Ball embedded on the green.

ainley87simon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hello,

On my course we have 2 tier green on one of our par 3's. My question if my tee shot lands on the green and becomes embedded in the slope between two tiers, where do I play my put from, as obviously I cannot lift my ball, repair the pitch mark, and replace the ball as it would just roll down to the bottom tier, which could either be a massive advantage or huge disadvantage.

So what is the correct ruling?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If it were so close to the top that it would be a huge disadvantage to be at the bottom, do the rules prevent you from not quite repairing the pitchmark properly so that the ball would stay in place when replaced?

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it were so close to the top that it would be a huge disadvantage to be at the bottom, do the rules prevent you from not quite repairing the pitchmark properly so that the ball would stay in place when replaced?

That's what I would do R3 - better option even if it bobbles out of the "repair"

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
If you did that knowing you were doing so to stop the ball moving would that not be improving your lie and liable for penalty?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you did that knowing you were doing so to stop the ball moving would that not be improving your lie and liable for penalty?

That's why I asked the question. You're allowed to repair the pitchmark, but who's to say if you've repaired it properly or not?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You should lift the ball repair the pitch mark and replace the ball as close as possible to the place it lay. If it rolls down the slope then you should allow it to as this would have probably happened if the ball had not plugged.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You should lift the ball repair the pitch mark and replace the ball as close as possible to the place it lay. If it rolls down the slope then you should allow it to as this would have probably happened if the ball had not plugged.

Not place it and if it won't stay put then place it on the spot closest to the original position not nearer the hole where it will stay at rest?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not place it and if it won't stay put then place it on the spot closest to the original position not nearer the hole where it will stay at rest?

No. If it wont stay put you should let it roll away, that's just the 'rub of the green' Or, you can put it as it lies.

D

Deleted member 15344

No. If it wont stay put you should let it roll away, that's just the 'rub of the green' Or, you can put it as it lies.

Is "rub of the green" in the rules ?

I'm pretty sure the ball must be placed and not move and if it does must be placed somewhere no nearer the hole where the ball doesn't move.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not often I agree with SR, but I agree.

Had the ball not plug chances are it would have rolled down the hill anyway, as stated its a rub of the green.

Can you show the rule which backs it up ? It's nonsense what "would" have happened and "rub of the green"

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can you show the rule which backs it up ? It's nonsense what "would" have happened and "rub of the green"

Show me the rule that says you can place the ball wherever you deem fit then.

If there is no rule in the rules of golf covering a scenario then you play the ball as it lies, if that means the ball rolls further away then so be it.

I know of no rules for suggesting the ball can be placed, so it has to be played where it stops IMO, if someone shows me different then I'll accept I'm wrong and move on.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

If there is no rule in the rules of golf covering a scenario then you play the ball as it lies, if that means the ball rolls further away then so be it.

I know of no rules for suggesting the ball can be placed, so it has to be played where it stops IMO, if someone shows me different then I'll accept I'm wrong and move on.

20-3-d - Ball Fails to Come to Rest on Spot
If a ball when placed fails to come to rest on the spot on which it was placed, there is no penalty and the ball must be replaced. If it still fails to come to rest on that spot:
(i) except in a hazard, it must be placed at the nearest spot where it can be placed at rest that is not nearer the hole and not in a hazard;
(ii) in a hazard, it must be placed in the hazard at the nearest spot where it can be placed at rest that is not nearer the hole.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well first of all any drop that goes outside two club lengths must be dropped. Any ball that goes nearer the hole must be replaced , what if the "rub of the green" has the ball rolling closer to the hole.

The ball must be putted from where the ball came to rest on the green unless relief is needed to be taken.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
20-3-d - Ball Fails to Come to Rest on Spot
If a ball when placed fails to come to rest on the spot on which it was placed, there is no penalty and the ball must be replaced. If it still fails to come to rest on that spot:
(i) except in a hazard, it must be placed at the nearest spot where it can be placed at rest that is not nearer the hole and not in a hazard;
(ii) in a hazard, it must be placed in the hazard at the nearest spot where it can be placed at rest that is not nearer the hole.

Looks like this is the answer then