X' model is aimed more at people with high swing speeds that tend to generate more spin because of that. With the driver I do notice a difference between the 2 balls. The 'x' definately goes with a lower trajectory.