At what stage of winter golf is your Club in?

What is the current situation at your Club?

• No Preferred Lies in operation - Q Comps & scores

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • No Preferred Lies in operation - No Q Comps & scores

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Preferred Lies in operation with rules in place for voluntary fairway mats - Q Comps & scores

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Preferred Lies in operation with rules in place for voluntary fairway mats - No Q Comps & scores

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Preferred Lies in operation with rules in place for Mandatory fairway mats - Q Comps & scores

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Preferred Lies in operation with rules in place for Mandatory fairway mats - No Q Comps & scores

Votes: 7 15.6%

• Total voters

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very few ban trolleys up here, in fact I can't think of any off the top of my head. Quite a few use mats though.

Many restrict the areas you can take your trolley, usual routes next to greens, in order to protect areas that get worn, but banning trolleys per se is excessive imo

It's as @Golfnut1957 points out though.
Yeah it makes sense. I usually just end up carrying with 8 or 9 clubs through winter as it's easier anyway.

D-S

Visit site
I’ve only ever heard of one course ever in the South West using mats. Just not a thing or understood in this part of the world, however lots of trolley bans after wet weathe.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
From today, carry only and placing in the general area. (A few have medical or age-related exemption for a trolley)
We've never used fairway mats.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
After being closed on Thursday first thing for the first time in about 5 years due to rain we reopened as Carry Only at 9.30.
From yesterday we are back to normal - only restriction is Preferred lies....
Love Chalk:love:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
S'funny at ours. After closing after a bit of rain, they have now been open, apart from yesterday, despite biblical rain. :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure: But the 14/15 and 16 are now closed, probably until the spring now.

Mandofred

Visit site
I've been using mats on the fairway (optional),.....I'd just as soon use them in the rough as well. The size of divots I'm producing really makes me feel guilty....and trying to find all the bits is wasted effort. Almost always a bare mud lie, so you have to dig away to hit the ball.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We went onto mats today, on fairway, first cut and semi. Judging by the temperature this morning it would have been winter greens for the first time this winter.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Fairways look bleak at North Warwickshire, newsletters galore asking to CARRY. yet website promotes Buggies and trolleys (as they want CASH)

Tee's are like heavy rough, next year they will charge for a tee cutting service as part of the membership options. you get what you pay for as they say. 9 holes course £800 with no irrigation on small tee's (bare lies)

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Ours opened up again yesterday, 10 holes only. It's quite hilly in places and those downslopes can become lethal when they get sloppy.
It will be like this for the rest of the winter, closed, 10 holes, 15 hole, 18 holes, deluge, closed. It will also be mats all winter but no winter greens and buggies when feasible.
The bar will be open all winter.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We were closed on Sunday which was annoying given its weekends only for me over the winter but having been up there early anyway before the decision was made I can see why. The putting green was flooded and so was the first tee box and it didn't take an expert to see it wasn't playable. Returned at lunchtime for a beer to watch the end of the golf, grand prix and rugby and it had dried out impressively but wasn't playable. It's been open yesterday and today but carry only but it is on a knife edge each time we get heavy rain (so tonight and tomorrow) as to how it stands up.

sjw

Visit site
Played at the weekend and we've gone to mats on a few holes. Most of them par 3s which isn't too bad, but I'm not a fan of a mat on a hole longer than that